If you are facing unexpected financial distress, or have had a significant change in your financial situation, consider accessing the RFHS emergency assistance student bursary program (more information in the tab below) or the UMSU Hardship Fund.
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences (RFHS) Emergency Assistance Student Bursary Program
The Rady Faculty of Health Sciences (RFHS) Emergency Assistance Student Bursary Program provides short-term assistance to students who encounter unanticipated financial need within the five (5) colleges of the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences or a program of the Rady Faculty (e.g. Interdisciplinary Health Program).
RFHS Emergency Bursary funds related to the financial impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic are no longer available.
RFHS is still accepting applications related to other emergent matters faced by Rady Faculty students.
Please submit a completed application form for consideration.
Terms and Conditions:
- In order to be considered for an Emergency Assistance Student Bursary, a student must:
- Be enrolled full time within one of the five (5) colleges of the RFHS or a program of the RFHS*.
- Demonstrate need as outlined on the RFHS Emergency Assistance Student Bursary application form. As a discretionary bursary, the interpretation of need and therefore the approval in all aspects will rest with the selection committee.
- Demonstrate that the need is acute in nature. The bursary will not continue to provide ongoing support to individuals over extended periods. Students are expected to locate alternate support mechanisms following approval of any bursary.
- Provide any supporting documentation outlines on the application form or as otherwise requested by the selection committee.
- If a student has met the terms and conditions, the selection committee approves the application, and there are available funds, the bursary will be provided.
- Bursaries are subject to available funding in any given fiscal year. Total funding and the date(s) of release of payment(s) is at the discretion of the selection committee.
- Bursaries do not need to be re-paid, subject to section 5. However, should a student suspend, leave their studies or otherwise be withdrawn from his/her program within the RFHS, any approved but not-yet released bursary amounts will cease immediately.
- The RFHS reserves the right to withdraw any awarded bursary amount and/or seek repayment of any bursary amounts provided to the student, should a student be found to have misled the selection committee regarding any aspect of their eligibility or their application.A student may apply for additional Emergency Assistance Student Bursaries, however, previous approvals and their circumstances, will be taken into consideration by the selection committee in determining approval or refusal.
The selection committee shall be comprised of the Dean Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, the Dean of the college of attendance of the applicant, and the Director of Finance Rady Faculty of Health Sciences.
Payment to Student:
Following confirmation of a bursary award by the selection committee, the student will receive payment in a manner that is determined to meet the circumstances for the assistance request.