International student orientation
Studying in a new country can be both exciting and overwhelming. To help international students with their transition to Canada and the University of Manitoba, the International Centre offers orientation and welcome programming at the beginning of each term. Get the information you need and connect with other international students going through the same experience.
No matter where you are in the world, we still have a complete series of online events to welcome you virtually!
Fall 2021 Orientation
Fall 2021 International Student Orientation will be offered virtually between August 18 - 27, 2021. The schedule and registration details will be available soon.
International Centre orientation and events
1. Complete your UM Essentials online training
All new undergraduate students are expected to complete UM Essentials online orientation.
All new undergraduate students are expected to complete UM Essentials online orientation. This is a course that will give you the information you need to be successful as well as provide you the opportunity to ask questions of upper-level students and get to know your fellow first-year students. Some of the topics covered include:
- Moving to Winnipeg
- Finding your community at the U of M
- Preparing for online learning
- Supports for your academic success
- Planning your study schedule
- Building skills through volunteering
- Career planning
- Study strategies
- And more!
Undergraduate students are automatically registered for UM Essentials. You will receive an email when have been enrolled.
Graduate students are not able to access the UM Essentials course. Instead, plan your success with #UMGradGoals.
To access the course, log in to UM Learn using your UM Email.
2. Review International Student Orientation Sessions
Spring Welcome Sessions were organized to help you prepare for life as an international student.
Please access the recordings for:
- Information about the UM and the International Centre (IC), Canadian culture, and academic culture at the UM
- International student health insurance
- Renting housing in Manitoba
- Indigenous history and reconciliation in Canada
- Writing essentials for international students
To access a PDF of the slides used, please email Mercy.Oluwafemi@umanitoba.ca
3. Things to do
- Make sure that you review the important dates and deadlines page to know when you can view the course calendar, when you can find out your registration access time and when registration opens
- Claim your University of Manitoba UM Net ID in signUM
- Activate your U of M email account
- Review our Immigration information to help you understand your responsibilities as an international student before you arrive
- Familiarize yourself with UMLearn
- Self-enroll in Sexual Violence Awareness course in UMLearn (found under Self-Registration tab on the UMLearn home page)
- Review various supports for students learning remotely, as all classes are currently held online for the 2020-21 academic year
- Self-enroll in Learning Online, UM Essentials course (LEARN_ONLINE_CENTRE_CO)
- Undergraduate students: Complete your UM Essentials online training (log in to UM Learn using your UMnetID) before attending one of our International Student Orientation sessions.
- Graduate students are not able to access the UM Essentials course. Instead, plan your success with #UMGradGoals
- Undergraduate students: email to an Academic Advisor in your Faculty if you have questions about course selection and registering for courses
- Graduate students: contact your department/unit for information on how to register for your courses
- Request your Photo Identification (ID) card if you are in Canada
- For current access to library materials or research support from one of our library staff, visit the Libraries page for updates
- Order your textbooks from the UMBookstore
- Review information on International student health coverage and attend one of our virtual sessions on International Student Health Insurance
- Purchasing travel health insurance before leaving your home country is strongly encouraged, to cover you until you can receive your International Student health insurance card
- Download your FREE copy of Office 365, with the newest version of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and OneNote
Additional orientation resources
Join our events
Check back often for events hosted by the International Centre!
International Transitions Coordinator
541 UMSU University Centre
75A Chancellors Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada