- Karen Cook
News and storiesView more news and stories
Master’s student takes home the win in UM’s 3MT and MT180 competitions
Faculty of Arts, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, Students
Dentistry students present studies at Research Day
Faculty of Graduate Studies, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
Watch the 3MT Western Regionals and vote for UM challenger Nolan De Leon
Alumni, Faculty of Graduate Studies, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, Students, UM Today
What we offer
Biomedical Youth Program
The Biomedical Youth Program (BYP) is science enrichment program that offers events and activities designed to bring students closer to the University experience.
BYP offers early-learning programming for children in Grades 1 to 3; after-school science programs for kids in Grades 4 to 12; student mentors to help with science fair projects; mobile labs that deliver hands-on activities to First Nations communities; and professional development workshops and seminars for Manitoba Science Teachers. All of these resources are provided at no charge.
Read more about the Biomedical Youth Program in UM Today.
Biomedical Youth Program (BYP) volunteers help enrich the lives of underserved students from Kindergarten to Grade 12, especially in the inner city, who may need additional help and guidance at home or school.
BYP offers a wide variety of opportunities for volunteers, including:
- Saturday Science Club
- Mentoring students for science projects or homework clubs
- Annual Winnipeg School Division Science Fair - as a judge or activity leader
- Annual Biomedical Youth Summer Camp - as activity or group leaders
- School group science activities - engaging high school students in hands-on biotechnology experiments and prepping them for university
To become a volunteer with the Biomedical Youth Program, please complete the BYP volunteer online registration form.
Thank you for considering a gift to the Biomedical Youth Program (BYP) at the University of Manitoba. Your gift to the BYP can be designated to a number of high priority programs. Contact us to learn more about the many ways you can make a difference.
There are a number of ways you can donate - learn more by visiting https://umanitoba.ca/community/giving.
The Biomedical Youth Summer Camp is an annual outreach initiative of the BYP that is held at the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Manitoba Bannatyne campus.
Dates: The camp is usually held in the 3rd week of July of each year.
Where: University of Manitoba Bannatyne Campus
Cost: Free of charge to students from Grades 5-12 who are interested in science
Inner City Science Centre
Niji Mahkwa elementary school is home to the high-technology science laboratories of the Inner-City Science Centre, bringing state-of-the-art science resources directly to the community. The centre is part of a community-based collaboration between the Winnipeg School Division, Manitoba Education, the Winnipeg Foundation, and the Max Rady College of Medicine at the University of Manitoba.
Read more about the Inner City Science Centre in UM Today.
To book the Inner City Science Centre, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Winnipeg School Division Annual Science Fair
The Winnipeg Schools’ Science Fair brings hundreds of Grade 4-12 participants to UM's Bannatyne campus every year. More than 400 students proudly present their scientific skills and await judging from members of the Faculty of Health Sciences and industry experts. Students are encouraged to identify, plan and solve a problem—or sets of problems—using science inquiry from one of the nine project categories, which include: automotive and engineering; biology; chemistry; computer and information technology; consumer science; earth and environmental science; physics and mathematics; social science; and sustainable development and innovation.
Read more about the annual science fair in UM Today.
Habitat for Humanity
Social responsibility and accountability are core values for Rady Faculty of Health Sciences’ learners, faculty and staff. We recognize that safe, affordable housing leads to positive outcomes, including improved health and well-being, education success and self-esteem. That's why Rady Faculty has taken part in four Habitat for Humanity builds since 2013, volunteering time and raising money, as well as contributing build space on our Bannatyne campus.
Read about our most recent build in UM Today.
Social accountability committee leadership
Co-chairs: Ian Whetter and Christine Ateah; Administrative support: Brenda Peterson
University of Manitoba representatives
Julie Pfeffer and Nader Shaker (student rep)
Interdisciplinary Health Program
Parneet Kaur Sabhi (student rep)
Ian Whetter and Cathy Tat (student rep)
Tyla Turman and Sheryl Demetrioff (student rep)
Dana Turcotte and Cole Janke (student rep)
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
Dr. Christine Ateah, Karen Cook, Margaret Lavallee, Elders
Lisa Diamond-Burchuk and Student Rep Sara DePottie (student rep)
Ricardo Soriano (Accreditation unit representative) / Marcia Langhan
Uzoma Asagwara, Queer People of Colour (QPOC)
Michael Champagne, Aboriginal Youth Opportunities (AYO)
Shohan Illsley, Manitoba Harm Reduction Network (MHRN)
Jodie Jephcote, Independent Living Resource Centre (ILRC)
Allen Mankewich, Independent Living Resource Centre (ILRC)
Felicien Rubayita, Manitoba Interfaith Immigration Counci (MIIC)
Janet Trans, Trans Manitoba
Jenna Wirch, Aboriginal Youth Opportunities (AYO)
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences is proud to partner with organizations across the city and beyond, including the groups listed below.
- Aboriginal Health & Wellness Centre
- Agape Table
- B & L Resources for Children, Youth and Families
- Bear Clan Patrol
- Biomedical Youth Program (BYP)
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Winnipeg Inc.
- BridgeCare Clinic
- Broadway Neighbourhood Centre
- Canadian Longitudinal Study on Aging (CLSA)
- Canadian Red Cross
- Child Protection Centre (Health Sciences Centre)
- Child and Family Services
- Children's Hospital
- Community Financial Counselling Services
- Community Public Health
- Deer Lodge
- Department of Families, South Winnipeg
- Ethio-Canadian Cultural Academy
- Extendicare Vista Park Lodge
- Fort Garry Women’s Centre
- Good Neighbours Active Living Centre Inc.
- Government of Manitoba, Disabilities Issues Office
- Habitat for Humanity
- Healthy Child Manitoba
- House of Peace
- Immaculate Heart of Mary School
- Immigrant and Refugee Community Organization of Manitoba (IRCOM)
- Independent Living Resource Centre
- Jacob Penner Park
- Klinic Community Health
- Let’s Talk Science
- Louis Riel School Division
- Manitoba Centre for Health Policy
- Manitoba Federation of Labour Occupational Health Centre (OHC)
- Manitoba Harm Reduction Network (the 595)
- Manitoba Interfaith Immigration Council Inc. (MIIC)
- Misericordia Health Centre
- Mosaic Newcomer Family Resource Centre
- Mount Carmel Clinic
- National Aboriginal Diabetes Association
- Newcomers Employment and Education Development Services Inc. (NEEDS)
- Niji Mahkwa
- Nine Circles Community Health Centre
- Opikihiwawin, New Directions
- Pan Am Place
- Pathways to Education
- Rainbow Resource Centre
- River East Personal Care Home
- Riverview Health Centre
- Rossbrook House
- Salvation Army
- Sex Workers of Winnipeg Action Coalition
- Sexuality Education Resource Centre (SERC)
- Siloam Mission
- Special Olympics
- Spence Neighbourhood Association
- St Matthews Maryland Community Ministry
- Sunshine House
- Teen Talk
- The Birth Centre
- The Salvation Army
- Transcona Council for Seniors Inc.
- Two-Spirited People of Manitoba Inc.
- University of Manitoba, Disabilities Studies Office
- WISH Clinic
- West Broadway Community Services
- West Broadway Youth Outreach
- West End Women’s Resource Centre
- Winnipeg Aboriginal Sports Association
- Winnipeg Harvest
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, Healthy Sexuality & Harm Reduction
- Winnipeg Repair Education and Cycling Hub (WRENCH)
- Winnipeg School Division 1
- Winnipeg School Division 2
- Wolseley Family Place
- Women's Correctional Centre
Connect with us
Community Engagement Office
S100-750 Bannatyne Avenue
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3E 0W3 Canada