International student orientation and welcome
Studying in a new country can be both exciting and overwhelming. To help international students with their transition to Canada and the University of Manitoba, the International Centre offers orientation and welcome programming at the beginning of each term. Get the information you need and connect with other international students going through the same experience.
No matter where you are in the world, we still have a complete series of online events to welcome you virtually!
International Centre orientation and welcome
All summer 2022 International Student Welcome Sessions will be offered online, please access the schedule below.
Please visit the Covid-19 information for students page for the latest UM information and updates.
1. Complete your UM Essentials online training
Undergraduate students are automatically registered for UM Essentials. You will receive an email when you have been enrolled.
UM Essentials is intended to help you prepare for your studies at the University of Manitoba. After you complete UM Essentials you will be able to:
- Explain your rights and responsibilities as a new student joining the University of Manitoba community.
- Locate resources for navigating all areas of life as a new student.
- Identify and implement strategies for effective online learning.
- Summarize expectations for academic work.
- Recognize opportunities for personal skill development and community engagement.
- Demonstrate proficiency in using UM Learn.
All first year undergraduate students must complete UM Essentials. You will receive an email to your @myumanitoba.ca account with instructions on how to access UM Essentials, once you have been enrolled in the course. UM Essentials opens April 12, 2022.
Graduate students are not able to access the UM Essentials course. Instead, plan your success with #UMGradGoals.
To access the course, log in to UM Learn using your UM Email.
2. Attend International Student Welcome Sessions
International Student Welcome Sessions were organized to help you prepare for life as an international student. The sessions will help you be informed, healthy, and successful as you transition to the University of Manitoba.
All sessions will be held virtually over Zoom. Once, registered, you will receive a unique link to access the Zoom platform at least 24 hours before the session.
To register, you need to sign up with your University of Manitoba @myumanitoba email account.
International Student Welcome Session (June 2, 2022)
In this session, you will learn about how to navigate the University of Manitoba system, resources for students and supports for international students. Learn Canadian culture including values, communication styles and adaptation. Then, discuss academic integrity at the University of Manitoba and learn the rules and expectations for your academic work.
Please choose one of the dates, both sessions are the same and you only need to attend one:
Wednesday, May 4 | 9 – 11 a.m CST (Session has passed)
Money basics for newcomers (June 7)
Participants who are new to Canada will learn about the banking and credit system as well as how to avoid debt and scams. Session will be online over zoom. Please RSVP to confirm your attendance.
Orientation & Welcome Session Recordings
Please select the topics below to access the recordings for all sessions we have offered this past year.
International Student Health Plan
This session is facilitated by the Student Care Office and will explain aspects of the Manitoba International Student Health Plan (MISHP) what it covers, how to access care and more. It is important to learn all about MISHP so that you know how your coverage works before you need it. Sessions are open to all international students.
Writing Essentials for International Students
Learn about specific study skills, practice with some writing examples and find out where to get academic writing support. This session is open to all international students.
Renting Housing in Manitoba
Learn about how and where to find safe housing in the city and tips to avoid rental advertisement fraud.
This session is open to all UM students.
Taking Care of Your Health and Wellness
Learn about how to take care of your health & wellness as an international student at the University of Manitoba.
Indigenous History and Reconciliation in Canada
Learn about the Indigenous history in Canada and reconciliation in the Canadian context.
Click here for the recording
3. Things to do
- Make sure that you review the important dates and deadlines page to know when you can view the course calendar, when you can find out your registration access time and when registration opens
- Claim your University of Manitoba UM Net ID in signUM
- Activate your U of M email account
- Review our Immigration information to help you understand your responsibilities as an international student before you arrive
- Familiarize yourself with UMLearn
- Self-enroll in Sexual Violence Awareness course in UMLearn (found under Self-Registration tab on the UMLearn home page)
- Undergraduate students: Complete your UM Essentials online training (log in to UM Learn using your UMnetID) before attending one of our Welcome Sessions (you are automatically enrolled).
- Graduate students are not able to access the UM Essentials course. Instead, plan your success with #UMGradGoals
- Undergraduate students: email to an Academic Advisor in your Faculty if you have questions about course selection and registering for courses
- Graduate students: contact your department/unit for information on how to register for your courses
- Request your Photo Identification (ID) card if you are in Canada
- For current access to library materials or research support from one of our library staff, visit the Libraries page for updates
- Order your textbooks from the UMBookstore
- Review information on International student health coverage and attend one of our virtual sessions on International Student Health Plan
- Purchasing travel health insurance before leaving your home country is strongly encouraged, to cover you until you can receive coverage under the International Student Health Plan
- Download your FREE copy of Office 365, with the newest version of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote
Additional orientation resources
Join our events
Check back often for events hosted by the International Centre!
International Transitions Coordinator
541 UMSU University Centre
75A Chancellors Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada