Financial Aid & Awards Database Description
Through gifts received from friends and family of Dr. John Charles (Jack) Wilt, as well as from medical institutions and medical conferences, the Manitoba Medical College Foundation (MMCF) has established the MMCF – Jack Wilt Travel Award at The Winnipeg Foundation.
Dr. John Charles (Jack) Wilt was born in 1920 and passed away in 1989. He graduated from the University of Manitoba in 1954 with an MD.
The purpose of the fund is to provide travel awards for postgraduate students at the University of Manitoba. Each year, The Winnipeg Foundation will report the available earnings from the fund to Financial Aid and Awards at the University of Manitoba.
The available earnings from the fund will be used to offer one travel award to a student who:
- is enrolled in either:
(a) the Postgraduate Medical Education program in the Department of Medical Microbiology in the Max Rady College of Medicine; or
(b) the Adult or Pediatric Infectious Disease residency training program in the Max Rady College of Medicine;
- is in good standing; and
- will be attending a professional meeting or conference in order to present the results of his/her research (poster or oral presentation).
Evidence documenting the acceptance of a paper or poster presentation should be included with the request for funding. The intention of this award is to assist students with travel expenses for conference travel up to the available annual income generated by this fund.
The selection committee will be named by the Dean of the Max Rady College of Medicine (or designate) and will include the Head of the Department of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (or designate).
The Board of Governors of the University of Manitoba has the right to modify the terms of this award if, because of changed conditions, it becomes necessary to do so. Any future modifications that may be necessary due to changed conditions will require complete consultation with the Winnipeg Foundation.
INFORMATION FOR DEPARTMENT BASED AWARDS ADMINISTRATOR
- Award Selection Form is sent by Financial Aid & Award to the PGME Awards Coordinator.
- The PGME Awards Coordinator forwards the pertinent award information to the Department Based Award Administrator.
- Once a successful candidate is selected, the Department Based Awards Administrator forwards the Residents Name, Student Number & Award Amount back to the PGME Awards Coordinator.
- The PGME Awards Coordinator forwards a signed, completed Award Selection Form back to the Financial Aid & Awards Office for processing.
- The Department or PGME Office is not permitted to provide award status information by email, phone or in person. The Financial Aid & Awards office will notify the awardee by letter.
- Once a cheque has been issued, it will be sent to the PGME Awards Coordinator for disbursement to the Department Based Award Administrator, who will forward the cheque to the successful candidate
For more information, contact:
Program coordinator, Medical Microbiology