Withdrawal deadlines

  • Last date to drop Fall Term 2020 and Fall/Winter Term 2020-2021, spanning courses with refunds
  • Fall Term Voluntary Withdrawal (VW) deadline
  • Fall/ Winter Term spanning courses Voluntary Withdrawal (VW) deadline
  • Last date to drop Winter Term and Winter/Summer Term spanning courses with refunds
  • Winter Term Voluntary Withdrawal (VW) deadline
  • Winter/Summer Term Voluntary Withdrawal (VW) deadline
Summer Term Important Dates

Irregular refund and VW deadlines

Refund and VW deadlines for courses offered outside the standard term dates have specific prorated deadlines. Please confirm refund and withdrawal dates with your faculty/school. You can also refer to the class schedule for dates.

Calculation of deadlines: calculation of deadlines: refunds are offered before completion of 15% of the course or program term. VWs are permitted before completion of 75% of the course or program for single term courses; 58% for courses that span two or more terms, but no refunds will be granted

Agriculture Diploma has specific refund and voluntary withdrawal deadlines as follows:

Fall Term

  • Refund deadline
  • Voluntary withdrawal deadline

Winter Term

  • Refund deadline
  • Voluntary withdrawal deadline

Dropping a Course

Difference between Dropping and Voluntarily Withdrawing (VW) from a course

  • Dropping a course is removing your course from your schedule within the Registration Revision Period. When a course is dropped within the revision period, you will receive a full refund for the course that you dropped.
  • Voluntarily Withdrawing (VW) from a course is removing a course from your schedule after the Registration Revision period has ended. Courses that are voluntarily withdrawn are not granted refunds. If you VW from a course, you are still required to pay the owed tuition fees

How to drop a course

It is advised that you speak with your professor or a faculty advisor before deciding to withdraw from a class, as this may affect your full-time student status, financial aid, and other things.

To drop a class:

  1. Login to your Aurora account.
  2. Select ‘Enrolment and Academic Records’ from the Main Menu.
  3. Select the term in which you wish to drop classes using the ‘Select Term’ option.
  4. Select ‘Add or Drop Classes’ from the menu.
  5. On your current list of classes, locate the course(s) you want to drop.  Next to these courses will be a drop-down box, select either ‘Drop Web’ or ‘Voluntary Withdraw Web’ depending on which is available at the time.
  6. Click ‘Submit Changes’ at the bottom of the screen.  To confirm that your course has been dropped, note that the course has been removed from your current registration record.

‘Drop Web’ will be available as soon as your Registration Time until the end of the registration revision period.

‘Voluntary Withdraw Web’ will appear after the registration revision period until the final day to voluntarily withdraw (VW) from a course.

After the VW deadline, there will be no option to drop the course using Aurora.

Courses that were meant to be dropped but were not dropped will still be issued a grade, even if you stop attending class! Please be sure classes are properly dropping your courses to avoid getting a grade of ‘F, no paper’ in the dropped section.

Changing your Courses

Changing Course Sections after Registering

After registering for courses you may change your mind about the courses you chose, or you may need to change your schedule.

To change classes or change sections within a course, you must drop the section you are currently enroled in and add the section in which you have decided to join.

In the case of course sections that are linked (i.e. Lectures and labs), you must drop both the lecture and lab and then re-add both a lecture section and lab section.


You are registered in CHEM 1300, sections A01 and B01. You wish to change to section B03, but stay in section A01.

  1. Drop both A01 and B01
  2. Add both A01 and B03.

Voluntary Withdrawal

A Voluntary Withdrawal (VW) is the act of dropping a course following the end of the registration revision period and prior to the voluntary withdrawal deadline.


  • No refund will be issued for a VWd course;

  • VWd courses will be recorded on official transcripts and student records;

  • Courses cannot be withdrawn from after the VW deadline applicable to that course has passed;

  • Courses which are not dropped by this deadline will be assigned a final grade.

Think before you drop...

You may consider voluntary withdrawing from a class for a variety of reasons. Before you decide, be sure to:

  • Speak with your course instructor about your concerns and if there are strategies for improvement before the end of term;

  • Visit your academic advisor about your course load, study strategies, and options for possibly repeating the course later;

  • Be aware of course load requirements and implications of VW - if you have a government student loan, are a sponsored student, a Bison athlete or are in any other type of situation that requires a minimum course load;

  • Refer to the First Year Planning Guide or the Academic Calendar to make sure you know where that course fits into your intended or current program;

  • Check to see if the course is required as a prerequisite for upper-level courses within your program;

  • Look at the Summer Term schedule to see if the course is offered again this year.

If you are unable to continue your studies....

Leave of absence

Undergraduate students

Some undergraduate programs require registration in each academic year following admission and first registration. Other programs permit students to study in some terms and be inactive in others with out the need to re-apply for admission. Consult your faculty or school section of the calendar or supplementary regulations available in faculty general offices for details.

Note: all students, regardless of faculty, who have been inactive for consecutive academic terms must contact their faculty prior to registration. Please see Returning to Study.

Graduate students

Students in the Faculty of Graduate Studies are expected to maintain continuous registration from admission through to graduation. Students who are unable to maintain continuous registration must contact their department to request approval for a leave of absence. There are specific regulations for parental leave and other exceptional circumstances. Contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies for details.

Types of Withdrawals

Authorized Withdrawal

An Authorized Withdrawal (AW) is extended to students who must withdraw from a course(s) for medical or compassionate reasons. AW requests must be supported by satisfactory documentation

Required withdrawal from professional programs

Senate, at the request of some faculties and schools, has approved bylaws granting them the authority to require a student to withdraw on the basis of unsuitability for the practice of the profession to which the program of study leads.

This right may be exercised at any time throughout the academic year or following the results of examinations at the end of every year. This right to require a student to withdraw prevails notwithstanding any other provisions in the academic regulations of the particular faculty or school regarding eligibility to proceed or repeat. Where Senate has approved such a bylaw, that fact is indicated in the calendar chapter for that faculty or school. A copy of the professional unsuitability bylaw may be obtained from the general office of the faculty or school.

Attendance at class and debarment

Regular attendance is expected of all students in all courses.

An instructor may initiate procedures to debar a student from attending classes and from final examinations and/or from receiving credit where unexcused absences exceed those permitted by the faculty or school regulations.

A student may be debarred from class, laboratories, and examinations by action of the dean/director for persistent non-attendance, failure to produce assignments to the satisfaction of the instructor, and/or unsafe clinical practice or practicum. Students so debarred will have failed that course.

Course drop date

The course drop date in Fall and Winter Terms is one working day prior to the course add date. In Summer Term the deadlines to add or drop courses are the same.  Refer to important dates and deadlines

This date is of the registration revision period, which is the first two weeks of class.  You can use this time to attend classes, test out your classroom experience and determine if you will remain registered in the courses you have selected or if changes should be made.

Withdrawal policies and procedures