Check your account to figure out your hold:

  1. Log in to Aurora.
  2. Select Student Records.
  3. Select View Holds. From there you will be able to determine the type of hold you have.

Depending on the reason your account is on hold, will determine what actions you can do in Aurora.  You may have limited or no administrative or academic services available.  You must clear your hold at the faculty/school/college or appropriate office the hold occurred at. 

Some typical reasons for holds are:

  • Program/course selection must be approved
  • U1 student must transit into the Faculty of Arts or Science
  • Required Major, Minor, and/or Concentration declaration
  • Transcripts or documents required from other institutions
  • Unpaid tuition and/or other university fees
  • Outstanding library books and/or fines
  • Parking fines
  • Pending disciplinary action

"Hold Status" students are permitted to withdraw from courses, but will require advisor assistance.

Academic holds

Academic holds are often a result of a required transit from U1 into the Faculty of Arts or Science, a lack of a Major, Minor, and/or Concentration declarations, or a pending disciplinary action.

Advisor and program holds

Students enroled in some programs are required to discuss their course selections and program status with an advisor prior to registration. Advisor and program holds normally only restrict registration activity; other administrative services remain available.

Students can verify whether their program requires consultation with an advisor by checking their faculty/school section of the Academic Calendar, or by viewing their Registration Time and Status in Aurora.

Science Students in Major and Honours programs must obtain written departmental approval for their course selection and deliver it to the Faculty of Science Dean's office prior to registration.

Environment, Earth and Resources students in Advanced, Major and Honours Programs must obtain written departmental approval for their course selection and deliver it to the Clayton H. Riddell Faculty of Environment, Earth and Resources Dean's office prior to registration

Transit from U1 into Arts or Science

Once reaching a certain number of successfully completed credit hours, U1 students may either use a one-time-only transit from U1 into the Faculty of Arts or the Faculty of Science at no cost, or apply for admission to another program.

This option is available once a minimum of 24 credit hours has been reached, and students are normally placed On Hold and required to leave U1 once reaching 30 credit hours.

Students may only transit from U1 into either the Faculty of Arts or Science once; an application for admission is likely to be required for any subsequent movement between faculties, schools and/or programs.

More information is available from the U1 First Year Centre: Leaving University 1.

U1 students are encouraged to be aware of upcoming application deadlines: Admissions.

Declare Major, Minor or Concentration

Students in some programs may be required to declare a Major, Minor and/or Concentration.  A hold may be used to prompt students to make these declarations, once a certain number of credit hours has been reached.  For some students, this declaration can be done online using the Declarations menu in Aurora.

Students intending to Declare or change a Major, Minor or Concentration must do so BEFORE registering for classes.  Declarations or changes of Major and Minor after registration for the term must be done by your faculty/school.