diverse group of students in in lecture hall getting ready for class

News for General Studies students

Please review the following important details regarding the grading accommodations:

It is optional for students to select a grade to be excluded. Students are not required to exclude any grade from their GPA; they can choose to keep their grades in their GPA calculation.
The option to exclude a grade applies to courses taken in Fall 2020, Winter 2021, or the Fall 2020/Winter 2021 spanned term, specifically:

  • One (1) 3 credit hour course in the Fall 2020 term and one (1) 3 credit hour course in the Winter 2021 term, OR
  • One (1) 6 credit hour Fall 2020/Winter 2021 term spanned course

If you are continuing in courses for the Winter 2021 term, you can wait until the end of Winter term to make your selection. You will have until end of day on May 31 (11:59 p.m.) to make your final decision.

Your Grading Accommodation selection is not reversible. All selections are final and become a part of the official transcript issued by the University of Manitoba.

The widget to make your selection in UM Learn will be open from:
January 25 to March 1 (11:59 p.m.), and then again from May 3 (9:00 am) to May 31 (11:59 p.m.). All times are CST.

Excluded grades will:

  • Be visible on your transcript
  • Count in your credit hour load for UM bursary and scholarships
  • Meet progression and prerequisites, if minimum grade is achieved
  • Be used to calculate your AGPA for admission to programs. Excluding a grade will not increase the GPA used for admission
  • Not be used in the calculation for GPA based performance requirements, such as program progression, probation, suspension, and requirements to withdraw.

Student categories

Determine which category is right for you.

  • row of middle aged diverse learners

    Special students

    Special students are those taking courses for professional development or personal learning, students with a degree taking a few courses to satisfy entry requirements to a faculty, students who have completed previous university/college course work and those wanting to increase their GPA for admission to a faculty, college or school.

    Special students pay the application fee and provide all official transcripts from external institutions attended. If born outside Canada and now a permanent resident or Canadian citizen, you are required to provide proof of status in Canada. If English is not your first language, you are required to provide English Language Proficiency results.

  • diverse group of university students casually chatting

    Visiting students

    Visiting Students are those enrolled at another institution but wanting to apply credit for UM courses to their home institution.

    Visiting Students submit a Letter of Permission from their home institution to the University of Manitoba Admissions Office. You are required to pay the application fee but are not required to provide transcripts.

  • hand and pen on desk doing school work

    Auditing students

    Auditing students want to take courses for personal or professional interest.

    Written consent from the instructor is required and must be submitted to the General Studies student advisor who will manually register on your behalf. Tuition fees are reduced. All other fees apply.

  • older adult woman soing work on a computer

    Senior students

    Older adults who are 65 years by Sept. 1 (Fall term), Jan. 1 (Winter term), or May 1 (Summer term) and who are Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents will not pay application or tuition fees. Proof of age and citizenship/residence status and English language proficiency may be required.

    Seniors can apply to General Studies as a Special Student to take course(s) for credit or as an Auditing Student to take courses for personal interest only.

How it works

Extended Education General Studies students can register for a course from most faculties provided prerequisite requirements have been met. Courses in professional faculties, colleges and schools require special permission prior to registration. Courses are available in the Fall, Winter and Summer terms and are offered on campus or online.

Apply for admission to the Division of Extended Education

Related references to review

UM Undergraduate Calendar
Information about General Studies, courses, regulations and procedures

Extended Education Applicant Information Bulletin

Important dates and deadlines


Aurora PIN not working
Call the Registrar’s Office at 204-474-9420.

Academic integrity

UM Academic Policies
Repeated Course Policy, Grade Point Average Policy, Voluntary Withdrawal (VW) Policy, Authorized Withdrawal (AW) Policy

Limited Access Policy

Definitions and terms

Consult a General Studies advisor

Karen Nickerson

Extended Education
185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada


Michelle Kidd

Extended Education
185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada


Request more information

If you have questions about this or any other programs and courses we offer, please use this form to let us know.

Contact us

Extended Education
185 Extended Education Complex
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada

Toll free: 1-888-216-7011 ext. 8800