Explore Our Residence

Benefits of residence

Resident stories

Residence rates

Fall 2024/Winter 2025 Students

Fall 2024/Winter 2025 (UM Students)

August 31, 2024 to April 26, 2025
Room Rate  Meal Plan Residence Council Fee Total
$4,802.50 $8,052.38 $60 $12,914.88

Note: Early move-in and late move-out can be arranged for an additional nightly fee. 

Payment Schedule for Fall 2024 and Winter 2025
  Due Date  Amount Due 
Non-Refundable Deposit (Applied to Winter 2025 fees) 10 days after acceptance $1,000.00
Fall 2024 Fees  September 4, 2024 $6,430.56
Winter 2025 Fees  January 6, 2025 $5,484.32


Fall 2024/Winter 2025 (ICM Students)

Note: As ICM students are not registered of the University of Manitoba, fees for the academic year are due on move-in. 

Fall 2024/Winter 2025 (ICM Students) 

August 31, 2024 to April 26, 2025
Room Rate  Meal Plan  Residence Council Fee  College Associate Membership  Total
$4,802.50 $8,052.38 $60 $30 $12,944.88

Note: Early move-in and late move-out can be arranged by an additional nightly fee. 

Payment schedule for Fall 2024 and winter 2025
  Due Date  Amount Due 
Non-Refundable Deposit (Applied to Winter 2025 Fees) 10 days after acceptance  $1,000.00
Fall 2024 and Winter 2025 Fees  September 4, 2024  $11,944.88

Price Comparison - On campus vs. Off campus

Expense Residence Living Cost Off-Campus Living Cost
Residence and Meal Plan $12,914.88 $0
U-Pass (Transit Pass)  $431.20 $431.20
Rent  $0 $11,040
Utilities (Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage) $0  $1,567
Food Expenses $0  $2,842
Internet $0 $720
Total Cost for 8 months  $13,346.08 $16,600.20
Monthly Cost  $1,668.26 $2,075.03
Daily Cost  $55.61 $69.18

Immediate vacancies available

If you are need of immediate housing, please contact Matthew Bowman for details.

Important Information

  • If you miss a payment, or are late in making the payment, you will be charged a late fee.
  • Cheques are payable to St. Johns College, not the University of Manitoba
  • Unpaid accounts will result in your University of Manitoba student account being placed on hold. This will prevent you from accessing your marks, using the library, registering for classes, etc.
  • To avoid line ups, please pay your fees in advance.

Methods of Payment

Cheques & Money Orders:

  • Please ensure your name and student number is on the cheque.
  • Cheques are to made payable to St. Johns College.
  • Our Mailing address is: St. Johns College, 92 Dysart Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 2M5
  • Payment must be made in Canadian currency. All cheques must be payable to St. Johns College and drawn from a Canadian Institution.

Credit Cards:

  • Visa and MasterCard are the only credit cards that are accepted. Credit card payments can be processed in person, or by phone.


  • We only accept Canadian currency

Debit Cards

  • Contact your bank to ensure your daily withdrawal limit is high enough to cover the cost of your fees.


Wire Transfers

  • Please email the assistant bursar, Sharaina Cottick for wire transfer instructions.

Applied to residence, but not accepted by the University of Manitoba

If you make the $1,000 residence non refundable deposit and are not accepted to attend the University of Manitoba, you may be eligible for a refund. In order to be considered for a refund, you must supply a copy of the email or letter you received from the university to us immediately upon receiving it. Once we receive a copy of the letter, you will be notified as to the amount you are eligible to receive.

It is your responsibility to cancel your residence application or you will be responsible for the full room and meal plan fees.

On campus vs. off campus price breakdown

Expense Residence Living Cost Off-Campus Living Cost
Residence and Meal Plan $12,914.88 $0
U-Pass (Transit Pass)  $431.20 $431.20
Rent  $0 $11,040
Utilities (Electricity, Heating, Cooling, Water, Garbage) $0  $1,567
Food Expenses $0  $2,842
Internet $0 $720
Total Cost for 8 months  $13,346.08 $16,600.20
Monthly Cost  $1,668.26 $2,075.03
Daily Cost  $55.61 $69.18

Source information

  • Average monthly rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in Winnipeg: $1282. National Rent Report, November 2023. 
  • Average monthly utilities for 85m2 apartment in Winnipeg: $224.20. Numbeo, Cost of Living – Winnipeg, November 2023.
  • Median between Male ($365.02/month) and Female ($317.82/month). Canada’s Food Price Report.
  • Assumes food is exclusively cooked at home and includes no food service costs. Quick-service meals in Winnipeg (Big Mac, Whopper etc.) are $14-15+ per meal. 
  • Rogers with Shaw Ignite Internet 75 promotional offer ($55/mo. with a two-year commitment. Regular price is $100/mo.)

Virtual open house

Current St John's residents

Frequently asked questions

How much does it cost to live in Residence?

Current Residence fees

Residence fees include the compulsory comprehensive Daily Bread in-house meal plan, in-room cable internet, and all utilities.

You will be charged a $30 application fee when you submit your application, and a $1000 non-refundable deposit is required to finalize your reservation.

How do I pay my residence fees and when are they due?

Due dates for the current session  

We accept the following payment methods:

Cheques and Money Orders

  • Cheques must be payable to St John’s College and must be drawn from a Canadian financial institution.
  • Please ensure your name and student number are on the cheque.
  • Our mailing address is: Assistant Bursar, St John’s College, 92 Dysart Road, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2M5

Credit Cards

  • Only Visa and Mastercard are accepted.
  • Payments can be processed in-person or by phone.


  • We only accept Canadian currency.


  • Interac e-Transfers can be sent to and must include your surname and “Residence Fees” in the message field. Please contact your bank for instructions.

Wire Transfer

Do you have payment plans available?

We are always happy to discuss individual payment plans with eligible students. For further information, contact the Dean of Residence.

Is there on-site parking?

A dedicated parking lot is located right next to the Residence. Arrangements are made through University of Manitoba Parking Services. 

Learn more about parking.

I'm studying on the Bannatyne campus. Is there transit available to get there?

Yes. Winnipeg Transit offers a variety of routes between the Fort Garry campus and downtown.

The Northwest Super Express (Route 36) operates between the Fort Garry campus and the Health Sciences Centre (Bannatyne campus) and takes approximately 35 minutes. Learn more about Winnipeg Transit.

What if I need help after hours?

Our Residence Dons are on-duty 4:30pm to 8:30am Monday to Thursday, and 24/7 from 4:30pm Friday to 8:30am Monday, and are trained in emergency response, first aid, and CPR.

Dons also provide support, referral, and a listening ear about anything from homesickness or interpersonal conflict to safety concerns. Additionally, the Fort Garry campus has uniformed University of Manitoba security staff on duty 24/7/365.

How do I apply for a room?

Step 1 – Submit an application
Step 2 – If you haven’t paid the $30 application fee via the application form, submit it using any of our accepted payment methods.
Step 3 – The Dean’s Office processes your application and confirms room availability.
Step 4 – If a room is available, the Dean’s Office tentatively holds it for you for 10 days. You will be notified via e-mail and must pay the $1000 non-refundable deposit within this timeframe. (The non-refundable deposit is applied to the final payment of the session for which you’re applying). If you apply later in the application period, you may receive a different deadline to pay the $1000 non-refundable deposit. In either case, applicants must follow the timeline laid out in the confirmation e-mail.
Step 5 – Once the $1000 non-refundable deposit is received, the Dean’s Office issues you a formal confirmation letter, which finalizes your Residence booking. You will also be e-mailed a copy of the Residence Contract and the current Residence Handbook.
Step 6 – Review and sign the Residence Contract and return to the Dean’s Office.
Step 7 – Move in!

Applicants are encouraged to ask questions and voice concerns at any time during the application process.

How do applications work if I'm staying for multiple terms?

Applications and deposits are by academic year or session. If you are staying in Residence for multiple terms, you will pay a new deposit for each academic session. You are only charged the application fee once.


In July 2024 you apply for Fall 2024 residence and pay the $30 application fee. Your application is accepted, and you pay the $1000 non-refundable deposit. The deposit is applied to your Winter 2025 fees (due in January 2025).

In late Spring 2025, you submit a renewal application and pay the $500 non-refundable summer session deposit. The deposit is applied to your August 2025 residence fees.

Can I move-in early or move-out late?

Yes, early move-ins and late move-outs are generally possible, pending room availability. Applications for late move-out are available at the end of each academic session. Residents must submit their application by the due date and will be charged a nightly late move-out fee.

Can I cook my own food?

Everyone in Residence participates in our Daily Bread in-house meal plan. We also provide a student kitchen which is equipped with basic cooking appliances to enable students to cook their own occasional meals and after-hours snacks.

Do I need to be on the meal plan?

Everyone in Residence participates in our Daily Bread in-house meal plan. As such, living in Residence is predicated on participation in the meal plan and it is not possible to opt-out.


Can you accommodate specific dietary needs?

We are a small residence community, and our food services are located in the same building as the Residence living accommodations. This makes taking care of individual students a little easier. Our Food Services team is always happy to work with students to provide meals that accommodate specific dietary restrictions, subject to the limitations of our food services program. 

Contact the Dean of Residence to begin a conversation about whether we can meet your specific needs.

Do you have private bathrooms?

All Residence rooms are single occupancy with individual stall bath, shower, and toilet facilities shared by gender on each floor. These facilities are cleaned and sanitized daily by our friendly Housekeeping staff.

Can I choose my room?

Rooms are assigned by the Dean’s Office and consider several factors. Both existing residents and new applicants are invited to indicate a room request on their application or renewal form.

Room requests will be accommodated as available.

Can I have friends over?

Friends are welcome to visit, but you are responsible for their behaviour while in the Residence. Guests are welcome to stay for meals, but you must purchase them a meal ticket from the General Office or the Don on duty.

Overnight guests are subject to the limitations laid out in the Residence Contract (2.13) and must be signed in with the Don on duty.

Can I drink, smoke tobacco, or smoke/consume cannabis in the Residence?


Alcohol may be consumed in approved areas provided you are 18 years old and your alcohol use complies with applicable policies in the Residence Contract (2.1 and 2.2).


Smoking, vaping, and e-cigarette use are not permitted in the Residence. Residents who smoke must do so in the designated smoking area outside the north door of the Residence and tobacco use must comply with the applicable policies in the Residence Contract (2.3).


Smoking, vaping, cooking, growing, and preparing cannabis are not permitted in the Residence. Consumption of legally purchased edibles may be permitted provided your use of edibles complies with the applicable policy in the Residence Contract (2.5).


Residents with a prescription for medical cannabis are encouraged to contact the Dean’s Office for information on authorized cannabis usage.

Is there a curfew?

No. You’re free to come and go as you wish.

Quiet Hours exist to ensure the Residence remains an environment that is conducive to adequate sleep and time for studying. Quiet Hours are from 10:00pm to 8:00am Sunday to Thursday, and 2:00am to 8:00am on Fridays, Saturdays, and Holiday Sundays. During these hours noise must be confined to a level that is inaudible outside your room.

Can I live in residence over the winter break?

Yes. If you currently live in residence, you can stay in your room over the Winter Break for no extra cost. However, there is no meal plan service during the closure period. If you are moving in during the Winter Break, you will be charged a nightly room-only rate for the duration of the closure period.

Winter Break Dons are on duty 24/7 during the closure, and assist with housekeeping, snow removal, and community safety.

Can I live in residence over the summer?

Yes. Our Residence offers month-to-month room and board over the summer months, which includes the same Daily Bread in-house meal plan you’ve enjoyed throughout the academic year. A $500 deposit is charged, and 30 days’ notice is required for any changes to your departure date.

Join St John's residence

You may also be looking for

Contact Us

Matthew Bowman, Dean of Residence
92 Dysart Road
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2M5 Canada

(204) 474-8363
Our office is open Monday - Friday, 8:30 am - 4:30 pm