Academic Learning Centre
The Academic Learning Centre serves graduate and undergraduate, full and part-time students at UM. Make an appointment with a writing or study-skills tutor or sign up for one of our many workshops, all at no charge.
Academic Learning Centre
Academic Learning Centre services
We help you strengthen your writing, studying and research skills.
- Individual tutoring
- Group study sessions (select courses)
- Tip sheets
- English as an Additional Language resources
Content tutors will be available again in Fall 2020.
Group study sessions
Group study sessions will be available again in Fall 2020.
Participate in group study sessions (also known as Supplemental Instruction or SI) for select undergraduate courses. These weekly group sessions are facilitated by a peer mentor who has previously taken the course and provide students with an opportunity to work together on problems, compare notes, and discuss questions.
Tip sheets for writing and study skills
The Academic Learning Centre’s extensive collection of tip sheets to help you with many of the academic tasks you’ll encounter in university.
You can use and copy these provided you print the pages in their original format and credit UM's Academic Learning Centre. If you have any questions regarding the tip sheets or their use, contact email@example.com.
- Avoiding Redundancy (PDF)
- Citing Common Knowledge & Lived Experience (PDF)
- Citing Secondary or Indirect Sources (PDF)
- Connection Words (PDF)
- Email Etiquette (PDF)
- Geology Report Writing (PDF)
- Mind Mapping (PDF)
- Paraphrasing (PDF)
- Reference Note Cards (PDF)
- Research Log (PDF)
- Research Log Example (PDF)
- Research Paper Timeline (PDF)
- Reviewing Your Academic Paper (PDF)
- Sample Paper Outline (PDF)
- Sample Paper Outline Blank (PDF)
- Summarizing (PDF)
- Thesis Statement (PDF)
- Thesis Statement Development by Formula (PDF)
- Verbs Describing Author's Attitude (PDF)
- Writing a Great Title (PDF)
- Writing an Academic Paper (PDF)
- Writing a Science Lab Report (PDF)
Learning and memory
Math and problem solving courses
Studying and self-care
Tests and exams
The Academic Learning Centre has created videos to help you hone your academic skills. You can access each of these in your browser or as a PDF.
Thesis Structure and Organization for Graduate Students
Resources for faculty and staff
Academic Learning Centre (Fort Garry campus)
Room 201 Tier Building
173 Dafoe Rd W
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2M9 Canada
Student services at Bannatyne campus
Bannatyne Reception Desk
S211 Medical Services Building