Next Steps for New Students
Whether you have officially been admitted or are still waiting to hear from your future faculty, we're offering a wide range of online information sessions to help you prepare for university.
Next Steps for New Students
So, you've hit 'submit' on your UM application or you've already received an offer of admission - congratulations! If you're wondering what happens next, we have you covered. Our next steps series covers everything you need to know about becoming a UM student.
- Your application and admission offer
- Transitioning to university
- International students
- Financial planning for university
- Supporting your student - parent edition
Welcome to the Herd
Welcome new Bisons!
We are so excited for you to join us on Saturday, June 18 for the first in-person UM Orientation event in over two years! Explore the beautiful Fort Garry campus, meet students and staff, and discover the supports and resources available you. We want you to feel at home here at UM, so come for a visit and become part of the Herd!
Saturday, June 18 from 9:00 am - 1:30 pm Central Standard Time
- Career Planning Kickstart | 9:30, 11:30, 12:30
- High School vs. University (Parent Edition) | 9:30, 11:30, 12:30
- High School vs. University (Student Edition) | 9:30, 11:30, 12:30
- Student Supports | 9:30, 11:30, 12:30
- Get Ready to Register | 10:30
- Faculty Sessions | 10:30
*All times listed in Central Standard Time.
Walking campus tour
Throughout the day, the Student Life team will host campus tours. Check out their table at the Info Fair and sign-up for a group tour timeslot (limited capacity per tour group).
These 45-minute walking tours:
- Run every 30 minutes from 9:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Central Standard Time
- Highlight important buildings for first year students
Taking a break from sessions? Check-out all the services and supports UM has to offer at the Info Fair outside UMSU University Centre!
Get Ready to Register
Get Ready to Register is designed specifically to help all new students make choices and decisions about target programs, course selection and registration in classes. Whether you have a specific program in mind or are considering your options, we’ve got you covered! Watching both Get Ready to Register sessions will give you the tools you need to plan and register for your first year.
Part 1: How to Choose Your First-Year Courses
The First Year Centre has created the First Year Planning Guide (FYPG) for brand new UM students. This session introduces the FYPG as the tool you will use for course selection. Whether you have a target program in mind or are hoping to do some exploration, this session will set you on the path leading to successful selection of your first year university courses.
View a recording of Part 1 below. We’ll review how to make the most out of the FYPG and highlight the following:
- The difference between course planning and registration
- Commonly required first-year courses
- How to choose your first-year courses
- Where to find help
Part 2: Timetabling and Registration
Once you have an idea of the courses you want to take, the next step is building your timetable and completing registration. During this session, we walk you through the process of developing your schedule and the steps to becoming registered in UM classes.
This session will cover:
- Considerations for course load
- Steps for becoming enrolled in classes
- Planning for the unexpected
- Where to get help
*Please note that this session is designed for those who have already viewed Part 1: How to Choose Your First-Year Courses