On this page:

Why am I on Hold?       Removing a Hold      Types of Holds      

Student Time Status

Why am I on hold?

What is a Hold?

Hold Status is a block on your student record that goes into effect when you need to take urgent action on an issue with your account. Holds can range from academic matters that you need to resolve, such as submitting documentation or can be the result of financial matters such as outstanding tuition fees.

The type of hold and reason for the hold will determine what actions you can and can not do in Aurora, while on hold. In some cases, you may have limited or no administrative or academic services available until the hold has been resolved. You must clear your hold with the office that placed your account on hold.

Some typical reasons for holds are:

  • Program/course selection must be approved
  • U1 student must transit into the Faculty of Arts or Science
  • Required Major, Minor, and/or Concentration declaration
  • Transcripts or documents required from other institutions
  • Unpaid tuition and/or other university fees
  • Outstanding library books and/or fines
  • Parking fines
  • Pending disciplinary action

"Hold Status" students are permitted to withdraw from courses but will require advisor assistance.

Removing a Hold

Removing a Hold

To remove a hold on your account, you will need to determine the reason why your account is on hold.

To view and resolve holds on your account:
  1. Log in to Aurora.
  2. Select Student Records.
  3. Select View Holds.
  4. From here you will be able to determine the type of hold you have, as well as the academic unit that placed you on hold.

If you are clear on the reasoning for the hold,  you may now take the steps to resolve it (depending on the hold reasoning).

If you are unsure why you have been placed on hold, please contact the faculty or unit that placed your account on hold for assistance in getting it resolved.

If you are still unsure of the reasoning for the hold, you may contact the Registrar's Office for further information.

Academic holds

Academic holds are often a result of a required transit from U1 into the Faculty of Arts or Science, a lack of a Major, Minor, and/or Concentration declarations, or a pending disciplinary action.

Advisor and program holds

Students enroled in some programs are required to discuss their course selections and program status with an advisor prior to registration. Advisor and program holds normally only restrict registration activity; other administrative services remain available.

Students can verify whether their program requires consultation with an advisor by checking their faculty/school section of the Academic Calendar, or by viewing their Registration Time and Status in Aurora.

Science Students in Major and Honours programs must obtain written departmental approval for their course selection and deliver it to the Faculty of Science Dean's office prior to registration.

Environment, Earth and Resources students in Advanced, Major and Honours Programs must obtain written departmental approval for their course selection and deliver it to the Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth and Resources Dean's office prior to registration

Transit from U1 into Arts or Science

Once reaching a certain number of successfully completed credit hours, U1 students may either use a one-time-only transit from U1 into the Faculty of Arts or the Faculty of Science at no cost, or apply for admission to another program.

This option is available once a minimum of 24 credit hours has been reached, and students are normally placed On Hold and required to leave U1 once reaching 30 credit hours.

Students may only transit from U1 into either the Faculty of Arts or Science once; an application for admission is likely to be required for any subsequent movement between faculties, schools and/or programs.

More information is available from the U1 First Year Centre: Leaving University 1.

U1 students are encouraged to be aware of upcoming application deadlines: Admissions.

Declare Major, Minor or Concentration

Students in some programs may be required to declare a Major, Minor and/or Concentration.  A hold may be used to prompt students to make these declarations, once a certain number of credit hours has been reached.  For some students, this declaration can be done online using the Declarations menu in Aurora.

Students intending to Declare or change a Major, Minor or Concentration must do so BEFORE registering for classes.  Declarations or changes of Major and Minor after registration for the term must be done by your faculty/school.

Student status

Full-time and Part time status is determined by your credit load in each term of study.

Full Time and Part-Time Study

Student status is considered on a term-by-term basis. For most purposes, Full-time students are students registered in at least 9 credit hours a semester (60% of a full course load). Part-time students are students registered in less than 9 credit hours a semester (less than 60% of a full-time course load).

Course loads are determined by your credit load in each term of study, this is coordinated through your program of study. If you are unsure of your program's course load requirements, please contact your faculty. The summer semester is an optional semester for most programs and as such is not typically required. If you are unsure if you need to register for summer courses, please consult your faculty.

For example, if your program normally requires 30 credit hours each year (Regular Session), the normal full load is 15 credit hours each term. 60% of the full load is 9 credit hours each term.

Credit hour requirements sometimes vary by the year in the program. For example, Year 1 & 2 may consist of 30 credit hours, while 33 credit hours are required in Year 3. In these cases, the credit hours used to determine the full-time credit hour load (60%) is normally the lower number of credit hours. In the example above, the full-time requirement would be 60% of 15 cr hrs (30 cr hrs / 2).

If you are with Student Accessibility Services, the determination of your part/full-time status may differ, please contact your faculty for more information.

Important Notes:
  • Some programs require full-time study. In some cases, this means students must register in and complete a full load of courses in each term of study. Others may require 80% of a full load of courses.
  • Scholarship recipients must check with the terms of their scholarship to determine the credit load required in each term of study.
  • Student Aid recipients and sponsored students must meet the requirements set by their source of funding, provincial or federal government, or agency.