The information on this page may change.

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed by Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Readers should always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.

Last updated March 2024

Before you invite a friend of family member:

When you invite a friend or family member to visit you in Canada, remember: citizens of certain countries require a valid Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada.

If your friend or family member wants to visit Canada, they must apply to the Canadian visa office responsible for his or her country or region. A visa officer will review the application and decide whether to issue a visa.

You can help your friend or family member by writing a letter of invitation. It should explain how you will help the person. For example, you may offer to pay for plane tickets or accommodation. A letter of invitation can help, but it does not guarantee the person will get a visa. Please note: Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires the individual issuing the invitation to write the letter; the University of Manitoba cannot write this letter on your behalf.

If a valid TRV is required, you should send your friend/family member supporting documents. They need to include these documents in their TRV application. People who do not require a TRV may require an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada and should bring supporting documents with them as well. US citizens and lawful permanent residents of the US do not require a TRV or eTA.

Some Canadian visa offices have additional requirements. Details about applying for a TRV can be found on the IRCC website. 

Suggested Supporting Documents

Invitation Letter

Learn about what to include in your letter of invitation from Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada. If you are inviting parents/family members to visit Winnipeg or attend your convocation, please remember that the University of Manitoba does not issue “invitation letters” on behalf of students since the University is not the one inviting them.

Passport and Immigration status document

Copy of your passport and photocopy of your immigration status document should be valid for the length of your family members' intended stay in Canada. These documents should be valid for the length of your family members' intended stay in Canada.

Study Permit Holders

Proof of relationship with the people you are inviting

Birth certificate, marriage certificate, correspondence, etc.

Proof of your available funds

If you are paying for their visit, you must provide proof that you have funds avaiable for this cost.