Check application status

Check your offer of admission letter to ensure that you do not have outstanding conditions.

Copies of passports can be sent in by email. Please include your Student Number (found on your admission letter) with any documentation you send to the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

Once all documents are marked "Receive," your application status will be marked as complete. 

Once a decision has been made regarding the acceptance of your application, you will be notified via email. 

For an explanation of your status, refer to Application statuses and what they mean (pdf) 

Accept your offer

You can view your admission letter and print it in the Application Portal. We do not send you a printed copy of your letter.

To accept (or decline) your offer:

  • Log in to the Self-Service Centre (Fall 2021 and earlier) or Application Portal (Winter 2022 and later)
  • Select the link next to Decisions (e.g., Final Admission) to view your letter. 
  • Within your letter of offer, select the Enroll button at the top right of the screen. This link will open a form in which you can accept or decline your offer

There are two ways to verify if you have accepted or declined your offer:

  1. Select Summary next to the appropriate application. Scroll to the subsection Decisions, where your enrollment status will be noted as Accept, Decline, or will be blank.
  2. Select the decision (example, Final Admission). Within the decision letter scroll to the first sub-section, Admission. Your Acceptance of Offer Status will be noted as Accepted Offer, Declined Offer or Pending.

After you accept your offer

Here are some key tasks you can complete after you have accepted your offer.

Check outstanding conditions

Check your offer of admission letter – ensure that you do not have any outstanding conditions. Birth certificates or passports can be sent in by email

Please be sure to include your Student Number (found on your admission letter) with any documentation you send to the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

Activate your UM accounts

You need your UMnetID to use your UM e-mail, Wi-Fi and all UM online tools. To claim your UMnetID, you will need your student number, which you can find on your acceptance letter.

Claim your UMnet ID and activate your email account.

Update your personal information

If you need to update your mailing address, telephone number or any personal information, log in to Aurora Student to make these changes.

Apply for a study permit (International students only)

Don’t wait until it’s too late! Immigration processes take time. 

Submit official documents

We require official copies of transcripts after you are recommended for admission, after you receive a letter from us indicating you are provisionally admitted. 

If you are provisionally admitted, official transcripts, degree certificates and translations must come from the Main Records Office of the issuing institution in a sealed and endorsed (stamped across the back flap) envelope before final admission can be granted. We generally require official copies of your transcripts, degree certificates and/or translations within one month of your letter of offer.

All international transcripts must be accompanied by degree certificates that indicate that the degree has been awarded. 

Your transcripts, degree certificates, and all other documents listed on your admission letter must be submitted directly to our office before you register for courses. 

For more information, please review your decision letter located in your Self-Service Centre (Fall 2021 and earlier) or Application Portal (Winter 2022 and later).

Official University of Manitoba transcripts are not required. If you have access to your Aurora Student account you may upload a web transcript. If not, an Admissions Assistant will add a copy of your transcript to your file for you.

Send documents to:

Faculty of Graduate Studies
Room 500 University Centre
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Office: 204.474.9377  
Fax: 204.474.7553

Register for your courses

All graduate programs have specific registration instructions. Please check Aurora Student for information specific to your program of study and contact your program for registration instructions.

Your registration is not complete until fee payments are received or fee payment arrangements have been made in writing prior to the fee payment deadline dates. Once your program is approved, please follow departmental procedures to register.

New student registration

All graduate students must initially register in the term specified in their letter of acceptance. Any student not registering by the registration deadline for the term specified in their letter of offer will be required to re-apply for admission. 

In exceptional circumstances and with prior approval from the department/unit, a student may defer registration for up to one term following acceptance into the Faculty of Graduate Studies. In the case of international students, admission may be deferred, with prior approval from the department/unit, for up to one  year following acceptance.

Program approval

All programs must be approved by the head of the major department or unit or designate. Approval to take courses from other departments or units must be obtained from outside the department or unit.

Returning student registration


All students must re-register in all Fall, Winter and Summer terms of their program until a degree is obtained (with the exception of pre-Master's Students). Failure to re-register will result in the student being discontinued from their graduate program. 

A student who has been discontinued and would like to be considered for continuation in a program must apply for re-admission, which is not guaranteed.  The re-registration requirement does not apply to occasional students, visiting students, pre-master's students or students on an Exceptional or Parental Leave of Absence (please refer to "Leave of Absence," Section 8 of the Graduate Studies Academic Guide).

The notation "Discontinued Graduate Program" will be placed on the academic record of any graduate student who has failed to maintain continuous registration.

Progress report

The progress report must be completed at least annually and returned to the Faculty of Graduate Studies no later than June 1 of every year.  Failure to provide a progress report by June 1 will result in registration access being denied.

Continuing courses

For courses that are being taken by students enrolled in the Faculty of Graduate Studies and that continue beyond the normal academic tern, the instructor shall recommend that a mark classification of "CO" be used until such time as a final grade can be established. 

If the course is not completed by August 31, the student must re-register for the course(s). In the absence of an assigned mark of "CO," the student may receive a mark of F in that term.

You may also be interested in

Contact us

Faculty of Graduate Studies
Room 500 University Centre
65 Chancellors Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  Canada

Our office is open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.