On January 22, 2024 Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) introduced a new requirement for the Study Permit application process. Students who are applying to study in a master’s degree or doctoral degree program are not affected by this new requirement. IRCC will now request an additional document called the Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) issued by the provincial government. A list of students who don’t need a PAL can be found here.

As of March 4, 2024, the PAL process for Manitoba is now in place. For students admitted to undergraduate programs, UM will require a non-refundable $2000 CAD tuition deposit, paid by credit card, for students requiring a Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) for study permit applications. This deposit will need to be paid within 10 business days once a decision has been made on your application. For Extended Education students, you will be contacted by Extended Education, regarding a PAL for your study permit application.

If you are an undergraduate student and you have any questions related to the process of obtaining a PAL or paying the tuition deposit, please send an email to the Undergraduate Admissions office: UMPALinfo@umanitoba.ca.

If you are an Extended Education student and you have questions related to obtaining a PAL, please email extended@umanitoba.ca.

If you are applying for a study permit extension or TRV, you are likely exempt from providing a PAL, please check out this page for detailed instructions on applying for study permit extensions.

Plan on travelling outside Canada and then re-entering? See important information below under the While you are in Canada section.

As an international student in Canada, it is your responsibility to know and understand the terms and conditions of your stay here. You are responsible for maintaining your immigration status and complying with immigration regulations while you're here.

In order to travel to and legally stay in Canada, it is essential that you familiarize yourself with immigration laws, regulations and requirements, and stay updated on any changes. Laws on immigration are always subject to change. Please refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website to ensure you have current information.

Are you coming to the University of Manitoba to do research but not take courses? If so, this immigration information may not apply to you. Please email the International Centre at international@umanitoba.ca for more details.

Before you come to Canada

Don’t wait until it’s too late! Immigration processes take time. Familiarize yourself with application processing times for different permits and start early.

Before you apply for a study permit

Passports and travel documents

To apply for a study permit, you will need to show proof of your identity. For most applicants, this will take the form of a valid passport from your country of citizenship or travel documents that guarantee that you can re-enter your country. Find out what you need to come to Canada.

Your passport or travel document must remain valid while you are in Canada. Typically, your study permit and temporary resident visa (if required) cannot be valid beyond the date that your passport or travel document expires.

It is your responsibility to ensure your passport or travel document does not expire while you are in Canada—you should apply for renewal at least six months before it expires. The consulate or embassy for your country can provide you with renewal information if you are in Canada.


Biometrics, which include fingerprinting and digital photographs, are a new entry requirement to Canada as of Dec. 31, 2018. For new international students intending to arrive in 2019, biometrics will need to be submitted in person at a designated location in their country of residence. Students cannot obtain their biometrics until they have applied for a study permit and received formal notice from the Government of Canada to do so.

Learn more about biometrics

Visa application centres (VACs) are managed by private companies and are approved to provide biometric services. Appointments must be scheduled in advance. Book your appointment for biometrics early, or your application for the study permit may be delayed!

Find a visa application centre


Applying for a study permit

What is a study permit?

A study permit is a document issued by the Government of Canada that allows a foreign national to study in Canada. Most international students in long-term programs will need a study permit issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before coming to Canada.

Study permits will only be issued to applicants studying at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI). The University of Manitoba is a designated learning institution: The University of Manitoba’s Designated Learning Institute (DLI) Number is O19091528512.

Note: The first character in the DLI number is the letter' O', not the digit/number zero '0'.

In some cases, a study permit is not required, typically if your entire program of study is six months or less in duration and you can complete the entire course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada.

Learn whether you need a study permit

How do I apply?

Apply early! It can take several months to obtain your initial study permit after you complete your biometrics. Begin the process as soon as you receive your letter of acceptance / letter of offer from the University of Manitoba.

You may be able to apply for your study permit electronically or you may have to submit a paper application. To obtain a study permit application kit and application instructions, including a full list of documents you will need, click here or contact the Canadian visa office responsible for your country of citizenship, your country of residence, or the country where you have been legally admitted and are physically present. 

Generally, in addition to the required application forms, you will also need documents such as:

  • your University of Manitoba letter of acceptance / certificate of acceptance
  • proof of identity—a valid passport or travel document
  • two recent passport-sized photos (if applying online, digital photos)
  • proof of financial support—evidence of adequate funds to live and study in Canada (approximately $20,635 CAD plus tuition fees for one year for one person)
  • any additional documents required by the visa office that is processing your application

A personal interview with a visa officer, a medical examination and security checks may be required. The Canadian visa office will provide you with a list of approved medical examiners if a medical exam is required.

Learn more about medical examinations

If you are asked by IRCC to pay your tuition in advance, connect with the Student Accounting office for payment instructions. Include your full name and University of Manitoba student number in all correspondence with the university.

If your study permit application is approved, a letter of introduction will be sent to you confirming the approval. The letter of introduction is not your study permit. You will need to bring the letter with you to show to immigration officials when you first arrive in Canada, in order to obtain your study permit.

Travel authorization documents

Do you need travel authorization documents?

Your study permit is not a visa. It doesn’t allow you enter Canada. You may also require a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). If Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) approves your study permit application they will issue one to you. Find out if you need travel authorization documents

Travel or status documents issued by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada cannot be valid beyond the expiry date of your passport. If your passport is due to expire, it is advised to renew your passport before you apply for any travel documents or study permits. It is very important that you travel with the same passport number you used when you applied for your travel documents or study permit, as these are checked when you enter Canada. If they do not match, the officer will not be able to issue you with a study permit and you may even be asked to leave Canada and return to your home country.

Temporary resident visas and Electronic Travel Authorization

The temporary resident visa (TRV) is a travel document that allows you to enter Canada, or re-enter if you travel during your studies. This is commonly known as a “visitor visa” and it does not grant you any legal status in Canada. If you are a citizen of a country that needs a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), IRCC will seal it into your passport. There is an expiry date on this visa ― you must enter Canada before this expiry date. The visa will also indicate if you can enter Canada only once (a single-entry visa) or if you can enter Canada multiple times (a multiple-entry visa).

An Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is an entry requirement for foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries. If one is issued for you, it will be indicated in the letter of introduction you receive. The eTA will be linked to your passport, and is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

You do not need these documents to stay in Canada—to do that, you need a valid study permit―but if you have a TRV, it is a good idea to keep it valid while you are here so you can leave and re-enter Canada if needed. To learn how to extend your TRV from within Canada, see the "While you are in Canada" section below.

Additional considerations before you arrive

The following information provides a list of helpful reminders of things to do and pack before you depart for Winnipeg. It is not an exhaustive list, and it is your responsibility to know and understand the guidelines, policies and laws relating to your travel and arrival in Canada.

Before you leave

As an international student at the University of Manitoba, you will be a part of our mandatory health coverage plan with our local provider, Blue Cross and Student Care.

  • Please note that newly enrolled international students are covered on an emergency basis for up to one (1) calendar month prior to the start of their first academic term. During this period, medical treatment and testing for COVID-19 will only be covered if symptoms began after departure from your home country.
  • We strongly encourage you to purchase travel insurance from your home country that provides coverage until the start of classes. We also recommend that you confirm with the insurance provider that your coverage includes any medical costs related to COVID-19. Not all insurance providers cover these costs.  
  • It is important to know that your student health coverage will not be effective elsewhere in Canada, and cannot be used until you first arrive in Manitoba.  
  • Review the Manitoba International Student Health Plan (MISHP) coverage and effective dates. 
  • Make a photocopy of or scan your airline tickets and important documents in case the originals are lost or stolen. Keep the photocopies in a safe place, but not in the same place that you keep the originals (for example, save photos in your email account).
  • Keep emergency phone numbers with you at all times. The following phone numbers are recommended: 
    • your country's embassy, consulate or high commission located in each country through which you travel 
    • Security Services at the UM (204-474-9341, collect) 
  • Confirm the baggage restrictions for each airline you will use.
  • Confirm the time that you should arrive at the airport and ensure to arrive in plenty of time to check in. Many international flights require passengers to arrive two to three hours before the scheduled departure time. 
  • Pack your own baggage and never leave your bags unattended. 
  • Label all luggage clearly. Try to use luggage tags with flaps to hide your name and deter theft. 
  • Keep a small amount of local currency so you can pay departure taxes and purchase snacks during stop-overs. Contact the airline(s) or your travel agency in advance to find out how much the airport tax will be and how you can pay it at each airport you will use. 
  • Carry a credit card or small amount of Canadian dollars so you can pay for a taxi, if necessary, upon your arrival in Winnipeg. 

Make sure you have all of your important documents in your carry-on bag (NOT your checked luggage, in case it gets lost or you require them after you have checked your luggage). Examples include:

If you will arrive in Canada between October and April, bring an appropriate jacket to wear upon arrival. 

Arriving at the port of entry

Your “port of entry” is the first airport you land in, or first land border you cross, when you arrive in Canada. For example, if your flight lands in Toronto before continuing to Winnipeg, Toronto will be your port of entry.

An officer from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) will meet you at your port of entry. The officer will issue your study permit after reviewing your documents. It is important that you show the correct documents to the CBSA.

Read more about the port of entry and documents you need to print and bring with you

When you receive your study permit, read it carefully and ask the officer to explain anything you do not understand. Although you will be tired from your trip to Canada, it is important to take the time to ensure you understand all of the information listed on your study permit. It is your responsibility to understand and comply with immigration regulations while you are in Canada.

You may have other questions about arriving in Canada that are not related to immigration. The International Centre has resources for you.

While you are in Canada

If you would like guidance, book an appointment with an international student advisor by calling 204-474-8501 or dropping by 541 UMSU University Centre.

To understand how the U of M defines Full-Time status for the purposes of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), please review the information in the following document.

Full time status document for IRCC purposes

Understanding Study Permit Conditions

Your study permit allows you to study in Canada as a temporary resident. It’s your responsibility to understand the remarks and conditions on your study permit. If you break any of the conditions:

  • You can lose your student status and study permit.
  • Your future IRCC applications can be rejected (e.g. post-graduation work permit).
  • You may also face enforcement actions such as removal from Canada.

In order to stay in compliance with your study permit conditions, you must:

  • be (and remain) enrolled at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI), like UM.
  • show you’re actively pursuing your studies, by:
    • being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic term (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)
      • At a minimum, students must have part-time status to be considered to be actively pursuing their studies. However, part-time status may impact working on/off campus eligibility and PGWP application. Please review impact of part-time status for details.
    • making reasonable progress continuously towards completing your study program
      • If you are constantly failing or withdrawing from courses, IRCC may request additional information to ensure your intention in Canada is to study.
    • not taking authorized leaves longer than 150 days (as per IRCC) from your study program
      • The UM does not have an institutional leave of absence policy for undergraduate students. Please review taking time away from studies for detail information.
      • If a student does not resume studies within 150 days, they should change their status to visitor or worker, if not, they should leave Canada.
  • respect any conditions listed on your study permit
  • inform IRCC any time you change post-secondary schools
  • stop studying if you no longer meet the requirements, and
  • leave Canada before the expiry date on the study permit or extend your study permit before your permit expires.
    • Your study permit will expire on whichever date comes first: the date marked on the permit or 90 days after the day you complete your studies.

The “conditions” listed on your study permit indicate any restrictions that have been placed on your study in Canada, including:

  • the educational level or institutions at which you are permitted to study
  • if you are allowed to work on or off campus in Canada
  • if you need to report for a medical procedure
  • if your travel within Canada is restricted
  • the date when you must stop studying

Post-graduation work permit (PGWP) eligibility requirements are different from the study permit conditions.

All Designated Learning Institutions (DLIs) at the post-secondary level, including UM, must submit compliance reports on the academic enrollment status of international students to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) twice a year. Information collected through these reports allows IRCC to assess if study permit holders are in compliance with the study permit conditions.

Extending a study permit

If your study permit is not valid for your entire stay in Canada, you will need to extend it. You must apply for the extension a minimum of 30 days before the expiry of your current study permit, shown by the “valid until” date. We recommend applying approximately 90 days prior to expiry. This timeframe does not include the time required to meet the biometric regulations prior to applying. Study permit processing times vary throughout the year – you can check current processing times

Study Permit Extension resource page

The International Centre offers regular information sessions on study permit extension. If you would like information, book an appointment with an international student advisor by calling 204-474-8501 or dropping by 541 UMSU University Centre.

Taking Time Away from Studies

Important Things for International Students to Consider Before Taking Time Away from Their Studies:

Although some University of Manitoba (UM) programs may have existing leave of absence policies in place, as international students in Canada it’s important for you to consider other potential impacts of taking a leave from your studies.
Prior to making a decision to take a leave of absence from your program, it is highly recommended to schedule an appointment with an International Student Advisor to be directed to information on the following:

1) IRCC’s rules for international students, including:
•    Your study permit conditions,
•    eligibility to work during studies, and
•    eligibility for a post-graduation work permit after you complete your program.

2) MISHP Health Coverage: MISHP health coverage is linked to your enrolment in courses at UM. If you are taking time away from your studies, it can affect your health coverage through the MISHP plan.

If a current UM student is taking a fall or winter term off from their studies for medical reasons, they may be able to extend their MISHP coverage for that academic term.  To be eligible, the student must be under appropriate treatment and care of a medical physician who is a registered medical specialist or health care practitioner in the field of medicine which is applicable to the student’s condition.  The request and supportive medical information must be submitted to Studentcare. The deadline to submit a request to extend MISHP coverage is prior to the end of the academic term the student was unable to complete.  Please contact the Studentcare coordinator to find out more about eligibility to extend coverage.  
If you are going on maternity/paternity leave, you can extend your coverage for up to 12 months during your leave from studies.  For details on maternity/paternity leave coverage, contact the Studentcare coordinator.
If a student cannot opt-in to MISHP, we recommend that students explore private health coverage options through an insurance broker like Mediquote for the time they will not be covered by MISHP. They may only be eligible for emergency coverage and have to pay out of pocket for any regular visits to a doctor, but please explore the specifics with the broker/insurance company.

3) Access to on-campus resources: Access to other resources and services provided on campus may be impacted, such as services provided by the Student Counselling Centre; if you are living on campus your stay in Student Residence; access to a UPass; coverage through UMSU Health & Dental; access to the Active Living Centre; and access to health services provided by University Health Services. We encourage you to check with these services to see how a leave would impact your eligibility.

5) Impact on funding, awards, and financial assistance: Taking time away from your studies could impact eligibility for bursaries, awards, scholarships, and access to the UM Food Bank for the period that you are not enrolled. Graduate students are encouraged to discuss with their department if any funding may be impacted during time away from studies.

6) Changing registration in a previous term: If you are considering retroactively changing your registration in a previous term (for example, seeking Authorized Withdrawals, etc.), it is important to discuss your situation with an International Student Advisor and an Academic Advisor.

Document Outlining UM’s Current Leave Policies for International Students

Changing a study permit / changing your school or program of studies

If you wish to change any of the terms and conditions on your study permit, you must submit a completed Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada as a Student.

If you are a post-secondary student with a valid study permit, you do not need to change your study permit if you want to change your program of study but stay at the same institution. You may change your program, field of study or level of study (e.g. from the bachelor level to the master’s level) without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.

If you change your institution (for example, transferring from the International College of Manitoba to the University of Manitoba), you do not need to change your study permit. However, in this situation, you need to:

  • Notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) through your MyCIC account every time you change institutions. Get step-by-step instructions on how to notify CIC that you have changed your institution using your MyCIC account.
  • Make sure you meet the conditions of your study permit on an ongoing basis. This includes the requirements to be enrolled at a designated learning institution and to be actively pursuing your studies while you are in Canada.
  • Some students are not required to notify IRCC of a change in institution. These are students who:
    • applied for a study permit prior to June 1, 2014
    • were issued a study permit to attend an institution at the primary or secondary level
    • obtained a study permit as the family member of a study or work permit-holder (i.e., you were not required to submit a letter of acceptance when applying for a study permit)

Transition between levels of study (e.g., high school to university)

Students transitioning between levels of study (primary, secondary and post-secondary) are no longer required to apply for a new study permit, provided their current study permit is still valid.

Applying for a temporary resident visa after coming to Canada

Temporary resident visas (TRVs) are travel documents for single entry or multiple entries to Canada. You will need to check this when the TRV has been inserted in your passport.

Multiple-entry TRVs allow you the flexibility to travel outside of Canada and return without renewing your visa each time. TRVs have an expiry date that may or may not match the expiry date on your study permit. As it is only for travel purposes, you can stay in Canada after your TRV has expired but you will have to renew it if you want to return to Canada at a future date.

If you are a temporary resident in Canada with a valid study permit, you can apply for a new TRV to return to Canada before you leave. This is useful if you would like to leave Canada (to visit home or another country) and need to return to complete your studies.

You can apply in Canada if:

  • you are legally admitted as a student in Canada with a Canadian residential address
  • your current temporary resident status is still valid, and your existing visa counterfoil (sticker) expired or was valid for only one entry
  • you need a new TRV to return to Canada in the near future

When you are creating your document checklist on your IRCC Secure Account home page, look for “Apply to Come to Canada” and choose the option for “visit, study, work”. Answer the questionnaire to receive a reference code and the document checklist.
The Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) is not required for the temporary resident visa applications. Follow the instructions below while answering the questionnaire:

  • Do you have a provincial attestation letter? Choose: No.
  • Do you qualify for an exception? Choose: Yes.
  • What exception do you qualify for? Choose: I am an applicant applying within Canada as described under section 215(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).

If you are in Canada and need to extend your study permit and renew your TRV, submit a separate application for the new TRV to the Case Processing Centre in Ottawa only after IRCC has approved the extension of your study permit.

The International Centre offers regular information sessions on the TRV. If you would like information, book an appointment with an international student advisor by calling 204-474-8501 or dropping by 541 UMSU University Centre.

For students who do not require a TRV but require an Electronic Travel Authorization, when you apply for your study permit extension, the Electronic Travel Authorization will be automatically extended.

Working while studying

What you need to know

Many international students are interested in working while they study in Canada, to gain job experience and make connections with employers. To ensure that you stay legal, there are some guidelines you need to follow.

If you have questions, please book an appointment with an international student advisor by calling 204-474-8501 or dropping by 541 UMSU University Centre.

Am I working?

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) defines work as “an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market.”


Many activities that do not provide a wage, including some types of volunteer work, meet the IRCC’s definition of work. For this reason, volunteering can require a work permit. If you have a specific volunteer activity in mind, it’s best to phone the IRCC call centre to determine if the activity requires a work permit.

Learn more about volunteering in Canada

Co-op work permit

Experiential education is a great way to apply what you are learning in the real world. For some academic programs, work experience is part of the curriculum. However, international students need a co-op work permit to participate in a co-op, field placement, internship, practicum or clinical placement, whether you are paid or unpaid.

To be eligible for a co-op work permit, international students must first apply to participate in an UM co-op program and be accepted.

If you need to apply for a co-op work permit, we urge you to apply as soon as possible―processing times can be long, and a delay may impact your ability to participate. If your study permit is expiring soon, then according to the Instruction Guide for the study permit extension application process, you are able to apply for more than one service (for example, a Co-Op work permit) using the study permit extension application form.

To be eligible for a co-op work permit, you must meet the following requirements:

  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
  • Your employment must be part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by a designated learning institution, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50 per cent of the total program of study.

You will not be eligible to receive a co-op work permit during your studies if:

  • you study English or French as a second language (ESL/FSL)
  • you participate in general interest or preparatory courses

Getting a Social Insurance Number

Before you start working in Canada, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). A SIN is a nine-digit number that you need to work in Canada, to file taxes or to have access to government programs and benefits.

The International Centre hosts sessions where you can apply for your SIN, so check our events page for dates. You can also apply for a SIN in person at a Service Canada office. Bring one of the following documents to apply:

  • a study permit that states you “may accept employment” or “may work” in Canada
  • a study permit and a “confirmation to work off campus” letter issued by IRCC prior to Feb. 6, 2015
  • a work permit (e.g. co-op, post-graduation or spouse/partner work permit)

If you are an international student, be sure you understand the eligibility requirements to work in Canada by reading the sections below. 

Working while enrolled as an international student (on or off campus)

All international students must meet all of the following conditions to work while they are studying. They must:

  • have a valid study permit that includes a paragraph stating they are authorized to work
  • be a full-time student enrolled at a designated learning institution
  • be enrolled in a post-secondary academic, vocational or professional training program
  • be enrolled in a program of study at least six months or more in duration that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate
  • continue to fulfil the terms and conditions of the study permit, as well as the conditions to engage in off-campus work (e.g., work no more than 20 hours a week during a regular academic session)

The University of Manitoba is a designated learning institution.

You must stop working on the day you no longer meet the above eligibility requirements (e.g., if you are no longer a full-time student), unless you have applied for another work or study permit that gives you entitlement to continue working.

There are no restrictions on the number of hours a student can work on campus; however, the university can restrict the number of hours you are able to work. You can only work up to 20 hours per week off campus during scheduled academic sessions but can work full-time during scheduled breaks. Most Masters & Ph.D. students (exception: students in the MBA program) who are participating in studies on a regular basis in an academic term and/or are registered in the academic year are considered to be full-time students. The regular academic session for graduate students is September – August each year (Fall, Winter, and Summer terms). The Summer term is not considered to be a scheduled break for graduate students. The only scheduled breaks for graduate students are the “Term Breaks” listed in the Academic Calendar (the Fall and Winter Term Breaks).

IRCC has announced that the temporary public policies that allowed some international students to work more than 20 hours/week off-campus was not extended past April 30, 2024. However, some international students may be eligible to work full-time hours during the Summer term. International students in undergraduate programs who aren’t required to register in the Summer term and for whom Summer is an optional term may be eligible to work full-time hours in the Summer term, regardless of their course load. To be eligible, a student must have been registered in a full-time UM course load before the Summer term and must be confident that they will register in a full-time UM course load after the Summer term. Any international students for whom Summer is not an optional term (example: Masters and PhD students, undergraduate students in the Faculty of Nursing, etc.) are only eligible to work up to 20 hours/week off-campus during the Summer term, as it’s not a break for those programs. Please refer to our full-time status document to confirm if the Summer term is required or optional for your program of study. Remember – it is always your responsibility to ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria to work on or off-campus and don’t work more hours than you’re allowed to.  

For IRCC purposes, on-campus employment is defined as employment facilities within the boundaries of campus, and the employer can be the institution, a student organization, a private business, or a private contractor providing services to the institution on campus.

There can be serious consequences for working when, and where, you are not permitted to work. Enforcement action taken by the Canada Border Services Agency can include invalidation of your study permit or even removal from Canada, as detailed in the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations. Check out detailed information about how IRCC defines full-time status, scheduled breaks, conditions for work, etc.

If you are unsure if you are able to work on or off campus, please make an appointment to see an international student advisor by calling 204-474-8501 or dropping by 541 UMSU University Centre.

Work permit for spouses or common-law partners

To be eligible for an open work permit, the dependent spouse or common-law partner must be in a genuine relationship with a principal foreign national, in this case an international student. In addition, the international student must:

  • Hold a valid study permit or be provisionally approved for a study permit (if applying as a family group outside of Canada)
  • Be studying on a full-time basis or intending to enroll in full-time courses, at a designated learning institution
  • Be accepted by or enrolled in a post-graduation work permit-eligible study program and institution
  • Be physically residing or plan to physically reside in Canada while studying

Family members of study permit holders studying at non PGWP-eligible institutions or in non PGWP-eligible programs are not eligible for an open work permit under this category.

Note: As announced on January 22, 2024, the eligibility requirements to get an open work permit as the spouse or common-law partner of an international student will soon change. You can learn more about the recently announced changes for international students here.

Spouses and common-law partners can learn more and apply here

Travelling outside Canada and then re-entering

What you need to re-enter Canada as an international student.

Ensure you have the proper documents to travel to and enter Canada.

In addition to the information on IRCC’s website about travelling outside Canada and then re-entering, the following information is also important.

Assessment of compliance with Study Permit conditions on your return to Canada:

A Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer may assess whether you are in compliance with your Study Permit conditions on your return to Canada.

As a Study Permit holder in Canada, you may be asked to provide documents to demonstrate that you meet the following conditions:

  • You are currently enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI) and intend to continue to remain enrolled at a DLI until you complete your studies; and 

  • You have actively pursued your course or program of study at all times while you held a Study Permit.

These documents may include:

  • Enrollment verification (proof of enrolment);
  • Transcripts for all previous academic years you held a Study Permit;
  • Copies of certificates, diplomas and/or degrees for any program of studies you have completed in Canada;
  • Letters of completion for any program of studies you have completed in Canada;
  • Letters of acceptance if you are in a process of switching DLIs.

The above is not an all-exhaustive list.  You may wish to refer to IRCC’s Study permits: Assessing study permit conditions guidelines for additional information

Important:  Study Permit holders that are not able to demonstrate by way of documentation to the CBSA officer on request that they meet the above-noted conditions should refrain from travelling outside of Canada and consult the International Centre and/or a qualified Canadian immigration professional.

Failure to demonstrate compliance with conditions of your existing Study Permit on arrival in Canada may result in an enforcement action being commenced by the CBSA which may include detention, cancellation of the Study Permit and removal from Canada.

If you are a Study Permit holder who is currently on academic suspension and you decided to travel outside of Canada, you may be found not in compliance by the CBSA officer when you are examined on return and ordered to leave Canada.

Note: all policies related to entering Manitoba and Canada, including the requirement to quarantine, can be changed at any time and without notice by the Provincial and Federal governments. It is your responsibility to stay up-to-date on these policies at both the provincial and federal levels.


After you graduate

Winnipeg is a great place to live, and many international students decide they would like to stay and work in Canada after graduation.

To do so, you must apply for a work permit under the post-graduation work permit (PGWP) program. The PGWP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience.

A PGWP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A PGWP cannot be valid for longer than your study program, which must be a minimum of eight months in length.

It is very important to know when your program ends and where to order documents at the University of Manitoba.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has very strict criteria and restrictions for the PGWP. Review the IRCC website for detailed information about the eligibility criteria, restrictions, final academic session, work permit issuance and validity, and more. There are strict conditions from working as a student that apply to the PGWP.

For more information, read the conditions for work

Plan ahead and adhere to immigration rules as a student to increase your chance of getting a PGWP after you graduate.

Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)

More about the post-graduation work permit program

The International Centre offers regular information sessions about the PGWP. Check the International Centre page for upcoming events, or book an appointment with an international advisor by calling 204-474-8501.

If you would like to book an appointment to with one of our International Student Advisors (ISA), please call our front desk at 204-474-8501, and our receptionist would be happy to let you know the current availability of appointments with an ISA. Please call our front desk for drop-in availability. Drop-in appointments are limited, and are offered on a first-come, first-served basis.

The information on this page may change.
The immigration information on this page has been reviewed by Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Readers should always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.