Who can be a mentee?
All incoming international students studying at the undergraduate or graduate level who are new to life at UM are encouraged to apply. Welcome Mentors is a great way to meet other students, and enhance your intercultural and communication skills. For Fall 2021, the program will take place virtually.
Mentees are paired with an experienced UM student (peer mentor) for one academic term who can provide advice and support such as:
- advice about tasks such as registering for courses, paying fees, etc.
- connecting with resources offered at the UM (either remotely or in-person)
- help adjusting to Canadian culture and academic culture at UM
Many new students are eager to participate as a mentee; however, spots are limited to ensure the best experience for both mentors and mentees. We require all mentees to fully engage in the program by:
- attending a virtual orientation session
- regularly checking your email for messages from your mentor and maintaining regular contact
- committing to meet with your mentor at least once per week virtually
- submitting feedback to the Intercultural Program Coordinator when requested