Step 1 Review requirements and prepare your application

The application process will go more smoothly if you've reviewed all requirements and gathered all your materials before you begin. First, read through the content on this page to get familiar with the process.

Next, ensure you've met all admission requirements:

Finally, gather your application materials and make appropriate arrangements:

  • Gather your unofficial transcripts and other supporting documents
  • Gather any required test scores 
  • Make appropriate arrangements with your advisor, if applicable
  • Contact potential references, if applicable

Applications open up to 18 months prior to start date, unless otherwise noted. That is:

  • Fall applications open April 1 of the year prior to term start
  • Winter applications open July 1 of the year prior to term start
    Note: Winter 2026 applications will open September 1, 2024.
  • Summer applications open February 1 of the year prior to term start

For example, applications for Fall term 2024 will open on April 1, 2023.

Throughout this process, please contact your department if you have any questions.

Step 2 Start your online application

The application is split into different sections and asks you for your personal information, post- secondary education, a list of recommenders and more.

If you've already gathered required materials, the online application will take about 30 minutes to complete. For your security, you will be logged out after 30 minutes of inactivity. Make sure to save your progress before leaving your application. You can save and return to your application at any time using the login ID and password that you chose.

Education history

If you attended a college that is associated with a university, you should list the university in the education history. For example, if you attended Jawahar Engineering College, which is affiliated with Anna University, you should list Anna University in your education history.

Making changes to your application

If you haven’t submitted your application yet, you can change your email address by going to your Biographical Data page and selecting the "Change Email" link found under the Email Address section. If you have already submitted your application, go to your Student Portal, select your application, select application overview, scroll to the bottom and select "Change Email Address."

Once you submit your application, you are no longer able to make changes. If you have made an error on your application, please email with your correction(s). Please include your name as it appears on your application and your applicant ID with your request.

Step 3 Submit your recommender information

All letters of recommendation must be submitted directly to the university by the recommenders. You must formally request recommendations within the online application.

After you enter your recommender’s name and email on the online application, they must complete the recommendation using our online system. We will not accept or upload paper copies of recommendation letters. Please be aware that helping or submitting the recommendation letter on behalf of your recommender is considered fraud and will result in an unsuccessful application.

The referee process is a confidential process. All letters of recommendations are provided to the University of Manitoba in the strictest of confidence and will not be shared with the applicant. Participating in the drafting of your recommendation letter is discouraged. Helping write or submitting the recommendation letter on behalf of your recommender is considered fraud and will result in an unsuccessful application.

How to check or re-send a recommendation request

If your recommender is saying that they did not receive the recommendation request email, follow these steps:

  1. Login to the Student Portal and edit your recommendations:
    • If you have submitted, click on 'recommendations page' directly under your checklist
    • If you haven't submitted yet, edit your application and navigate to the 'Recommendations' section
  2. Select the Recommendation and ensure the email address is entered correctly
    • If the email address has been entered incorrectly, click 'Exclude' and then re-add the recommendation using the correct email.
    • If the email was entered correctly, please click 'Send Reminder' and then ask your recommender to check their junk/spam filter.  If the email has still not been received, please email  and will will email the recommender the link directly.

How to remove or add a recommender

If you need to remove one recommender and add another one, follow these steps:

  1. Login to the Student Portal and edit your recommendations:
    • If you have submitted, click on 'recommendation page' directly below your checklist.
    • If you haven't submitted yet, edit your application and navigate to the 'Recommendations' section.
  2. Select the recommendation and click 'Exclude' and select 'Ok'.
  3. Add the new recommender by clicking 'Add Recommender'.
Video: Tips for adding recommendations.

Step 4 Submit unofficial transcripts and other documents

Official documents are not required at the time of application. We prefer that you upload unofficial copies of transcripts to your online application for initial assessment purposes of your application. Please be aware that official documents will not be kept for future applications.

You must submit transcripts from every recognized, post-secondary institution you have attended, whether or not you earned a degree from the institution. This includes transcripts from an institution you attended on an exchange. However, copies of transcripts from University of Manitoba are not required.

You can continue to submit necessary documents after you have submitted your application and paid your application fee. Documents that you upload after submitting your application will be assessed in three to five business days. 

You will receive an email indicating your file is complete when all of your required documents have been received.

Transcripts in languages other than English

If the transcript is issued in a language other than English (and is not from a Canadian institution) you must arrange for the submission of official literal translations of all records. 

Other documents

Please check your program to see if you need to provide additional documents. In addition to your transcript and degree certificates, other supporting documentation may include:

  • reference letters
  • copy of your CV
  • statement of interest
  • writing sample(s)

All documents submitted in support of an application become the property of the University of Manitoba and may not be returned. This includes copies of the documents.

How to upload documents to your application

Please submit your documents as PDFs or JPEGs. We do not accept .zip or .rar, or any other type of compressed file formats.

If required, documents can be uploaded post-submission, as follows:

  • Log in to the Student Portal 
  • Select the appropriate submitted application. 
  • Under the section ‘Upload Materials’ select the appropriate material from the drop-down, choose your file from your computer and click ‘Upload’. Please note, it can take up to 15 minutes for your checklist to be marked as ‘Received’ for that item. Do not upload the item multiple times.
  • If the material you wish to upload is not in the list, it means a document has already been uploaded for that item. However, if the item is not present in your checklist, it may not be required for your application. Not all departments require CV’s, or a statement of intent. Review the unique requirements of each program here.
  • We do not accept evaluation service documents i.e. WES, ECE

After you are admitted to the faculty, you must submit a copy of either your passport (Canadian Citizens only) or your Permanent Resident Card.

Name changes and other differences on documentation must be supported with official evidence.

Step 5 Pay the application fee

You must pay $100 for each application you submit to the Faculty of Graduate Studies.

Additional application fees:

  • Physician Assistant Studies: $25
  • Preventive Dental Sciences (Orthodontics): $50

The application fee is non-refundable. You are responsible for ensuring that all required documentation and fees are submitted in time to meet application deadlines.

Your application to the university will be evaluated only after we have received your payment.

How to pay

You can pay your application fee either online using Visa or MasterCard (this includes Visa/MasterCard debit or gift cards) or by submitting a cheque, money order or paying through Convera or To pay via Credit Card:

  • Login to your Student Portal and select the appropriate submitted application. Please note, payment can only be made on submitted applications
  • Select "Submit Payment for..."
  • Complete the information as required, then select "Submit Payment"

To pay by cheque, money order, Convera or 
After you submit your application, information regarding payment methods will be available in your Student Portal. Additionally, you will receive an email containing full details on how to pay. Please allow up to two business days for receipt of this email. 

Pay using Convera (formerly GlobalPay)

Please include your email address; Applicant ID; full name as it appears on your application and indicate 'Application Fee' to avoid any delays in applying your payment. Please note it can take up to five business days for the University to receive your payment.

Pay using

If you live outside of Canada and your credit card payment is unsuccessful

If your payment is unsuccessful (i.e., repeatedly declined, you receive an error code, etc.) it may be that you are in a country from which payments are restricted.

The list of restricted payment countries is not determined at our discretion, but is based on regulatory restrictions put in place by our banking partners and generally based on government legislation. As such, these are restrictions that Canadian payment processors must adhere to.

If your credit card details have been entered correctly, and you have confirmed that your credit card is active and has sufficient funds available, then it is possible that due to your country of residence you are unable to complete your payment via credit card. In this case, you will need to send a cheque or money order to pay your application fee.


Avoid application fraud or misconduct

If you commit application fraud or misconduct, your University of Manitoba acceptance and registration may be withdrawn and you may be disqualified from consideration, not only in the year of application, but also in all subsequent sessions. If discovered in a subsequent session it may result in dismissal from the university. 

Application fraud or misconduct includes, but is not limited to, the following:

  • Failure to declare attendance at another post-secondary institution
  • Presenting falsified academic documentation or causing or encouraging another person to falsify records through translation or data changes
  • Presenting falsified personal documentation, e.g. using a false name, date of birth, country of origin, etc.
  • Presenting falsified or fictitious reference documentation
  • Cheating on or having another person write a standardized entry exam such as TOEFL, MCAT, LSAT, DAT, GMAT or CAEL
  • Presenting another person's standardized test score as one's own to falsify a test result
  • Failure to report suspensions from another post-secondary institution

Next steps

Contact us

Faculty of Graduate Studies
Room 500 University Centre
65 Chancellors Circle
University of Manitoba  (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  Canada

Our office is open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.