The information on this page may change.

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed by Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Readers should always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.

Last updated March 2024

When to apply

You must apply for a new study permit before the expiry date of your current permit. However, we recommend applying approximately 90 days prior to expiry.

If you are planning to apply for extension earlier than the 90 days recommended timeframe due to some special circumstances, you should include a letter of explanation with your application.

We also recommend that you consider the current estimated application processing times outlined on the IRCC website. You should also be mindful of the documentation availabilities (such as upcoming term enrollment verification) when determining whether you should submit an early application. Please note that the ultimate decision of your application lies solely with IRCC.

If your study permit has already expired

You must stop studying and working immediately as you have lost your status.

You may apply to restore your status as a student within 90 calendar days of losing your status. The restoration application can be complex, and approval is not guaranteed. You should meet an International Student Advisor (ISA) immediately to discuss your situation.  

If your study permit expires while you're waiting for a decision of extension application

As long as you apply before your permit expires, you will be considered to be on “maintained status” (previously called “implied status”), even if you do not receive your new permit before the expiry date. You have the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions as before, pending a determination of your application for renewal – as long as you remain in Canada.

Travelling outside Canada while on "maintained status"

We do not recommend you travel while you have an application being processed. You may want to consider rearranging your travel plans.

You need to ensure you have the right documents to re-enter Canada if you leave.

If you leave Canada while on "maintained status", when you return to Canada:

  • If your study permit extension has been approved, you may enter as a student. You should ask a trusted friend to collect the new study permit for you in the mail and send you a digital copy, then mail the physical document to you. However, be cautious about shipping immigration documents internationally as packages may be lost during shipping. 
  • If your study permit extension is still in process, you cannot resume studies or work until you have received your new study permit. You may also be questioned by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) officer and may be asked to provide financial support and proof of extension application submitted. 

Where to apply

You must apply for study permit extension from inside Canada, meaning you are physically inside Canada. 

If you are outside of Canada, it would be similar to submitting your first study permit application, and you will need to wait for its approval before planning your return.

You may enter Canada before your current study permit expires to apply for an extension within Canada, as long as you have a valid eTA or TRV (if applicable) to return to Canada.

How to apply

You must apply online to extend your study permit, unless you’re eligible for an exemption that allows you to apply on paper.

Cost: $150. Additional $85.00 CAD for biometrics, if applicable.

Step 1: Create or login to IRCC Secure Account

Create or login to IRCC Secure Account through GCKey (recommended) or sign-in partner.

TIP: Do not apply through the "IRCC Portal".
If you forgot your GCKey password and/or username, follow steps to recover your username first then password. Or sign up for new GCkey and new IRCC secure account. You may link your applications to your new account.

Step 2: Create your document checklist

On your IRCC Secure Account home page, look for “Apply to Come to Canada” and choose the option for “visit, study, work”. Answer the questionnaire to receive a reference code and the document checklist.

The Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) is not required for study permit extension applications. Follow the instructions below while answering the questionnaire:

  • Do you have a provincial attestation letter? Choose: No.
  • Do you qualify for an exception? Choose: Yes.
  • What exception do you qualify for? Choose: I am an applicant applying within Canada as described under section 215(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR).

Step 3: Complete the application form

Complete application form Application to Change Conditions, Extend my stay or Remain in Canada as a Student [IMM5709]. Ensure to review Guide 5552 carefully, then consider the following to help you understand questions on the form:

  • UCI: can be found on your study permit & TRV.
    • Question 7: “From” date should be the date you received the first study permit, “To” date should be the date of your current study permit expiration date. 
    • Question 1: Place: should be the airport that you first landed in Canada.
    • Question 4: Study Permit document number: Black bolded number starting with one letter at top right of your study permit.
    • Question 3: added another 90 days to your program estimated completion date.
    • Question 4: provide cost of studies for one year. 
    • Question 5: the amount should be equal to or more than the total cost in Question 4. This amount should also match the proof of funds provided with your application.
    • Question 6: only choose “yes” if you are applying for a Co-op Work Permit and have a co-op letter from your faculty. 
  • EDUCATION: only if you have completed any post-secondary education with credential awarded.
    • Question 1: current activity/occupation is “Student”.
    • If you need more space for previous activity/occupation, include details in a letter of explanation and submit it with your application, under “Client Information”. 
    • Be truthful and provide honest answers. 
    • Question 2: a) If you have studied or worked without a valid study permit or work permit, you need to list details and explanation. b) If you were ever refused any visa, or admission to Canada or any other country, you need to report it with briefly explanation. c) Choose “yes”, provide brief information or your previous IRCC applications such as study permit (extension) application(s).
  • SIGNATURE: instruction can be found here.

Step 4: Gather supporting documents

  • Enrollment Verification: provide enrollment verification for current and future term (if available). 
    • Extended Education Intensive Package students should contact your program coordinator for documents availabilities. 
    • ELC students should contact ELC office for availabilities. 
  • Letter of Acceptance: if you are newly admitted to UM.
  • Official Transcript: If you attended ICM, include ICM transcript and UM transcript.
  • Program Progression Letter:
    • For graduate students, please contact your program supervisor or department head for details. 
    • For undergraduate students, please meet with an ISA to discuss how to get this document from your faculty. 
  • Letter of Explanation (if needed): This is an optional document which can be uploaded in the ‘Client Information’ section of the document checklist. This document would be written by the applicant and would provide additional information or details that they would want to be considered by the IRCC officer reviewing their application.
  • Proof of Financial Support: review Guide 5552 for details.
    • e.g. bank statements, proof of tuition fee paid, proof of fundings from UM (graduate students), letter from parent(s), proof of their financial resources and relationship certificate.
    • You should be prepared to show funds to support yourself for at least one full year tuition fees plus one year living expenses. Minimum funds needed to support yourself for study permit extension can be found on IRCC updated financial requirement.
    • We recommend that you provide as much proof of financial support as possible.
  • Passport: Merge all the pages with photos, signature, stamps, visas into one PDF document.
  • Digital Photo: Click “?” besides to find photo specifications.
  • Medical Exam (if needed)
  • Biometrics (if needed): Biometrics for visas, study permits and work permits are valid for 10 years. You can find out if your biometrics are still valid here. Follow steps below if you must give biometrics:
    1. Pay the additional $85 fee with your application
    2. Get an instruction letter from IRCC
    3. Book an appointment 
    4. Give your biometrics

Applying for or extending co-op work permit when extending study permit

If you are accepted to a UM-approved co-op program, you are eligible to apply for a co-op work permit while extending your study permit. Select “Yes, I wish to apply for a CoOP Work Permit” in the questionnaire. Answer “Yes” for Question 6 of “Details of intended study in Canada” on IMM5709. You will need to include the Co-op Letter that issued by your faculty with your application. 

Applying to extend family's (dependent minor child, spouse) permits when extending study permit

It may be possible! You should be prepared to provide additional documentation such as additional funds for your family members’ applications. 

Step 5 & 6: Pay the application fee & submit application

Ensure to save the payment receipt and the “Acknowledge of receipt” page.

After you submit your application

IRCC will mail the new study permit to your mailing address if your application is approved. If your contact information changes after submitting your application, you should update it through IRCC webform as soon as possible.

Tip: IRCC may request additional documents to be submitted in 5-10 business days while they are reviewing your application. You should check your IRCC account and email regularly for any message from IRCC. If you are asked for new documents and need information of how to submit it, review instructions on this website.


You should keep a digital copy of all your immigration documents in a safe and accessible place.