Information for employers
The Career Development Centre is your entry point to the Asper School of Business and your gateway to the best employees for your organization. We can fast track your connection to the employees you're looking for. Develop your profile at the Asper School as an employer of choice and give yourself an edge in the competitive business of recruiting top talent.
The Asper Career Development Centre can assist:
- Posting your career opportunities for full time, part time, summer
- Hire a coop student
- Recruit Bachelor of Commerce, MBA, MFin and MSc students and alumni
- Connect to the Asper community through information sessions, career fairs and recruitment events
We've gone virtual!
The University of Manitoba has cancelled all on-campus in person events and recruitment activities through 2021. However, we know recruitment is ongoing. Our team is committed to supporting your efforts in hiring Asper School of Business students and alumni as efficiently as possible.
Our team is here to help you fulfill your hiring needs in 2021 by leveraging virtual/online tactics that will connect you with the best candidates.
- Post a co-op/summer/full time position on the Asper Career Portal. Please indicate within the job description if the successful candidate will be expected to work from home or through an alternative arrangement as directed by public health authorities.
- Interviews and meetings can continue in compliance with your company’s policies and scheduling needs. While the University of Manitoba has decided to postpone all in-person events through 2021, we have full virtual capability to offer expanded client services for on-campus recruitment, including:
- Online video interviews via Skype, Zoom, or other platforms
- Virtual info sessions for unlimited participants anywhere in the world
- Virtual workshops and career panels
- Ten Thousand Coffees, to connect for coffee chats online with students seeking mentorship and coaching in your professional field
Services for employers
Our dedicated staff are here to help maximize your recruitment efforts and raise awareness of your employer brand.
Post a job
Post a co-op/summer/full time position on the Asper Career Portal. Please indicate within the job description if the successful candidate will be expected to work from home or through an alternative arrangement as directed by public health authorities.
The Career Development Centre can provide assistance with scheduling and coordination of interviews. On-campus interviews have been cancelled at the University of Manitoba through 2021. We encourage you to conduct virtual interviews or if conducting in person interviews to follow public health directives.
Please contact a Career Consultant
Ph: (204) 474-6549
Ph: (204) 474-7103
Book an information session
The Career Development Centre provides assistance with scheduling, coordination and promotion of pre-recruitment information sessions and wine & cheese events. This is an excellent opportunity for you to showcase your organization and meet with prospective candidates in a more relaxed setting.
Please contact our Career Consultants:
Ph: (204) 474-6549 or (204) 474-7103
Information sessions can also be coordinated through the Asper Career Portal.
Hire a coop student
The Asper School of Business Co-operative Education Program is one of the University of Manitoba’s largest co-op programs and is CEWIL Canada and AACSB accredited. By joining the Asper Co-op Program, employers will have an opportunity to mentor students’ developing careers and to promote their corporate image by establishing a reputation as an employer of choice.
Stay up to date with the latest CDC news including salary information, upcoming events, labour market trends and interviews with industry partners.
Register on the Asper Career Portal to receive the CDC employer newsletter.
View our latest edition here.
In line with the Canadian Association of Career Educators and Employers (CACEE)’s Guide to Ethical Recruitment, we request that employers, Asper School of Business students, alumni and other users of our services comply with the following guidelines for all recruitment and employment-related activities on campus.
Third party recruiters
- Candidates' resumes must not be held in the files of the third party recruiter for later referral to other positions unless authorized by the candidate
- Organizations advertising third party job posting websites are not permitted
We do not allow recruitment for 100% commission-based positions unless there is a minimum wage.
All postings for sales, commission-based or franchise opportunities must provide the following details (if applicable to the position):
- Detailed descriptions of the job responsibilities
- Compensation arrangements (i.e. how income will be calculated). Potential earnings and guaranteed earnings must be clearly distinguished in the posting
- Lengths of required training and any costs associated with the training
- Any applicable start-up costs (franchise fee, demo kit costs, travel/accommodation costs, etc.)
- Any financial obligations or penalties if the students/graduate chooses to leave the position
Internships can be great opportunities for students to gain meaningful experience and receive valuable hands-on training. As a member of CACEE, we share CACEE’s position on unpaid internships and would only promote unpaid internships that meet the following criteria:
- The training is similar to field-specific or applied training that can be found at a post-secondary institution
- The training is for the benefit of the intern
- The organization providing the training derives little, if any, benefit from the activity of the intern while he or she is being trained
- The intern does not displace employees of the organization providing the training
- The intern is not accorded a right to become an employee of the organization providing the training
- It must be clearly stated within the posting that the position is an unpaid internship
- The skills and/or experience gained must be transferable to other employment settings
- There are clearly defined and articulated learning outcomes for the intern to realize by the conclusion of the internship
- Regular supervision is given by a professional pertinent to the internship and feedback is shared with the student on a regular or ongoing basis
- Internships must be for a defined period of time
On-campus recruitment activities booking
- On-site recruitment activities must be reserved through the Asper School of Business Career Development Centre at least 3 business days in advance
- Exhibitors must submit detailed descriptions of the opportunities they’re recruiting for in order to reserve a booking
- The Career Development Centre reserves the right to screen and to reject bookings that do not meet our recruitment guidelines
- Exhibitors must comply with all applicable fire, health, safety and building code regulations while on-campus
- Exhibitors shall occupy and use only the display space assigned by the Asper School of Business Career Development Centre on the dates and times that have been reserved
Tax incentives and wage subsidies
Programs that support hiring of Asper students.
Government of Canada’s Student Work Placement Program (SWPP)
Thinking of hiring a student? Access the Government of Canada's Student Work Placement Program (SWPP) for your next student hire!
Through the Student Work Placement program, employers can apply for $5,000-$7,000 in wage subsidies to help them hire post-secondary students across Canada.
Student eligibility assessment
The student is:
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident or a protected person defined by the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
- Registered as a full-time student in a post-secondary institution program
- Not an international student requiring (or on) a work permit
- Not an immediate family member of the employer
Remember that final decisions lie with the SWPP funding partners. This is to provide employers with a guideline only.
Co-op Students Hiring Incentive (COS-HI)
The Co-op Students Hiring Incentive is designed to provide work experience for students through co-operative education work placements. Employers who hire a student as part of a registered co-operative education program can claim 15% of wages and salaries, up to a maximum of $5,000 per student.
Co-op Graduates Hiring Incentive (COG-HI)
The Co-op Graduates Hiring Incentive (COG-HI) is designed to connect graduates of registered co-operative education programs to full-time employment related to their field of study. Employers who hire a student as part of a registered co-operative education program can claim 15% of wages and salaries, up to a lifetime maximum of $5,000 per student.
Salary and employment information
Current graduate statistics and information on entry-level salaries for Asper graduates
Current graduate statistics as well as information on entry-level salaries for Asper graduates can be found in the following grad surveys:
- 2019-2020 grad survey results (pdf)
- 2018-2019 grad survey results (pdf)
- 2017-2018 grad survey results (pdf)
For archived data please contact us at 204 474 6596 or email@example.com
Sponsoring and/or participating in our upcoming career events is a great way to share your expertise, market your organization to future employees, and connect with the business professionals of tomorrow!
Asper Career Month
During Asper Career Month, the CDC will offer a number of career focused events during the day and evening, including the University of Manitoba Career Fair in January. Events feature business guests and consulting experts offering advice to students in support of career exploration. If your company has an idea for a career focused event, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss logistics and sponsorship.
Asper Career Fair
Sponsor the Asper Career Fair on Wednesday, September 29th, 2021 from 10:00am to 1:00pm and grow your connection with the Asper community.
The event is virtual and will provide the same benefits as a physical career fair without compromising talent quality and safety.
Information on sponsorship levels and their benefits is available on the Asper Career Fair page.
Resume & CACEE Blitz
Held in September & January
Meet one on one with business students to share advice and insights on preparing dynamic resumes or CACEE forms that catch a prospective employers’ eye. Raise awareness of opportunities within your organization while sharing current recruitment practices with students.
- Build your on-campus profile
- Promote your organization as the sponsor of the Resume/CACEE Blitz through various social media channels and the Asper Career Portal
- Display your company logo on Asper Career Portal with a direct link to your Website for 1 year
- Display promotional material at event
- Send 2 representatives to meet with students at the Resume/CACEE Blitz
- Recognition of sponsorship at refreshment table
Asper engagement opportunities
Get involved with Asper! We are always looking for business professionals to join us as guests for our many events. It’s a great way to give back while staying connected!
MBA/MFin/MSCM speed interviews
Get a sneak peek at the leaders of tomorrow through mock interviews with Asper MBA, MFin, and MSCM students.
Mock interviews are a key piece of our Career Management seminars, and this no-pressure, no-hiring event gives current students interview experience and the chance to learn interview skills from business leaders.
Designed around the idea of speed dating, this concept pairs senior business guests from a variety of industries and sectors with graduate students for a fast paced, one hour long event. Guests interview graduate students and provide feedback on their interview performance, sharing insight and advice on what they look for when recruiting top talent. No preparation is required on our part – just bring your experience and insights to share with students!
Asper Career Fair
Hosted by the Asper Career Development Centre, this one-day Career Fair allows you to market your company to the business professionals of tomorrow.
Speaker and event participation
If you are interested in giving of your time to provide support or share advice with our students, please contact us at 204 474 6596 or at email@example.com