Financial Aid and Awards
422 University Centre
65 Chancellor’s circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2
The Work-Study program offers part-time, on-campus employment for students with financial need during the school year. Apply to the program to gain valuable work experience and skills related to your field right on campus.
Apply for student loans as early as this date to avoid delays
Work-study program re-opens for applications
Aug. 15, 2020 -
Sep. 14, 2020Sign up for and attend a Work-Study orientation session (mandatory for new Work-Study students)
Deadline to apply for Work-Study program (noon)
Deadline to submit application packages for Work-Study jobs
Work-Study will release all applications to employers
End date for all work-study positions
To be eligible for the work-study program, you must meet the following criteria:
Have proof of a 2020-2021 government student aid package of at least $2,000; or, proof of 2020-2021 Indigenous band sponsorship, Metis Nation post-secondary funding, or disability funding. (Note that past government aid does not count; personal bank loans such as lines of credit and/or educational loans and registered educational saving plans are not considered with this program.)
- Be registered at the University of Manitoba as a full-time undergraduate or graduate student in both terms (Fall 2020 and Winter 2021). Students must have a minimum 60% course load (i.e. 9 credit hours per term for undergraduate students);
- Have achieved a satisfactory academic standing with a minimum 2.0 institutional grade point average in their previous academic session (not applicable for new U of M students)
- Be residing in Manitoba throughout the Work-Study employment term
International students are not eligible unless they have proof of a government student loan or aid package for the 2020-2021 school year from their home country. Private/educational bank loans are not considered; no exceptions will be made. Proof of government funding must be attached to the student application or will be considered ineligible.
How to apply
Step 1: Complete the Work-Study intake process
All students need to re-apply for the Work-Study program every year due to financial aid requirements.
- Students must apply to the Work-Study program prior to submitting their applications to specific postings.
- Deadline to apply for the program is on September 11, 2020 at noon.
- Deadline to submit application packages for jobs is on September 16, 2020 at noon.
To apply for Work-Study:
- Register or log-in to your existing careerCONNECT account.
- On the navigation pane on the left hand side, navigate towards Work-Study then Work-Study Program Application.
- Complete and submit the form for a pre-approved Work-Study access. After submitting the form, you will need to click on the "Accept" button on the right hand side under "Action required by you" to view and apply to job postings.
You must attach documents demonstrating your eligibility to the application. This could include a copy of your 2020-2021 financial aid assistance, Indigenous band sponsorship, or disability funding.
Step 2: Attend a group orientation session
All work-study applicants who have not been previously hired through the work-study program are required to attend one group orientation session. Previously hired Work-Study students are welcome to join the sessions. Sessions will be held via Zoom - if you need any accommodations or are unable to access these workshops, please contact us at email@example.com
This year, we are hosting two online resumé blitz sessions to help you create strong applications! Hiring employers and the Career Services' team will be on hand to provide you with tips on how to improve your cover letter and resume. Register for one of the two available dates and take advantage of this opportunity to improve your application.
To register for a session:
- Log in to your careerCONNECT account.
- On the navigation pane on the left hand side, navigate towards Work-Study then Events to view group information sessions, and other Work-Study events.
- Select event you wish to register for to view details.
- Select "Register" on the right hand side of the page.
Step 3: Apply for Work-Study positions
Once you have pre-approved access to the Work-Study module, you will be able to view and apply for 2020-2021 work-study positions.
To apply for a work-study position:
- Log in to your careerCONNECT account.
- On the navigation pane on the left hand side, navigate towards Work-Study then Job Postings to view current Work-Study postings.
- To apply for a position, click on the Apply button on the right hand side within each posting.
- Upload tailored résumes and cover letters to support your application(s).
The Documents tab within careerCONNECT lets you upload your documents prior to applying for Work-Study positions. This also stores all your uploaded documents in one place for easy access and safekeeping.
All applications will not be sent/released to employers until after the application deadline (September 16), and after we are able to successfully validate students' eligibility. Take the time to properly edit and tailor your applications to the requirements outlined in the job postings.
Applicants who fail to provide us with proper documentation and proof of financial aid assistance (as outlined in the eligibility requirements) will result to an invalid status. Job applications will not be released to employers.
The Work-Study Program, coinciding with the University of Manitoba, is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.