Change your personal information
For important information and updates, ensure your Aurora account contact information is up-to-date. It is your responsibility! There are several ways to change contact information such as email, postal addresses and name changes at the UM.
Updating your residency status
Residency Change deadlines
Fall 2023 Term Residency updates
Winter 2024 Term Residency updates
Permanent Residents and Refugees/Protected Persons
If you have obtained Canadian Citizenship, are a Permanent Resident or have Refugee/Protected Persons Status, you are eligible for domestic tuition rates.
To ensure you have been assessed the correct fees, you must present suitable documentation to the Registrar’s Office and request a change of citizenship status. Documentation must be presented prior to the Revision Deadline for the term of study in order to affect your status and fee assessment in that term.
You can update your residency status by login into your Aurora account:
- Login to Aurora.
- Select 'Personal Information.
- Select 'Change Residency Status'.
- From here, follow the steps on the screen and have the required documentation ready to upload (see below for examples).
Documents Required for Updating Residency Status
|Permanent Residency||Confirmation of status change from Service Canada, Landing Document, or Permanent Residence Card|
|Refugee/Protected Person Status||Notice of Decision|
|Canadian Citizenship||Citizenship Certificate or Citizenship Card|
|Minnesota Reciprocity||Tax return for the previous year, one applicable piece of identification|
If you submit your Change of Residency request AFTER the registration revision deadline, your tuition fees will still be charged at the International Rate until the next term of study. Review our Important Dates and Deadlines page for more information on the revision period dates.
Change contact information
You can update/make changes to your personal information through Aurora.
To update your address or phone number follow the steps below:
- Log in to Aurora.
- Select 'Personal Information'.
- Select 'View/Update Address and Phone'.
- At the bottom of the page, select 'Update Addresses and Phones'
- From here follow the options available on-screen to add or remove an address or phone number.
To update personal email address, follow these steps:
- Log in to Aurora.
- Select 'Personal Information'.
- Select 'View/update Email Addresses'
- At the bottom of the page, select 'Update Email Addresses'
- From here follow the options on-page to add or remove an email address.
Preferred name changes
At the UM, students are primarily known to staff and professors by their preferred or chosen name. if you want to be known by your preferred name, you must designate it through your aurora account.
To designate your Preferred name follow the steps below:
- Log in to Aurora:
- Select the Personal Information tab.
- Enter your preferred name and save. Changes in Aurora will be immediate.
- Change your ID:
- The next day, you can get an updated Photo ID card using your preferred name.
- Update your computer account:
- You can update your computer account by submitting a service request to the IST Help Desk.
About legal name and gender designation
Legal name change
If you have legally changed your name since you first applied to university, you must submit a request for a change of legal name to the Registrar’s Office.
The university uses your full legal name on its records, transcripts, and on graduation documents. Abbreviated or anglicized names should not be used unless they have been legalized with documentation.
If your legal name changed after graduation and you would like to order a replacement parchment, please visit our Proof of Graduation page for instructions.
Currently, only three sex designation options, M, F, and Non-binary (which include Two-spirited, Trans, Transgender, and/or Intersex) are available within the Aurora system and are collected and recorded for statistical purposes only.
University records require one of these binary choices for statistical purposes and to comply with provincial reporting requirements. This information is not disclosed on transcripts, diplomas or class lists.
If you are born outside of Manitoba, you must contact your province or country of birth to legally change your biographical information.
Updating legal name and gender designation
The process for changes of name will depend on whether you have access to your Aurora Account. If you have access to Aurora, you will submit this request on Aurora. If you do not have access to Aurora, you will be required to fill out the PDF request form and send in the request by email.
- Login to your Aurora account
- If you do not have access to Aurora, you will need to complete and send in the Legal Name and/or Gender Designation Change Form (PDF)
- Select 'Personal Information'
- Select 'Name Change'
- From here, follow the directions on the screen.
- You will be required to upload documentation as a part of your request.
- Fill out the Legal Name and/or Gender Designation Change Form.
- Submit the form with all the required documentation by email to Registrar.Office@umanitoba.ca.
- (if you are emailing from a personal email, we require that you also include a copy of your government-issued photo ID).
Other things to consider
While the UM allows students to change portions of their biographical information on their student record. It's important to be aware of the implications of these changes:
Student ID card
Student ID cards are often used to verify identity at examinations and other University services. It is recommended that you change your name and photo on your student ID, by submitting your request for a new photo ID Card.
You can explore options for housing accommodations with a Residence Life Coordinator to find the best fit for your specific needs, contact the student residences office to book an appointment.
If you would like to update your information held at their office, send an email to the student residences office with the changes you want made to your record.