News for General Studies students
Please review the following important details regarding the grading accommodations:
It is optional for students to select a grade to be excluded. Students are not required to exclude any grade from their GPA; they can choose to keep their grades in their GPA calculation.
The option to exclude a grade applies to courses taken in Fall 2020, Winter 2021, or the Fall 2020/Winter 2021 spanned term, specifically:
- One (1) 3 credit hour course in the Fall 2020 term and one (1) 3 credit hour course in the Winter 2021 term, OR
- One (1) 6 credit hour Fall 2020/Winter 2021 term spanned course
If you are continuing in courses for the Winter 2021 term, you can wait until the end of Winter term to make your selection. You will have until end of day on May 31 (11:59 p.m.) to make your final decision.
Your Grading Accommodation selection is not reversible. All selections are final and become a part of the official transcript issued by the University of Manitoba.
The widget to make your selection in UM Learn will be open from:
January 25 to March 1 (11:59 p.m.), and then again from May 3 (9:00 am) to May 31 (11:59 p.m.). All times are CST.
Excluded grades will:
- Be visible on your transcript
- Count in your credit hour load for UM bursary and scholarships
- Meet progression and prerequisites, if minimum grade is achieved
- Be used to calculate your AGPA for admission to programs. Excluding a grade will not increase the GPA used for admission
- Not be used in the calculation for GPA based performance requirements, such as program progression, probation, suspension, and requirements to withdraw.
Determine which category is right for you.
How it works
Extended Education General Studies students can register for a course from most faculties provided prerequisite requirements have been met. Courses in professional faculties, colleges and schools require special permission prior to registration. Courses are available in the Fall, Winter and Summer terms and are offered on campus or online.
Apply for admission to the Division of Extended Education
Choose from three categories: Auditing, Special or Visiting Student
Register for courses with Aurora
Claim your accounts and get your ID
Find your textbooks
Buy your books
Pay for courses
Related references to review
UM Undergraduate Calendar
Information about General Studies, courses, regulations and procedures
Extended Education Applicant Information Bulletin
Important dates and deadlines
Aurora PIN not working
Call the Registrar’s Office at 204-474-9420.
UM Academic Policies
Repeated Course Policy, Grade Point Average Policy, Voluntary Withdrawal (VW) Policy, Authorized Withdrawal (AW) Policy
Limited Access Policy
Definitions and terms