SCC Diversity Statement

We are an international community in an interconnected world.

We aspire to honour and respect all cultures, races, creeds, abilities, sexes, genders, and orientations; all human shapes, family systems, income levels, and diversities, seen and unseen.

Diversity enriches us while challenging us to evolve and humbly grow while we learn from one another.

We strive to pursue dignity for all life and lives, and cherish our precious planet.

As we work to foster a climate of healing and good will, we welcome you.

For urgent help

Are you experiencing a high degree of distress (e.g., you don’t feel safe, have been recently assaulted, have a plan to attempt suicide, witnessed a traumatic event) and need help immediately? If yes, we encourage you to consider contacting one of the 24 hour a day, 7 days a week crisis services listed below:

  1. Canada Mental health Crisis Helpline (988)
  2. Klinic Crisis Line (204-786-8686)
  3. Mobile Crisis Service (204-940-1781)
  4. Manitoba Suicide Prevention and Support Line (1-877-435-7170)
  5. First Nations and Inuit Hope for Wellness Services (1-855-242-3310)
  6. Sexual Assault Crisis Line (1-888-292-7565)
  7. The National Indian Residential School Crisis Line (1-866-925-4419)
  8. Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls Crisis Line (1-844-413-6649)

You can also receive help by going to a local hospital emergency or urgent care facility or travelling to the Crisis Response Centre at 817 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Finally, you may also drop by our office at 474 UMSU University Centre (Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm), or call our reception desk at 204-474-8592 to learn about our services and whether or not we can provide support immediately.

Our services

University of Manitoba, English Language Centre, and International College of Manitoba students can take advantage of our services which include:

  • Individual counselling services
  • Counselling workshops and groups
  • Support resources
  • Learning disability assessment services

Students who contact us will be provided with the level of support that best meets their needs and this can include referral to any of the services listed above as well as referral to appropriate University of Manitoba services and community services. This approach allows the SCC to provide support as quickly as possible to as many students as possible.

Faculty and staff can contact us for outreach services.

How do you know if you need support?

Most students face struggles at some point in their lives and there may be times when the struggles are beyond what can be managed. These struggles may include stress related to university studies, family or relationship difficulties, or unexpected events such as the Covid-19 pandemic.

It is common for students to experience anxiety, depression, self-doubt, low self-esteem, upsetting thoughts or uncontrollable worry when struggles happen. Sometimes, talking with family or friends is enough to help. Other times, making some lifestyle changes helps (e.g., getting more sleep, becoming more physically active). But sometimes more help is needed – that is when our services could be beneficial.

The American Psychological Association (APA) suggests two general guidelines to help you decide if you need help: (1) is the problem you’re having distressing and (2) is it interfering with some aspect of your life? Some other questions to consider are:

  • Are you thinking about the problem every day or most days?
  • Does the problem take up significant time each day (e.g., more than an hour)?
  • Are you hiding the problem from others in your life?
  • Is the problem reducing your quality of life (e.g., you're less happy, more tired, can't participate in activities you used to enjoy, etc.)?
  • Is the problem negatively affecting your university studies or other areas of your life (e.g., a job, relationships, finances, etc.)?
  • Are you changing things in your life to accommodate the problem (e.g., withdrawing from friends, family and social activities; withdrawing from classes; using substances to cope - e.g., cannabis, alcohol, etc.)?
  • Do you feel overwhelmed, hopeless, worthless?

If you've answered “yes” to any of these questions, we may be able to help. Drop by our office at 474 UMSU University Centre (Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm), or call our reception desk at 204-474-8592 to discuss your situation.

Contact Us

Student Counselling Centre (SCC)
474 UMSU University Centre
65 Chancellors Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada

204 474-8592
204 474-7558
Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.