The Student ID card is issued when you first attend UM and is permanent throughout your stay here.

  • The UM Student ID card is your library card.
  • You'll be asked to show it during examinations.
  • They'll ask for it when you pay for or use the athletic facility.
  • You need it to purchase a food service meal plan.
  • You'll need it to validate your Winnipeg Transit U-Pass.
  • You'll need to use it as a swipe card on certain doors.

ID cards for new students

If you are a new student for the Fall session you can obtain your Student ID starting May 1.

If you are a new student for the Winter session you can obtain your Student ID starting Nov. 5.

You are encouraged to obtain your card during the summer when waiting times are shorter. You do not need a fee payment receipt to indicate you’ve registered. Current photo identification is required to receive your Student ID card. Here is a list of acceptable identification:

  • Métis citizenship card
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status
  • Driver’s license
  • Passport
  • Firearms license
  • Permanent resident card
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • International students should bring a passport and study permit

Returning students: The student ID card you received the first time you registered is valid for your use as long as you are a student. Your registration is checked by computer when your card is passed through an ID card reader, so it is not necessary to renew or reactivate your ID card each year.

ID centre locations and hours

Fort Garry campus

There are two ID centres on the Fort Garry campus - locations and operating hours are:

Registrar's Office - CLOSED, until further notice.
400 UMSU University Centre
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.

Extended Education Student & Instructor Services - CLOSED, until further notice
185 Extended Education Complex
Monday to Friday
8:30 a.m. to 4:15 p.m.

Bannatyne campus ID centre

Neil John MacLean Health Sciences Library - CLOSED, until further notice.
Brodie Centre
Fall/Winter hours: Monday to Friday
8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Summer hours: Monday to Friday
8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.

During the Fall/Winter hours, only those who already have a swipe-enabled card can enter the library after 6 p.m. The library closes at 5 p.m. in the summer.

During holidays the library may be closed or will have shortened hours. The ID centre will close one hour before the Library's scheduled closing time. Please see the Neil John MacLean Health Sciences Library website for holiday hours and closures.

Students: Distance and online education, evening and part-time

If you are a distance and online education, evening or part-time student you will also need a student ID card.

Visit an ID centre, or if you are unable to access one of these locations during available times, you can complete an ID Card Request form (PDF).

Send the form, along with a picture, to the Registrar's Office. If you write your address on the form, your card will be mailed to you.

Replacement cards

If your Student ID card is lost or stolen, or you change your name, you should get a new ID card at one of the locations noted above. Please complete this form: Request for replacement ID card (PDF).

There is a $22.50 fee for a replacement card regardless of the reason for loss, except in cases where loss was reported to the Winnipeg Police Service and a police incident number is given to the ID centre. Old cards which deteriorate over time and can’t be used will be replaced free of charge.

ID card and photocopy service

The magnetic coding on your Student ID card can be "loaded" with a sum of money so that you can use the card at library photocopying machines or at library microform machines.

Your student ID card can be encoded with a cash amount at the cash card manager units in the Elizabeth Dafoe Library, the Albert D. Cohen Management Library, the D.S. Woods Education Library, the Sciences and Technology Library, and the Neil John Maclean Health Sciences Library.

ID card and meal plans

Many UM students and staff have meal plans. You can swipe your ID card to make meal plan purchases. If you have any problems using your ID card for this purpose, please contact the Meal Plan coordinator at 204-474-7048, or visit Pembina Hall, Rm. 207.