Father holding his little boy

The Family Centre is currently closed due to COVID-19. Please visit our faculty COVID-19 page for the latest updates.

I'm looking for

About the Centre

The Rady Faculty of Health Sciences Family Centre is an evolving resource and support service connecting students and staff managing changes in their life with resources and services including:

  • parent/child drop-in (postponed due to Covid)
  • parent discussion group (periodic sessions held virtually)
  • resource materials (available from webpage only)
  • public use computer to register for Maternity Leave, EI Benefits, Manitoba Child Care Registry, etc. (unavailable at this time due to Covid)

We’re listening and want to hear from you – please let us know of any resources or services you would like to see on our webpage and in the Rady Faculty of Health Sciences Family Centre. Our goal is to provide you with information and services you need in a quick and direct way.

Email your questions, requests or feedback to FamilyCentre@umanitoba.ca.

We look forward to welcoming you soon.


Experiencing a life change on top of everything else you’re trying to balance can be challenging, but you don’t have to do it alone.

The information contained on this website and in any links to third party sites is provided on an “as is” basis and is offered for general information only.  The reader must accept full responsibility for the use of this information. 

There is no guarantee about the accuracy, applicability, fitness or completeness of the information found on this website or in any links to third party sites. Such information is provided without warranty of any kind.

The University of Manitoba and its agents, employees and students disclaim responsibility to any party for any loss or damage of any kind that may arise directly or indirectly as a result of the use of or reliance on the information contained in this website, including in any linked third party sites.

supports for Life changes

Change your personal information at UM

If you have a preferred name change, legal name, gender designation change, or address change you will need to notify the university.

Students: full details are available on the Registrars’ Office website.

Faculty and staff: send an email to HRIS@umanitoba.ca with the name related or gender designation change you wish to make and HR staff will guide you through the process.

Employees can self-update an address change through the employee self-service portal via JUMP.

Updating UM eligible staff benefits

Faculty and staff can update their benefits to add or remove a spouse through SharePoint. You may also use SharePoint to add a new dependent.

For more information, contact your staff benefits generalist to discuss any questions regarding your benefit and insurance coverage.

UM counselling services

Counselling is available for students, faculty and staff confronted with challenges of all kinds.

Visit the Student Counselling Centre’s webpage to learn more about available services:

Faculty and staff
The University of Manitoba Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) is a voluntary and confidential counselling service for all University of Manitoba staff and their families. Visit the EAP employee and family assistance program page.

Additional resources

supports for Family planning

supports for Prenatal or postpartum

supports for Parenting

Supports for Child care

Supports for Senior care

supports for Death

UM spouse, dependent, employee or retiree

Spouses or eligible dependents
If a spouse or eligible dependent passes away, you will need to contact the Staff Benefits Office. Staff Benefits will update the records and arrange for spousal/dependent life claims, if applicable.

If an employee passes away, the department will need to contact the Staff Benefits Office, who will check if any benefits are payable.

The department of the employee will need to complete a cessation form.

If a retiree passes away, the family will need to contact the Staff Benefits Office, who will check if any benefits are payable.

The staff benefits office can be reached at benefits@umanitoba.ca


UM compassionate care or bereavement leave

University Governance capture compassionate care or bereavement leaves within the leave of absence governing document. There you will find information on qualifying criteria and the benefits UM staff are entitled to.

Additional resources


  • Gender inclusive bathrooms

    Bannatyne campus offers neutral bathroom facilities in the following locations:

    • Apotex Centre, room 132 (first floor)
    • Basic Medical Sciences, 6th floor near elevator
    • Chown Building, room A284 (second floor) room 396 (third floor) and room 496 (fourth floor)
    • Clinical Learning and Simulation Facility (CLSF) rooms 34C, 35C and 36J
    • College of Rehabilitation Sciences, second floor room R225
    • Dr. Gerald Niznick College of Dentistry, room D235K
    • Joe Doupe Recreation Centre
    • Medical Services Building, basement tunnel
    • Neil John MacLean Library, rooms 353 and 355
  • Change tables

    Bannatyne campus offers change tables in the following locations:

    • Apotex Building, rooms 102 and 109 (first floor)
    • Brodie Centre, rooms 171, 172 (first floor) and 275 and 276 (second floor)
    • Clinical Learning and Simulation Facility (CLSF) rooms 34C, 35C and 36J
    • Dr. Gerald Niznick College of Dentistry, room D127
    • Medical Services Building, rooms 208A and 209A (second floor)
    • Neil John MacLean Library, room 353

Contact us

Family Centre
Room 280, Brodie Centre
727 McDermot Avenue
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, MB R3T 5V6 Canada