The University of Manitoba emergency loan program provides short-term assistance to students who experience unexpected and immediate financial expenses or constraints. This includes, but is not limited to, unanticipated personal living costs, and unexpected delays in government loans, and other award funding.
Emergency loan funds are not intended to act as a regular supplement or substitute for traditional forms of student financial aid, i.e. government loans, scholarships, and bursaries. Therefore, all students applying for emergency funding are expected to have a reasonable financial plan in place to cover normal school expenses, including tuition and living expenses, at the beginning of each academic session.
In order to be considered for an Emergency Loan a student must:
- Be enrolled as a full-time student in the current academic session to which you are applying for.
- Have repaid all outstanding emergency aid from previous academic sessions;
- Have obtained a passing grade of "D" or better on all courses taken in the previous academic session;
- Provide documentation including that they will be receiving sufficient funding to meet tuition and living costs for the academic session (i.e. Government Loan Notice of Assistance, loan documents, sponsorship letter);
- Be able to explain clearly why emergency assistance is required and how the loan will be repaid.
The deadline for repayment will be indicated on your emergency loan agreement.
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS, to apply for an Emergency loan:
The Emergency Loan application is now AVAILABLE.
- Repayment of Emergency Loans issued in the Fall term are due December1st.
- Repayment of Emergency Loans issued in the Winter term are due March 1st.
- Repayment of Emergency Loans issued in the Spring/Summer term are due August 1st.
Completed applications and supporting documentation submission process:
Completed applications and supporting documentation should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
GRADUATE STUDENTS, to apply for an Emergency loan:
Graduate students, please refer to: https://umanitoba.ca/faculties/graduate_studies/media/Emergency-Loan-2020.pdf
UM Emergency Bursary Fund
The University of Manitoba has created the UM Emergency Bursary Fund. It provides financial support to students (undergraduate and graduate) in financial distress because of war, international conflicts, environmental catastrophes and extraordinary life events; and have exhausted all other resources and options available to them.
We recognize that war and geopolitical events can impact our international students. Our domestic students can similarly experience emergencies that negatively impact their finances and create unexpected need.
Student eligibility Criteria:
- must be enrolled full-time (minimum 18 credit hours) in the regular fall/winter academic year, or in at least 9 credit hours in a summer term.
- must have achieved a minimum DGPA of 2.0.
- must not be on hold for overdue financial fees owing to the university (overdue tuition, emergency loan debts, parking fines, library fines, etc).
Students in financial distress should complete the online application form for the UM Emergency Bursary Fund.
Reviews may take up to 5-7 business days, longer during peak periods. Please do not submit multiple application forms, as this will present issues and delays with the review process. Also, please do not send multiple email inquiries. Only successful candidates will be notified.
Award values are not pre-set and will be determined based on a financial need assessment.
Students may only apply once during the fall/winter regular academic school year.