Tips regarding your passport and study permit

  • Always keep digital back ups of your important documents, saved in a safe location.
  • If these documents are lost—look everywhere possible! Retrace your steps, call the Winnipeg Transit Authority if you may have lost it on a public bus, contact UMSU’s lost and found if you may have lost it on campus.
  • To avoid carrying your passport with you for identification, consider getting a Manitoba ID card or Drivers License.

The information on this page may change.

The immigration information on this page has been reviewed by Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors (RISIAs) in compliance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations. However, this is not a legal document and information may change without notice. Readers should always refer to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the most up-to-date information.

Last updated March 2024

Replacing your passport

If you need to replace your passport, contact your country's embassy or high commission and request information on obtaining a new passport as soon as possible. This can sometimes take a long time and may involve travel to that embassy/high commission.

It is a good idea to file a police report for your missing or stolen passport. You can do so by calling the Winnipeg police non-emergency line at (204) 986-6222, they will take your information and then provide you with a police report number.

If your passport included a Temporary Resident Visa

Once you obtain a new passport you will need to apply for a new temporary resident visa (TRV).

There is a fee for a new Temporary Resident Visa.

If you are Visa Exempt but had an electronic travel authorization (eTA) tied to your old passport

Once you obtain a new passport, you will need to get a new eTA. Your eTA is electronically linked to your passport.

This only takes a few minutes and there is a fee for a new electronic travel authorization.

If you need to replace your Study Permit

If you no longer have your Passport and Study Permit, replace your passport first (as described above).

To get a copy of a lost, stolen or destroyed study permit you must fill out a paper application and pay a $30 fee.

Filling out the form

Part A: Fill out all required biographical and contact information

Part B: You are requesting a “Replacement of a valid temporary resident document”, fill in the document with as much detail about your permit as possible

  • If your permit was lost or stolen, you will be asked to include a Police Report Number. You can do so by calling the Winnipeg police non-emergency line at (204) 986-6222, they will take your information and then provide you with a police report number. 

Part C: Not required to complete 

Declaration: Sign and Date in the space provided

Document Checklist

  • Original application form – completed, printed and signed

  • You will be asked to include photocopies of 2 forms of federal or provincially recognized identification. One must include a photo, the other may or may not include a photo. 
    • Common examples of documents to use:
      • Passport biographical page
      • Manitoba Provincial driver's license
      • Birth Certificate
  • Copy of fee payment receipt (details below)

Pay your fees

There is a fee to replace your Study Permit. To pay your fees for your application you will need:

  • a valid e-mail address
  • access to a printer (you will need to print the receipt)
  • a credit card, Debit MasterCard® or Visa® Debit card

Instructions to pay:

  • Go to Online Payment.
  • Under Step 3, find Option 2, select “other services” and click continue.
    • On the next page, type 1 into the box beside “Verify your status or replace an immigration document” then click submit.
    • You will then be directed to ‘login and pay’.
    • You may need to register for a new account. This account is different than your IRCC Secure Account which you may have used to apply for a study permit extension.
  • At the end, click on the button to print the IRCC official receipt with barcode. Print two copies.
  • Attach a copy of this receipt to your completed application.
  • Keep the second copy of the receipt for your records.

Do not exit without printing the receipt! The printed receipt is your proof of payment!