International Student Funding

Below are a number of funding opportunities available specifically to international students.  Please note that these are not the only opportunities available to you.

The UMGF and MGS are among the many others awarded according to your course of study and academic eligibility.

International Graduate Student Entrance Scholarship (IGSES)
International students entering their first year of full-time graduate studies in pursuit of a Master's, PhD or Graduate Diploma may be eligible for this scholarship.  Academic qualification for this scholarship is a grade point average (GPA) of 3.5 in the previous two years of study.  When we calculate your GPA during the admission process, we will determine your eligibility, so there is no need to apply for this scholarship.

International Graduate Student Scholarship (IGSS)
This scholarship provides funding in subsequent years when full tuition fee is required. Deadline for applications is May 1 of each year.

International Graduate Student Bursary (IGSB)
Awarding of this bursary is based on grade point average and verification of need.  It will help to provide financial aid in subsequent years when full tuition fee is required, and is administered by the Financial Aid and Awards Office.

The following links may also be of help:

Commonwealth Scholarships [go to their website]
Australia, India, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom are involved in this program. In addition to those countries the following commonwealth countries offer awards in some years: Ghana, Jamaica, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Sri Lanka, Trinidad & Tobago.  You would apply for this in your home country.

Government of Canada Awards [go to their website]
A cultural exchange program with these countries: France, Germany, Italy, Japan and Mexico. Contact the ministry or department concerned with study and training in your home country.

Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) [go to their website]
This award is restricted to countries with which Canada has established a bi-lateral agreement. Contact the ministry or department concerned with study and training in your home country.

Joint Japan/World Bank Graduate Scholarship [go to their website]
For students in a graduate studies program leading to a higher degree in a development-related social science. Must be a national of a World Bank member country and must hold a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in the social sciences, law, business or public administration, or any other development-related technical discipline. 

American citizens
American citizens may be eligible for the G.I. Bill of Rights and/or the Higher Education Assistance Plan. Inquire approximately one year in advance to your home State’s Department of Education.

American citizens are eligible to apply for Fulbright Graduate Scholarships. For more information, visit their website [here].

Organization of American States (OAS) Fellowships
Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of an OAS member country, with a university degree or who have demonstrated ability to pursue advanced studies in the field chosen. OAS member States are: Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Dominican Republic, St. Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, United States, Uruguay and Venezuela. Candidates must know the language of the study country. Application forms should be obtained the National Liaison Office (ONE) in the applicant’s country of origin. Applications should be presented sufficiently in advance with all the required documentation. The deadline for presentation of applications to National Liaison office (ONE) differs from country to country and should therefore be confirmed with the relevant ONE in the applicant’s country of origin.