- The GUESS Problem Solving Method Workshop
- The GUESS Problem Solving Method Workshop Transcript (PDF)
- The GUESS Problem Solving Method Workshop(PDF)
Academic Learning Centre
The Academic Learning Centre serves graduate and undergraduate, full and part-time students at UM. Make an appointment with a writing or study-skills tutor or sign up for one of our many workshops, all at no charge.
Academic Learning Centre
Academic Learning Centre services
We help you strengthen your writing, studying and research skills.
- Individual tutoring
- Group study sessions (select courses)
- Tip sheets
- English as an Additional Language resources
Please check our online schedule for information about types of tutoring available (in-person, online).
Reading to Write
READING TO WRITE (2023)
- A free, three week, online, academic writing and reading program
- Practice reading academic texts and complete four basic academic writing tasks
- Get feedback on writing, reading, language skills from an ALC tutor
- Non-credit program - there is no grade penalty
- Eligible for Co-Curricular Record (CCR)/Experience Record Credit
- Best suited for students who have completed fewer than 60 credit hours
The Academic Learning Center will offer this program in two sessions:
Session 1: July 3 - July 21 Session 2: July 24 - August 12
Registration for RWP Session 1 ends June 15, 2023, and the registration for RWP Session 2 ends July 15, 2023. Only 20 participants will be accepted per session.
Students must register prior to each session by completing the Reading to Write Program Application.
Group study sessions
Participate in group study sessions (also known as Supplemental Instruction or SI) for select undergraduate courses. These weekly group sessions are facilitated by a peer mentor who has previously taken the course and provide students with an opportunity to work together on problems, compare notes, and discuss questions.
SI study sessions will start in September. Information about accessing the study groups will be provided in your classes and through course UM Learn pages.
Tip sheets for writing and study skills
The Academic Learning Centre’s extensive collection of tip sheets to help you with many of the academic tasks you’ll encounter in university.
You can use and copy these provided you print the pages in their original format and credit UM's Academic Learning Centre. If you have any questions regarding the tip sheets or their use, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Avoiding Redundancy (PDF)
- Citing Common Knowledge & Lived Experience (PDF)
- Citing Secondary or Indirect Sources (PDF)
- Connection Words (PDF)
- Email Etiquette (PDF)
- Geology Report Writing (PDF)
- Mind Mapping (PDF)
- Paraphrasing (PDF)
- Reference Note Cards (PDF)
- Research Log (PDF)
- Research Log Example (PDF)
- Research Paper Timeline (PDF)
- Reviewing Your Academic Paper (PDF)
- Sample Paper Outline (PDF)
- Sample Paper Outline Blank (PDF)
- Summarizing (PDF)
- Thesis Statement (PDF)
- Thesis Statement Development by Formula (PDF)
- Verbs Describing Author's Attitude (PDF)
- Writing a Great Title (PDF)
- Writing an Academic Paper (PDF)
- Writing a Science Lab Report (PDF)
- APA (American Psychological Association)
- CMS (Chicago Manual of Style)
- MLA (Modern Language Association)
- American Chemical Society (ACS) style American Mathematical Society Council of
- Geological Society of America Geology
- IEEE Style Engineering and Computer Science
- AMA - Vancouver (Health Science Style)
Learning and memory
Math and problem solving courses
Studying and self-care
Tests and exams
The Academic Learning Centre has created videos to help you hone your academic skills. You can access each of these in your browser or as a PDF.
Thesis Structure and Organization for Graduate Students
Preparing for and Writing Take-Home Exams
Tips for Writing Online Exams
These four videos share tips on how to prepare yourself for writing exams in an online environment.
Resources for faculty and staff
Writing Services Coordinator / Instructor
Supplemental Instruction Coordinator / Instructor/ Learning Specialist
Instructor / Academic Coach
Content and Study Skills Tutoring Coordinator/ Instructor / EAL Specialist
ARTS 1110 Coordinator/ Instructor
Workshop Coordinator/ Instructor
Academic Learning Centre (Fort Garry campus)
Room 201 Tier Building
173 Dafoe Rd W
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2M9 Canada
Student services at Bannatyne campus
Bannatyne Reception Desk
S211 Medical Services Building