On this page

Resources for International Students

Weekly Conversation Group

The International Centre hosts a weekly conversation group each term; all students are welcome!

Join us to learn about other cultures, meet students and practice your conversation skills.
Meet us every Wednesday 1:30-2:30 pm in 541 UMSU University Centre. 

Winter Clothing Library

Opening this Fall.

Accepting donations now.

Check out our donation criteria.  

International Student Newsletter

Get important immigration updates, events, tips and community updates to your inbox every month from the International Centre (IC).

How often will the newsletter be sent?

The International Student Newsletter is delivered on the last week of every month.

Our first issue is being sent out July 28, 2023.

How do I subscribe?

All international students who are registered at UM will be automatically sent this newsletter.

For those who aren't yet registered, or you are a staff, faculty or community member who is interested in receiving the newsletter, you can send an email with 'subscribe' in the subject to international-student-newsletter-join@lists.umanitoba.ca

How can I add content to the International Student Newsletter?

If you are a UM Community member (such as faculty, staff, UMSU recognized student groups, student associations) and would like your UM event featured, please email: crystal.stewart@umanitoba.ca

Connect with an international student advisor

Our international student advisors (ISAs) recognize the unique experience of international students. We are here to help you with your adjustment to life in Canada and throughout your time at the University of Manitoba.

The ISAs at the International Centre work with you at various points during your time at UM to plan ahead or work through challenges regarding personal matters, academics, university regulations and policies and life in Winnipeg. The ISAs can also provide information on immigration regulations as they relate to your studies in Canada such as study permit extensions and changes, Temporary Resident Visas, the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program and more. Our advisors can provide you with the information and referrals you need.

How to book an appointment with an international student advisor:

To book a virtual/in-person appointment to see an International Student Advisor, please go to the International Centre's WaitWell page

We also have in-person drop-in advising, for more information please call our reception desk on 204-474-8501 for details.

Getting settled

Now that you’re here, use these resources to make the most of your time as a UM student.

Housing and Accommodations

One of the first things you need to think about before you come to the University of Manitoba is where you are going to live and how you will arrange it.

Review the information below to make an informed choice on what housing option is best for you. 

It’s always important to think about being a good neighbour, whether you’re living in residence, a homestay placement, an apartment or a house. This means keeping the noise you and your guests make to a reasonable level, keeping shared spaces tidy and clean and keeping open lines of communication with people with whom you’re sharing space.

It is recommended to plan to reserve a temporary accommodation while you are searching for a place to live or waiting for your residence move-in date.

Temporary Accommodations

You might want to consider booking temporary housing in a hotel, hostel, Airbnb suite or elsewhere for when you first arrive in Winnipeg, since it can take a number of weeks to find off-campus housing. You can book these accommodations well in advance, ideally as soon as you know you will be coming to the University of Manitoba.

On-campus Residence

A spot in residence is not guaranteed and is not automatically included in your tuition. If you are considering residence as a place to live, visit our on-campus housing page for a listing of all available buildings on campus. We recommend you apply as early as possible. You do not need to have received your letter of admission in order to apply.  

In addition to University of Manitoba’s main residence buildings, St. John’s College and St. Andrew’s College have small independent residences also located on the Fort Garry main campus.

If you have been approved for on-campus housing, you can contact them to see if an early move-in date is an option for your room.  However, there may be limited services (food) if you arrive earlier than the set move-in date. 

We recommend that you arrange to stay in temporary accommodation (hotel) until you can move in, so that you can still arrive early enough to settle in, recover from jet lag and attend all Orientation programming

What to bring if you’re living on campus

Ensure you’ll have everything you need to set up your new residence in Winnipeg. Refer to "Packing for residence life" in our Moving in information.

Off-campus Housing

While you will need to conduct your own search to find off-campus housing, our rental search resource can be helpful. Once you’ve been accepted to UM, it will be important for you to become familiar with your options for off-campus housing, such as a house, apartment, condo, shared apartment, etc. You can also become familiar with maps of different neighbourhoods in Winnipeg and proximity to campus. 

It is possible to begin your search for off-campus housing from your home country, but you will likely find it easier to conduct your search when you are in Winnipeg. Rental listings usually do not go up more than one to two months before a move-in date. For this reason, many international students consider arriving in Winnipeg three to four weeks before classes to secure off-campus housing.

It's important to verify a rental space is legitimate and as advertised before committing.  You should carefully inspect a location in person before sending any deposits, and fully read and understand the rental contract before you sign.

Students at the Bannatyne campus can consider the Medical Centre Apartments, which are limited to Health Sciences Centre or University of Manitoba students. However, as with University of Manitoba residence, a spot in the Medical Centre Apartments is not guaranteed. 

Another option to consider is living with a local family through the Polar Trails Homestay Program.

We always offer a session on Renting in Manitoba during International Centre Orientation where you can learn about how and where to find safe housing in the city and tips to avoid rental advertisement fraud.

If you want to watch a recording in advance, please click the session below:

Renting Housing in Manitoba (recording) 


Renters rights and responsibilities

As a renter in Winnipeg, you should familiarize yourself with your rights and responsibilities as a tenant. A lot of this comes down to mutual respect—this applies to your landlord-tenant relationship, as well as your relationship with your roommates and neighbours. 


It is strongly recommended to purchase tenant insurance for any rental unit. Contact any insurance provider for information and pricing; it is usually very affordable to include in your monthly budget.

Learn more about the importance of purchasing tenant insurance.

Rights and responsibilities as a renter

The Residential Tenancies Branch is a government service that can provide information on matters such as rent, repairs and deposits, and mediate disputes between tenants and landlords. They provide information on your rights and responsibilities during a tenancy, investigate problems, and hold hearings to make decisions and make legally binding orders on certain issues.

All landlords and tenants in Manitoba are governed by a law called The Residential Tenancies Act, which contains all of the laws and rules that renters and landlords must follow. The Residential Tenancies Branch enforces that law. The Residential Tenancies Branch can overrule any decision made by a landlord if the landlord isn't following the law.

This helpful guide explains what renters need to know about their rights and responsibilities.

Things to be careful when deciding on a rental property:

  • Be sure you, or someone on your behalf, sees the place you want to rent in person before you sign any papers or pay any money, to make sure it is as you expect.
  • Always try to get a lease agreement in writing. If this is not possible for some reason, verbal agreements are still legally binding. Learn more about tenancy agreements.
  • Always pay your rent in full, on time. If you don't, you could be evicted. There are special rules that a landlord has to follow to evict someone, and you can ask the Residential Tenancies Branch for help if you are in danger of being evicted. However, if you don't pay your rent, the landlord will likely be allowed to evict you.
  • Try to pay your rent in a way that creates a record, such as by e-transfer, so you can prove that you've paid your rent. If you pay with cash, always get a receipt from the landlord.
  • You are not protected by The Residential Tenancies Act if you are in a 'shared accommodation' (when a homeowner allows someone to occupy a room in their house while the owner still lives there). This means that your landlord could evict you without notice. If you are not sure if your living situation is a shared accommodation, contact the Residential Tenancies Branch.
  • Make sure your room meets fire and safety codes. Some landlords will rent rooms in locations that are not safe and do not follow the laws. If a room is illegal and is discovered by City of Winnipeg inspectors, you could be evicted with very little notice. If you are not sure if your room is legal, call the 311 service and ask them to send someone to look at the room.

Living in a rooming house

A rooming house is a building rented by several tenants at the same time, sharing facilities like the kitchen, washrooms, laundry and entrances.  In most cases, each individual tenant has a separate rental agreement with the landlord, and each tenant is responsible to pay their own rent. Each tenant has the right to have keys to entrances to the building, as well as a private room with a lock. Usually, each tenant is responsible to supply their own food, bedding, linens/towels, cook their own food and do their own laundry (although some landlords offer these services for a cost). If one tenant doesn't pay their rent, or causes problems, the landlord is not allowed to threaten any other tenants who were not involved with any kind of punishment or demand payment of any money.


Mental Health Supports

There are many supports available for international students, free of charge in a variety of options.

Check out our student supports page for more information.

Sexual violence support and education

The Sexual Violence Resource Centre (SVRC) provides support, education, resources and referral services for any student, faculty or staff member who has been affected by sexual violence. If you or someone you know has experienced sexual violence and would benefit from support, the SVRC can help.

Spiritual Services

Spiritual health services are available to all, whether you identify as spiritual, atheist, religious or agnostic. We recognize, affirm and work with your existing values and beliefs.

Student Counselling and Wellness

Student Counselling and Wellness at the University of Manitoba is available to provide support and services to all University of Manitoba students, including International Students. All of our services are free and International Students can choose from a variety of options to receive help.

Our Health and Wellness services include the recently opened Student Wellness Centre at 162 Extended Education where you can drop by to rest, recharge or connect with other students. The Student Wellness Centre hosts our peer support program called Healthy U – a team of friendly student volunteers who are available to talk with about a variety of health topics.


UM has many academic resources to help you be a successful student. Explore these resources before you arrive to help you understand expectations, policies and services available for support.

Academic integrity

Some rules and expectations at the UM will be different from those you’re used to—even if you have experience at another institution. These expectations are reflected in the values of academic integrity: honesty, trust, fairness, respect, responsibility and courage. How you show these values means different things in different countries and cultures. As a UM student, you are expected to know these rules, apply them and ask questions if you are unsure; otherwise, you could face serious consequences.

Please visit the academic integrity website for more information, and explore their academic integrity tutorial for an introduction to important topics.

Career planning and job preparedness

Career Services supports students from their first year to their final year on campus. They can help you

  • plan your career direction, discover and research suitable jobs and occupations and meet industry professionals; 
  • identify your work and volunteer experience to test career ideas and increase your employability;
  • develop your resumé and cover letters, and learn to network and interview and
  • find on- and off-campus work and opportunities through career fairs, employer events and job postings. 

Language and academic support

Faculty advisors are available to answer questions about studies, grades and course selections, helping students achieve academic success.

The Academic Learning Centre offers many services and workshops, including tutoring, to help students. There are also specific resources available for those who are multilingual learners.

Click here to see upcoming Workshops for undergraduate students.
Click here to see upcoming Workshops for graduate students.

If you need to improve your English, the English Language Centre offers part-time courses to help improve your language skills, including oral English and academic writing. 

These courses are designed to support your language skills only and cannot be used for academic credit with your degree.

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) provides support and advocacy to students with disabilities such as hearing, injury-related, learning, mental health, medical, physical, visual or temporary disabilities. They can provide support and programs for students who may require assistance in the classroom or during exams. SAS highly encourages students to contact their office prior to applying and after accepting offers of admission. This will help prepare them with the necessary information before the beginning of school to offer a successful transition into university life.

Registering for courses

Aurora is our online registration and student information system. Follow the steps on the registration page to ensure you’re prepared and understand how to use the system before registration opens.

For undergraduate students

If you are beginning your studies in the Fall term, you will most likely be able to register for both fall and winter courses at the same time. This is recommended because courses fill up quickly.

If you are beginning your studies in January, many courses may have limited space or already be full. It’s very important to register for your winter courses as soon as possible. Do not wait until after you arrive in Winnipeg.

For Summer registration, you’ll be assigned one day to register for courses during the first week of registration (typically in March). After this first week has passed, the system will become open to all students.

To start preparing for university, check out the First Year Planning Guide. This online document has essential information on how to select and register for your courses, and it’s your best resource for planning your first year.

When selecting your courses, it’s always a good idea to consult with one of our academic advisors. Find your faculty advisor here.

note: If you are not able to begin your studies in your expected start term, you must de-register (withdraw) from any courses you have registered for. Non-payment of fees will not cancel your registration. 

Learn more about fees

If you need to defer your admission to a future term, please contact the admissions office at international_students@umanitoba.ca

Ensure you are aware of the registration revision period and last day to drop courses for a refund. 

For graduate students 

As a graduate student, you should discuss registration directly with your department or unit to determine if you are responsible for registering for your own courses, or if your department will do this for you. For information about registration for graduate students, please review the information provided on the Faculty of Graduate Studies website.

Student Advocacy and Case Management

Student Advocacy and Case Management is a unit that helps students who are dealing with personal or health challenges affecting their academic life. Student advocates can give advice and guidance about a student’s rights and responsibilities within the University and support in dealing with academic or disciplinary matters—including cases where a student may have broken a rule of academic integrity.

Students can also receive personal support and connect to resources on and off campus through the student support case management team. These services are free and confidential.

Support for online learning

Most UM courses will be delivered remotely for Fall 2020 & Winter 2021 terms. This guide will provide you with strategies and resources for successful course completion in a remote learning environment.

Money matters

A university education is an investment and the government requires you to be able to support yourself and your dependents without needing to work in Canada. It’s important that you have a clear understanding of your finances throughout your studies.

If you are facing unexpected financial distress, or have had a significant change in your financial situation, please contact Financial Aid and Awards or the UMSU Hardship Fund.

Awards and scholarships

In addition to your savings and financial support from family and friends, you may be eligible for awards and scholarships.

Undergraduate students

You must have a valid Canadian study permit to be considered for any scholarship or bursary.

Scholarship recipients are selected based on academic merit, while bursaries are based on financial need. 

There are two types of entrance scholarships: the International Undergraduate Student Entrance Scholarships and the International Baccalaureate Entrance Scholarships. Excluding entrance scholarships, undergraduate international students will only be considered for undergraduate scholarships and bursaries after they have completed their first 24 credit hours of study at the University of Manitoba. 

Learn more about entrance and undergraduate scholarships and bursaries for international students.

Graduate students

The Faculty of Graduate Studies will inform you if you qualify for an International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship at time of admission. After your first year of study, you may also qualify for the International Graduate Student Scholarship

The Faculty of Graduate Studies maintains a list of scholarships that international graduate students are eligible to apply for. 

Please visit the awards database for a list of all awards available to graduate students. Students with financial need may also consider applying for bursaries

U.S. citizens can find information about applying for student loans here.


Setting up your account

It’s important to set up a bank account as soon as possible so you can start depositing money, paying bills, and tracking your expenses in Canada. There are two different kinds of financial institutions in Canada: commercial banks and credit unions. There are differences in their ownership structures, the amount of interest that is paid, the fees and the extent of customer service you receive.

Credit Unions are financial co-operatives, owned and controlled by the people who use their services. The people who use credit union services must own shares in the credit union and members of many credit unions share in the profits every year.  Credit unions offer the same services as banks and often have lower fees.

The advantage of banks is that it is often easier to arrange international financial transactions through a bank. There are many banks to choose from, but the CIBC is the only bank that currently offers Automated Teller Machines (ATM) on campus. If you intend to use ATM machines on campus, a CIBC account may save you money in transaction fees.

This tool can help you make the right banking institution choice for you.

In general, there are two types of bank accounts: chequing accounts and savings accounts. 

  • A chequing account is useful for regular transactions such as paying bills or other expenses and for withdrawing money. 
  • A savings account will pay a higher interest rate if you are keeping money in the account for a long period without withdrawals. 

There are different kinds of chequing and savings accounts that offer different levels of interest. The financial institution should be able to explain which account will best suit your needs.

Opening an Account

To open a bank account, you will need to make an appointment at the bank or credit union of your choice. When you go to the appointment, be sure to bring documents such as:

  • your passport and study permit; 
  • your University of Manitoba student card (if you have it);
  • proof of full-time student status (a student status letter from the Registrar’s Office) and
  • any other documents the bank or credit union requests that you bring.

Transaction and Service Fees

Be sure to ask about the transaction and service fees that the bank or credit union charges for writing and cashing cheques, using an ATM card, wiring money, etc.

Learn more about banking services in Canada.

Moving Your Account

If you find that a financial institution’s fees are too high or that you are not satisfied with the service, you can always close your account and move to a different institution.

Debit Cards

When you open a bank account, you will be issued a debit card (also referred to as an ATM card or a bank card) to use in bank machines around the city, or to pay directly for goods and services. This is a secure method of payment, which is protected through the use of a Personal Identification Number (PIN). When you pay using your debit card, the money is immediately deducted from your account. Your bank will typically charge you an additional service fee if you withdraw money from a bank machine that belongs to a different bank.

Credit Cards

Credit cards can be a convenient way to make payments. The amount you spend accumulates on your account and you are responsible for paying off what you’ve spent once a month. Most online purchases are made using a credit card. In order to apply for a credit card, you will need two pieces of government-issued identification. You may want to ask if they have a no-fee student card.

It can be difficult for international students, including U.S. citizens, to get a credit card, and the initial credit limit is often very low (i.e., $250 Canadian), which can make it difficult to use the card to make larger purchases such as an airline ticket. However, if you develop a good credit score (by making your payments on time and in full, not opening multiple credit cards and avoiding credit-seeking behaviours), you can have this limit increased.

If you are facing unexpected financial distress, or have had a significant change in your financial situation, please contact Financial Aid and Awards or the UMSU Hardship Fund.

Banks and Credit Unions close to UM Campus

Most bank and credit union websites offer online branch locators. Simply type in an address in Winnipeg to see a list of branches nearby.

BMO Bank of Montreal
Customer Service: 1-877-225-5266

CIBC - Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce
Toll-free Phone #: 1-800-465-2422

HSBC Canada
Customer Service: 1-888-310-4722

RBC Royal Bank
Toll- Free Phone #: 1-800-769-2511                          

Toll- Free Phone #: 1-800-472-6842   

TD Canada Trust
Toll-free Phone #: 1-866-222-3456

Manitoba Credit Unions


It’s important to develop a realistic budget to help you manage your finances and make the most of your experience. Tuition and school fees vary according to the program of study and course load. For an estimate of the tuition and school fees for your program, please refer to fee information hub. Similarly, additional costs will vary depending on how you choose to live. To help you make your own budget, visit the Government of Canada Student Budget Worksheet.

Explore estimated international student costs for undergraduate programs

Living expenses

The following is an estimate of costs, in Canadian dollars, for a single student living in Winnipeg at a very modest level for one calendar year (12 months). Actual living expenses will vary depending on your lifestyle and could be higher than what is estimated below.

For newly admitted students:

Books and supplies $1,000 – $5,000 *
Accommodation and utilities $6,800** – $16,000
Food $3,500
UMSU Health and Dental Insurance (+ UMSU Legal Protection Program) $373
Manitoba International Student Health Plan (MISHP) $1,032
Miscellaneous (clothing, initial winter clothing, phone, entertainment) $4,140
Transportation (bus pass for 12 months) $1,035
Resettlement costs $1,725

For returning students:

Books and supplies $1,000 – $5,000*
Accommodation and utilities $6,800** – $16,000
Food $3,500
UMSU Health and Dental Insurance (+ UMSU Legal Protection Program) $373
Manitoba International Student Health Plan (MISHP) $1,032
Miscellaneous (clothing, phone, entertainment, ongoing costs) $4,140
Transportation (bus pass from May – August) $345

* Books and supplies fees are subject to change and often increase two to three percent per year.

**Minimum estimate is for a shared accommodation (living with more than one person). Estimates are based on information provided by Canada Student Financial Assistance program and in consultation with UM Financial Aid and Awards.

An additional $5,055 should be added for a first dependent and an additional $5,893 for an additional dependent to cover 12 months of living expenses. Please note, the above spouse and dependent estimates do not include costs for health insurance.

If you have been admitted to UM and require a written estimate of tuition and living expenses, please contact the International Centre at international@umanitoba.ca.

Exchange students

Students coming to UM through the International Centre Student Exchange Program pay tuition to their home universities and not to the University of Manitoba. However, all exchange students will be required to pay Students' Union fees and field trip fees, if applicable. Health insurance fees will vary according to the length of study and the health insurance options chosen.

Paying your fees

How and when to pay your tuition and other fees is going to be one of your first concerns. Familiarize yourself with the tuition fee payment schedule, and instructions on how to pay your tuition fees from outside and inside of Canada. Only use University-approved payment methods. Pay your own fees, and never share your UM student account login information with anyone, not even an agent.

You should check your fee assessments in Aurora Student each term to ensure you can pay your fees by the deadline, as you will not receive a fee assessment or invoice in the mail. 

Not paying your fees by the deadline will result in additional fees charged to your account. Your account will also be put on hold, which is serious and means you will not have access to many essential UM services, including the libraries, computer labs, and official documentation orders from the Registrar’s Office (e.g., a transcript, enrolment verification, etc.). Having a hold on your account will also affect your ability to register for courses, and may result with you being de-registered from future term courses.

Learn more about fee payment deadlines and penalties

Some international students will require a tuition fee and living expense estimate letter as part of applying for their study permit. If you need a fee estimate letter, email international@umanitoba.ca to request one. Please note it can take up to 10 working days for an estimate letter to be issued.

The University of Manitoba only requires that you pay your full tuition by the fee-payment deadline. However, if you would like to pre-pay some of your tuition, or if you are required to, please follow these instructions.

Some programs may require a non-refundable tuition deposit when you apply.

Scams and fraud prevention

Created by the Winnipeg Police Service, read over this brochure on tips to avoid scams and protect yourself from fraud.

Fraud prevention (PDF)

For further information on how to protect yourself, you can find information from the following resources:

Protect yourself from Immigration Fraud

Frauds and Scams (Royal Canadian Mounted Police/RCMP)

Slam the Scam (Canada Revenue Agency/CRA)

Working in Canada

You may consider working in Canada to help earn some extra spending money and gain skills to enhance your employability. However, it is important to recognize that the amount you can earn while working cannot fully fund your expenses.

If you do intend to work during your studies, it is your responsibility to familiarize yourself with very strict requirements that federal government expects international students to meet at all times in order to work on or off campus in Canada during their studies.

Students who wish to stay and work in Canada after their studies are encouraged to work and volunteer to build skills, gain industry connections and references, and enhance their employability. Career Services has a number of resources, such as careerCONNECT, to support you in finding on-campus work, off-campus work and volunteer positions.

You will need to apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) card  in order to work in Canada. To apply for a SIN card, your study permit must have the conditions to work printed on it.

Living and learning in Winnipeg

We know that your first weeks on campus and in Winnipeg can be overwhelming. There’s so much to be done when you arrive! Use these resources to help you get around and get settled.

Cell phone/SIM Card

How & where do I get phone SIM card?

Usually, cell phone providers offer three types of plans:

  • Prepaid (or pay-as-you-go) – basic plan starts at $15 (varies with the features add on like internet data/speed)
  • Monthly plans (or postpaid) –basic plan can start at $35 (varies with the features add on like internet data/speed)
  • Contract-based – will vary depending on the phone you decide to buy (phone EMI + plan)

The conditions, offerings and prices may vary within these plans. Make sure you to talk to the provider before purchasing the one that best suits your needs.

Some main providers are:



Quality child care and family-friendly policies are indispensable to our student, staff and faculty parents. We are committed to providing services and supports that help our students and staff with children thrive, including on-campus child care, change tables, breastfeeding-friendly spaces and more.

Explore the childcare page to learn about existing child care services and supports, as well as the results of our child care Initiative.


Eating on campus

Whether you’re living in residence or off campus, there are many dining options on our campuses. Check out dining services to learn about our restaurants and meal plans.

Off-campus restaurants

Winnipeg is home to a range of diverse restaurants. Find the best places to eat according to Tourism Winnipeg. You can also read more PegCityGrub, Winnipeg’s most popular culinary website.

Buying groceries in Winnipeg

There are many places to purchase groceries (food items) convenient to where you live. Popular grocery stores in Winnipeg include Sobeys, Co-op, Safeway, Superstore and Walmart. Superstore on Bison Drive has a range of foods from all over the world.

Small convenience stores and gas stations, such as 7-Eleven, can be very expensive places to purchase groceries compared to larger grocery stores.

To find grocery stores near the University of Manitoba, explore google maps.

If you cannot find what you’re looking for at a major grocery store, you can visit a specialty food store.

Name of Store Contact information Comments
African Foods General Wholesale 245 Notre Dame Ave
Specialize in foods from a variety of African countries: Nigeria, Ghana, Congo, etc.
Akin’s International Foods 550 Sargent Ave.
African, Caribbean foods. Specialize in pounded yam, Ogi/Koko/Akamu, stockfish, Moin-Moin, cassava leaves etc.
Arirang Oriental Food Mart 1799 Portage Ave.
Specialize in Japanese and Korean foods
Balkan Foods 185 Stadacona  St
Specialize in foods from Poland, Greece, Bosnia, and Italy
Baltona Meat and Deli 600 Selkirk Ave.
Specialize in Polish foods, meats, cosmetics, sweets, and herbs
Bueno Bros Supermarket 84 Isabel St.
Specialize in Philippine foods and other Asian foods: seafood, meats, vegetables, rice, sauces, spices, noodles, etc.
Didar Grocery Mart 110 Adamar Rd. 
East Indian and Canadian foods
Dino’s Grocery Mart 460 Notre Dame Ave. 
Import foods from around the world, especially from India, Pakistan, other Asian countries, and the West Indies
Dong Thai Ltd. 459 Notre Dame Ave. 
Specialize in Cambodian, Chinese, Filipino, Laotian, Latin American, Thai, and Vietnamese imported foods
El Izalco Market 696 Sargent  Ave. 
Specialize in Central American food
A l’Epi de Blé 1757 Main St. 
French Bakery
Greek Market 1440 Corydon Ave. 
Greek foods: olives, olive oil, pitas, desserts
Halal Meats and Specialty Foods 206 Maryland St. 
Specialize in foods from Iran, Syria, Lebanon, Morocco, Somalia, and Pakistan
India Spice House and Video 66 Mandalay Dr.  
Specialize in East Indian food and spices
La Grotta Del Formaggio 550 Sargent Ave. 
Italian and Greek foods
La Grotta Mediterranean Market 1360 Taylor Ave. 
Specialized in Mediterranean foods
Lucky's Supermarket 1051 Winnipeg Ave. 
Specialize in food from all over Asia such as Vietnam, China, Philippines, Japan, Korea, Thailand
Lvov Euro Food Corner 5B-140 Meadowood Dr. 
Offer a variety of food and delicatessen from Europe. Specialize in products from Russian and Ukraine
Meghna Grocery 1741 Pembina Hwy. 
Halal meats, Bangladeshi, Pakistani, Arabian, Indian, and Sri Lankan  groceries
Mercadito Latino 570 Sargent Ave. 
Specialize in Latin American foods
Oriental Market 268 King St. 
Chinese foods, meat, vegetables, seafood
Portuguese Fish and Food Market 460 William Ave. 
Specialize in Portuguese foods, some Brazilian and Chilean foods
Russian Deli Market 643 Portage Ave. 
Specialize in products from Russia and Ukraine
Sangam Grocery Mart 1-933 McLeod Ave. 
Specialize in food from India
Sun Wah Supermarket 303 King St. 
Specialize in frozen seafood, live lobster and crab, and Asian groceries
The Real Canadian Superstore 1578 Regent Ave.
1035 Gateway Rd.
215 St Anne’s Rd. 
2132 McPhillips St.
204-631- 6250
3193 Portage Ave.
550 Kenaston Blvd.
80 Bison Dr.
1385 Sargent Ave.
Wide assortment of specialty foods
Tindahan Food Mart 906 Sargent Ave. 
Specialize in Philippine foods and some Portuguese foods
Wah Hing Grocery 106 - 180 King St. 
Chinese foods, some meats and vegetables, spices, noodles, rice, cooking tools
Young’s Market 1000 McPhillips St. 
Specialize in food from Philippines, China, and Thailand; some food from Japan and Korea
Young’s Trading 397 William Ave. 
Specialize in food from Philippines, China, and Thailand; some food from Japan and Korea


Grocery Stores with Pick-up or Delivery

The following is a list of grocery stores that have curbside pick-up or delivery options in Winnipeg for those who want to minimize their exposure. If you are self-isolating or in your mandatory quarantine period delivery is the recommended option.

Many delivery and curbside pick-up options are limited due to increase in customers using these online methods. As a result, many items may be sold out due to an increase in demand. * Please note that this list may not include all options available for your area.

Name Pharmacy
(in store)
Delivery Pick-up
Save-on-Foods   Yes Yes
Walmart Yes Yes * Yes
Superstore Yes Yes * Yes
Dakota Family Foods
(Place orders by phone)
(Non-perishable food &
household supplies by delivery)
Yes Yes  
Cantor’s Meats   Yes  
Downtown Family Foods   Yes  

Grocery Delivery Companies:

* Instacart
Provides delivery from: Walmart, Real Canadian Superstore, Bulk Barn, M&M Food Market, Shoppers Drug Mart and Staples.

Preparing for winter

Despite the renowned cold, Winnipeg has the sunniest winter season in Canada with 358 hours of sunshine! The average low temperature in the winter is −20.2°C.  It’s important to dress properly so you can be safe and enjoy the winter weather.

Wind chill

The wind chill index is what makes cold temperatures feel even colder, combining the temperature with the wind speed. You might hear reports that it “feels like…” a lower temperature with the wind chill. Be sure to cover any skin that will be exposed to the wind on cold days.


When skin is exposed to cold temperatures, it can be damaged by what is known as frostbite—this is similar to a burn caused by heat. It is important to seek immediate shelter and go inside if you experience pain, numbness, tingling, swelling or colour change in your fingers, toes or exposed skin. Frostbite can happen in as little as 10 minutes, so keep these tips in mind:

  • Dress in warm layers. For example, wear a long-sleeve sweater under a coat, a thin layer of pants underneath your jeans or ski-pants on top of your pants. 
  • Wear a warm coat with down (feather) or synthetic filling that retains heat. Your jacket should be wind- and water-resistant. 
  • Cover up bare skin, especially on your fingers, toes, neck and face. Use a hat (toque), scarf or neck-warmer and, glove or mitts. 
  • Stay dry. If you over dress, you might start sweating, which can make you feel colder. 
  • Seek shelter from the wind when standing at the bus stop or going outside for breaks. 
  • Wear insulated, waterproof boots.

For more information about winter safety, visit the Government of Canada website

Where to Buy Winter Clothes

Looking for warm winter clothes? The list below is just a small sample of where you can find winter clothes in Winnipeg.

The following list and links are provided for informational purposes only. The University of Manitoba does not endorse, promote or have any affiliation with any of the vendors listed.

Price Range (where $ = not expensive and $$$ = expensive)

Stores near the UM Fort Garry campus that sell winter clothing

Store Name Address Contact Price Range
The Bay St. Vital Mall
1225 St. Mary’s Road
Old Navy St. Vital Mall parking lot 1225 St. Mary’s Road www.oldnavy.ca 
Value Village 
(second hand store)
1729 Pembina Highway www.valuevillage.com 
Giant Tiger 2195 Pembina Highway www.gianttiger.com
Mark’s Work 
785 Dakota Street www.marks.com 
Real Canadian Superstore 80 Bison Drive www.superstore.ca 
Winners 2127 Pembina Highway www.winners.ca 

Other winter clothing stores in Winnipeg to consider

Store Name Address Contact Price Range
Cabela’s 580 Sterling Lyon Parkway www.cabelas.ca 
Champs Sports Polo Park Shopping Centre 1485 Portage Avenue www.champssports.com
Marshall’s 600 Empress Street
(next to Polo Park Shopping Centre) 
1731 Kenaston Boulevard
Mountain Equipment Co-op

303 Portage Avenue
(close to Bannatyne Campus)


Note: The Kenaston outlet mall and Kenaston commons have a variety of stores that sell winter clothing, men’s and women’s clothing, footwear and home décor items at discounted prices. 


There are several affordable stores that sell household items (such as towels, linens, cookware, furniture, clothing, etc.) in Winnipeg. Popular stores and shopping centres include Ikea, Walmart, Giant Tiger, JYSK, Marshalls, Winners, Superstore, Dollarama, St. Vital Centre and CF Polo Park Shopping Centre.

Shopping on campus

You can get many of your basic needs without leaving campus! 

In addition to prescription and non-prescription medications, the University Centre Pharmacy sells many toiletries and other dorm essentials. It also contains a postal outlet, which makes sending and receiving packages easy.

The UM Bookstores sell all the textbooks you’ll need for classes, as well as computers and accessories, UM clothing, office supplies and much more. 

The U of M Re-Shop offers used office equipment and furniture to students free of charge. Search their current inventory.

Thrift stores

It may take a little extra time to find exactly what you’re looking for, but buying used goods at a thrift store (also known as a secondhand store) can be very affordable. Popular options include Value Village, Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores.

Yard sales and garage sales

On most weekends in spring to early fall, you’ll see signs on the roads in residential neighbourhoods advertising yard sales and garage sales. These sales are a great way to find used household items and clothing in good condition at affordable prices. Bedbugs can be a problem, so avoid buying used items with cloth material such as mattresses or pillows. If you purchase clothing, be sure to wash in hot water right away and dry in high heat.


There are many ways to get around once you arrive in Winnipeg: public transit, ride-hailing services, taxis, biking, walking and driving are a few popular options.

Landing at the airport

The University of Manitoba does not provide pick-up services from the airport. Taxi service from the airport is provided by Unicity Taxi, which is available near Exit 3 at the terminal building. For more information about transportation at the Airport, visit the airport website.

Winnipeg Transit

Winnipeg Transit is the bus system in Winnipeg. To learn how to take the bus in Winnipeg, visit Transit Travel Tips.
To watch a video on how to take a Winnipeg transit bus, watch here: 

Taxis and other ride-hailing services

There are a number of taxi companies in Winnipeg that need to be requested in advance, either by phone or through an app. You can request an estimate before you use a taxi, but the cost of the ride is determined by a meter that runs in the vehicle throughout your drive. 

TappCar and Uber are ride-hailing companies that let you book a vehicle to pick you up. Their app allows you to get an estimate cost of your trip, request in advance and pay through the app so there is no payment required to your driver.

The above information is provided for information purposes only, and does not imply endorsement or support to any of the linked information, services or providers.

Driving in Manitoba

There are many factors to consider if you plan to drive in Manitoba, such as ensuring the correct authorization, testing, getting insurance and ensuring you can drive for Manitoba’s winter driving conditions. If you are considering driving in Winnipeg, please meet with one of our international student advisors. 

Plan your route on our Getting Here page has for more information on public transportation, biking, parking, carpooling and getting around campus.

Cycling in Winnipeg

Cycling is a great way to get around the city when the weather is mild! It's economical, a great way to exercise, and environmentally friendly! However, it's important to know that cyclists still need to follow all the rules of the road that vehicles do, including stopping at intersections, traffic lights and riding in safe areas to travel, whether that be the road or a bike lane. Check out this brochure below to learn about UMCycle and about cycling safety.

Photo of person holding bicycle brochure


International student advisors

Contact us

International Centre
541 UMSU University Centre
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada