New student orientation

Orientation Information will be added for Fall 2022 once announced

Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences Virtual Tour

Next steps for new students

The UM offers a wide range of online information sessions to help new students prepare for university! Find your footing with next steps, find out what's next and get ready to register!

General questions

How do I know which courses to take to fulfil my program requirements and that I'm registered in the correct courses?

Program information and recommended progressions are available in “Degree requirements” section of our Degree advising page.

If you are unsure if you are registered in the correct courses, please feel free to contact the academic advisors at You can also run a UMAcheive audit.

How do I register for courses and resolve common registration issues?

There are tutorials and information available on the “Steps to Registration” webpage.

Attend a Get Ready to Register workshop! Get Ready to Register is a three-part series designed specifically to help new students make choices and decisions about target programs, course selection and registration.

There is a list of the most common errors in the Registration Information section of this website.

What is a prerequisite (prereq) / what high school courses are needed for my program / how do I upgrade a high school prereq?

Prerequisites are specific course(s) that you are required to take before you register in a course.  Some courses will require high school prerequisites but others will require university-level prerequisites. The prerequisite requirements of each course are listed online in Aurora Student in the Course Catalog, or in the Academic Calendar.

High School courses and minimum grades required for prereqs in FAFS degree programs can be found in the Academic Calendar Admission Regulations.

You can find more information about how to upgrade your high school courses on this page. 

Where can I find course outlines/syllabi?

Copies of course outlines will be disturbed by your instructor. If you would like to review a course outline prior to registration, or need an outline copy from a previous term, please see our Course outline page.

How do I Voluntarily Withdrawal from (VW) a course?

You can find instructions for how to VW from a course on this page.

If you would like to speak with an academic advisor prior to VWing from a course, please contact our office at

What courses should I take for my Free Electives?

For their Free Elective requirement, students can take any courses they wish for which they meet the requirements/prereqs! Free Elective courses do not have to be from a specific Faculty. 

Some students use their Free Electives to complete a minor, either in a subject complementary to their degree, or complete a minor in a separate area of interest. Here are a list minors offered at the UM

Students can use their Free Elective credits to take part in our Co-op program. A minor or the Co-op program are not required, but are excellent options to consider.

What is a minor and how do I declare one?

A minor is an optional secondary area of academic study. Generally, at least 18 credit hours of course work in one academic area constitutes a "minor."

A list of available minors at the University of Manitoba is available here. You can choose a minor in the FAFS Faculty, or in a different faculty. 

To declare a minor, you can send an email to the academic advisors at

How does the UM determine a full-time or part-time student status?

Student status is determined by the number of credit hours in each term (Fall and Winter). In the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, a student who is registered in a 60% course load which is a minimum of 9 credit hours in each term is considered to be a full time student. Therefore, a student with less than 9 credit hours is considered to be a part time student. 

Please note that the definition of full-time and part-time status may vary depending on offices / institutions. To be eligible for most scholarships students will need to have an 80% course load of 12 credit hours in Fall and 12 credit hours in Winter.

International Students should consult with the International Centre regarding their course load requirements for their visas, etc.

Can I transfer courses I’ve taken at another University/institution to my FAFS program?

Information about transfer credit can be found here. Anything that is applicable would be transferred in (if taken within the last 10 years). The residency is requirement is 60 credit hours so anything transferred in would count towards required courses but not towards the residency requirement. 

How do I contact the FAFS academic advisors?

We ask that students contact us through our office email: 

We expect professional communication from our students, please review the University's suggestions on email etiquette here.

In your email, be sure to include your first name and last name, UM student number, and a detailed description of your question(s).

Career and student involvement

How to stay up-to-date with Faculty and University events?

The "Aggie + Foodie News & Events" bi-weekly newsletter is sent to all Degree students from September to April. It contains information on upcoming dates, announcements, events, career resources, volunteer opportunities, etc. 

Stay connected by following FAFS on:

  • Instagram: 
  • Twitter:
  • Facebook:

Where can I find out more information about the Co-op program?

The Co-operative Education (Co-op) Program aims to connect student classroom learning with valuable work experience, preparing students for a successful career ahead of them.

You can find more information about the Co-op program on this page

Where can I find help for career opportunities and planning?

The best place for resources and assistance with career planning is Career Services. They have excellent information and resources. Highlights include:

How can I get involved with student clubs and organizations?

We are home to some of the most active student groups and clubs on campus, which provides extensive opportunities for fun and non-academic skills development.

Some student organization, volunteer and club experience may be eligible to be added to your Co-Curricular Record.

How can I find volunteer opportunities?

Volunteering is excellent way to gain the skills and experience to reach your academic and career goals. Some UM resources include:

External UM resources:

Check your emails

Student supports

I need assistance with strengthening my writing, studying and/or research skills.

The Academic Learning Centre can help you strengthen your writing, studying and research skills.

I am a person with a disability, how can I register with Student Accessibility Services?

Student Accessibility Services (SAS) is available to provide supports for students with disabilities and to foster success for your academic future.

If you need help and support as a student, see this webpage for how to register and/or access accessibility resources.

How can I access mental health support from the UM?

If you are struggling with your mental health, support is available.

Please explore the Student Counselling Centre (SCC) for all available resources.

Financial assistance options through awards, scholarships, bursaries and work-study

Below are links and important information that you might find helpful as you navigate the financial side of attending the UM:

Scholarships and awards:

Please be sure that you review the types of awards that we offer. There is a vast difference between scholarships, fellowships & bursaries. The definitions for each award can be found here.

UM Bursary program:

The UM offers a wide-range of bursaries to both new and continuing full-time and part-time students who have a demonstrated financial need and a minimum academic standing. 

Unlike scholarships and fellowships, bursaries are based on financial need and require an application. More information on bursaries, including important deadlines and how to apply, can be found here.

Work-study program:

The Work-Study program offers part-time, on-campus employment for students with financial need during the school year. 

I am an International Student with questions about my visa, student status, documentation etc.

Please consult with the International Centre advisors. They will refer to your Faculty academic advisor should they be required.

First year student resources

Starting your first year experience
Your first year of university is about settling into school, making good choices and developing good academic habits. Here is a summary of what to accomplish before the term starts and the resources available to you after school is underway.

Contact Us

Agricultural and Food Sciences Student Services Office
160 Agriculture Building | 66 Dafoe Road
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 5V6 Canada

Mon - Fri, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm