All transfers are subject to specific faculty, school, and college regulations and requirements. Regulations may vary depending on the faculty or school of application; some may only consider courses completed within the last 10 years.

Applying as a transfer student

You are an external transfer student if you have completed courses at another recognized post-secondary institution.

External transfer students can receive a maximum of two years (60 credit hours) of credit applied to a University of Manitoba degree, subject to faculty regulations and requirements. Usually, only work that you have completed within the last 10 years will be considered for transfer credit.

You are an internal transfer student if you have completed courses in another faculty at the University of Manitoba.

In most cases, there are no limits based on the date of original course completion or the amount of work that you can transfer internally from one degree to another, but the transfers are subject to faculty regulations and requirements.

Applying as a second degree student

You are a second degree candidate if you have already been awarded a first degree by the University of Manitoba or another recognized institution.

The rules regarding assessment of second degree students will vary between programs. Some programs require the assessment of all completed course work from accredited colleges or universities, while other programs restrict assessment to courses that may be used to satisfy course prerequisites or specific program requirements.

A maximum of up to two years (60 credit hours) may be considered for transfer credit towards your second degree, subject to program applicability.

Specific admissions requirements will vary depending on program. Please check the application materials for your specific program of interest for further information.

Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate students

Many courses from high school Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) programs are eligible for credit at the University of Manitoba.

Acceptance of these credits is not compulsory; you must indicate your intention to claim credit by completing a Request for University Credit for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Results form.

To apply for AP or IB credit:

Step 1: Ensure your official results are released to the University of Manitoba (we are unable to accept copies directly from students):

For AP results, this is accomplished by requesting that the College Board send an official AP score report to the University of Manitoba.

Visit College Board Sending AP Scores

For IB results, this is accomplished through your high school IB Diploma Programme Coordinator. After graduation, students may request to have their results sent to the University of Manitoba by placing a request with the IB request for results service.

Step 2: Once you have released your official results to the University of Manitoba, complete the Request for University Credit for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Results form.

Submit the form one of two ways:

1. Use the Submit option at the bottom of the form, or

2. Save a copy of the PDF and email it to with the following subject line: Request for university credit for AP or IB results.

You must open the form in a PDF program, such as Acrobat Reader, to ensure you can complete, save and submit the form.

Request for University Credit for AP or IB Results Form (PDF)

The University of Manitoba receives official results released by the College Board (AP) and International Baccalaureate Organization as a batch process by the end of June (AP) or first week of July (IB). Due to the number of AP or IB requests for transfer credit received, students that have not released their results in advance will not have their Request for University Credit for Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Results form processed prior to their initial course registration period.

Submitting course information

As part of the application for admission process to undergraduate degree and diploma programs at the University of Manitoba, your official transcript will be reviewed, and for all relevant courses that do not have a current, active evaluation, we will request detailed course outlines/syllabi from you by email, using the email address you provided as part of your application.

The University of Manitoba requires course outlines for all courses that may be used in the determination of admissibility and/or the Academic Assessment regulations for the undergraduate program of application.

Our office only requests and requires course outlines/syllabi for courses that lack current, active evaluations. Please consult the online Transfer Credit Resource to determine whether a current evaluation exists for your course(s) of study.

Submission of course outlines

Once we have requested course information from you, please submit it to We prefer PDF files and will not accept .zip or .rar files.

Please provide one course per attachment (including any corresponding laboratory information). Do not provide your course material as a single attachment for multiple courses, or send multiple files for a single course. You CAN send multiple outlines in a single email.

Please use the following naming convention when submitting your PDFs: Institution Name, Course Subject, Course Number, University of Manitoba Student Number, as follows:

University of Winnipeg ANTH 1001 007999999.pdf

If a course does not have a subject and/or number, please include the course title instead, as follows:

University of Winnipeg Introduction to Anthropology 007999999

All courses evaluated by the Department of English include an assessment of writing expectations (length of papers and research component, if applicable) to determine whether they satisfy the University of Manitoba Written English requirement. Please include this additional information for courses taught in a related discipline. English language courses will not be considered for transfer credit.

Course information should be as issued by your institution, and is subject to verification of authenticity, including the request of original copies from the institution directly for authentication of information (See Academic Fraud and Misconduct and Submitting Course Information).

Document submission deadlines

The deadline for receipt of course outlines/syllabi required for the determination of admissibility and competitiveness is program specific.

Failure to provide course outlines/syllabi by the dates specified in the Applicant Information Bulletin (See Important Deadlines and Dates) may render you inadmissible. Please consult the Applicant Information Bulletin for your program of application to confirm these deadlines.

For students successfully admitted to the University of Manitoba, remaining course outlines/syllabi must be received no later than:

Summer applications: July 1st
Fall applications: November 1st
Winter applications: March 1st

Academic fraud and misconduct and submitting course information

Information submitted for transfer credit assessment is subject to the University of Manitoba’s policy on academic fraud or misconduct, which includes:

  • failure to declare attendance at another post-secondary institution
  • presenting falsified academic documentation
  • encouraging another person to falsify records through translation or data changes
  • presenting falsified or fictitious reference documentation

The commission of applicant fraud or misconduct may result in acceptance and registration being withdrawn and the applicant disqualified from consideration, not only in the year of application, but in subsequent sessions. If discovered in a subsequent session, it may result in dismissal from the university.

Transfer credit assessment related definitions

Advanced Standing is the acknowledgement of academic achievement for the purpose of admission or program progression, based on work completed outside the current program of study, or from another postsecondary institution.

Credit Recognition is the formal expression of advanced standing on the official transcript, based on established articulation agreements or course-by-course review. Credit Recognition may be in the form of:

  1. Equivalent Course Credit: Credit awarded direct equivalency to course offerings at the University of Manitoba based on a determination of sufficient overlap in course learning outcomes. Equivalent course credit may be used in lieu of UM course offerings to fulfill prerequisite and program requirements.
  2. General (unallocated) Credit: Where sufficient overlap in course learning outcomes cannot be established based on course assessment, general (unallocated) credit may be used to meet general subject area or program requirements, but typically cannot be used in lieu of UM course offerings to fulfill specific prerequisite and program requirements without individual approval by either the program of study, or by the department or unit responsible for assessment.
  3. Block Credit: A block of credit awarded based on the successful completion of a recognized postsecondary credential, or approved grouping of courses.
  4. Notation of Exemption: Recognition of successful completion of prior postsecondary coursework without individual credit applied directly to the student record. Instead, individual courses or program requirements may be approved for exemption, and a notation placed on the official transcript, based on existing course assessments or program approval.

Satisfying the university written English requirement

You may need to request that external courses be assessed for satisfying the written English requirement for fulfilling admission requirements and/or the degree requirements of your chosen program.

Courses transferred from external institutions (other than Department of English courses) do not automatically satisfy the university written English requirement. We must assess each course individually.

The minimum requirements for a course to qualify for approval as meeting the written English requirement as approved by Senate include:

  1. There must be a minimum of either three pieces of written work, each being three to five pages in length, or two pieces of written work, each being six to eight pages in length.
  2. There must be a minimum of 3,000 words in total.
  3. There must be feedback on style as well as content.
  4. The written work must include a description or argument that is clear, concise, and logically constructed and that reflects an appropriate awareness of the audience or readership being addressed.

For more information:

Studying outside UM on a Letter of Permission

If you are in a degree program at the UM, you may take courses at other recognized colleges or universities for transfer of credit. Advance approval by your Faculty, College or School is required.

​​​​​​​Transfer credit agreements with other post-secondary institutions

The University of Manitoba has a number of credential completion opportunities in partnership with other post‐secondary institutions in Manitoba, Canada, and internationally. These collaborative opportunities enhance the student educational experience and support student mobility.

Refer to Academic planning and programs: Academic partnerships.

Contact us

Undergraduate Admissions
Room 424 UMSU University Centre
66 Chancellor's Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada

Toll free: 1-800-224-7713 ext:8808