Respondus provides assessment tools to create, manage and monitor online exams in UM Learn.
Features and benefits
Respondus helps instructors:
- Save time by allowing you to work offline on your PC and publish to UM Learn when ready.
- Preview, print and/or publish text directly from your online/remote learning course.
- Easily move tests, exams and quizzes from one course to another.
- Insert mathematical and scientific formulas and symbols.
The University of Manitoba uses three applications of Respondus:
- Respondus 4.0
- Respondus LockDown Browser
- Respondus Monitor.
Respondus 4.0 is not available for Mac, Android or iOS.
Respondus 4.0 is a powerful tool for creating and managing exams that can be published directly to the UM Learn Quizzes tool. Exams can be imported from Word (.docx and .doc) and other formats in a familiar Windows environment.
Respondus 4.0 must be installed on a Windows computer by a user with administrative access.
The use of Respondus is not mandatory and comes with possible constraints such as student internet bandwidth limitations, inability to meet the computer requirements, and the potential for increased anxiety.
Resources and support for Respondus 4.0
- For a quick start guide, user guides and video tutorials, please visit the Respondus 4.0 resource site.
Respondus 4.0 support in UM Learn
- For complete information, visit the Respondus 4.0 support documentation in the UM Learn Quizzes subsection. Log in to your course in UM Learn > Assessments > Quizzes > Respondus 4.0.
- A Quick Start Guide can be found in the Third Party Integrations subsection. Log in to your course in UM Learn > left side bar: Third Party Integrations > Respondus.
Respondus LockDown Browser and Respondus Monitor
Respondus LockDown Browser (LDB) is a browser that is similar to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Microsoft Edge, but its settings prevent printing, copying, navigating to another URL, accessing other applications, or closing an online quiz/test/exam until it is submitted for grading using the same computer.
Respondus Monitor records students during a quiz, test or exam in UM Learn via a webcam and microphone. Instructors can review these videos at a later time, if deemed necessary.
- Note: Respondus LDB can be used on its own, but Respondus Monitor requires Respondus LDB.
Considerations for use of Respondus LDB and Respondus Monitor
- Syllabus updates are required – If you choose to enable Respondus LDB, you must indicate this in your syllabus and include the minimum requirements for its use.
- Practice quizzes – Set up practice quizzes for your students to take before their actual quiz, test or exam is scheduled so they can become familiar and comfortable navigating their way through.
- Create two versions – If students have an issue with Respondus that they can’t resolve, ensure they can gain access to a second version of the quiz, test or exam that is not set up through Respondus. Create a second version by using the “special access” feature in your UM Learn’s Quiz tool.
- Alternative options – Using Respondus is not mandatory. The Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning strongly advises that instructors develop an alternative option for assessment for students who are unable to use the Respondus Monitor.
"How to" resources
Instructors should prepare themselves well in advance of the quiz, test, or exam. An array of learning materials is available for this purpose, including:
Inform your students!
Student awareness and practice are key to the successful use of Respondus applications. Students will be asked to agree to the terms of service, install and set up the applications on their computers and become familiar with how to use them. Please ensure that your students have access to the information and resources they need to prepare well in advance of any quiz, test, or exam with either LockDown Browser or LockDown Browser + Monitor enabled.
"How to" resources for students
Point your students towards these resources:
UM Learn > Support > Quizzes subsection
Respondus and eBooks
eBooks purchased within th campusebookstore site (Bibliu) can be accessed by students in open book exams using Respondus Lockdown Browser. Here are the step-by-step instructions for instructors to set up exams and how students can access the eBook during the exam.
Here are the steps instructors need to complete to set up the exam where eBooks are allowed:
- Add the link to https://www.campusebookstore.com in the quiz question in UM Learn (ensuring the link opens in a new tab/window)
- Add the following URLs as allowed external web domains in Respondus settings within UM Learn:
Here are the steps students need to complete to access the eBook within Respondus Lockdown Browser:
- Click on the link provided within the quiz
- Sign in to campusebookstore site.
- Click on "View book" link
- Sign in using the same credentials into Bibliu website
- Access the eBook
Ask an Expert consultation
Book a one-on-one one-hour appointment with a learning technology expert from The Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning. This is a great opportunity for a personalized consultation if you have any specific questions regarding the Respondus applications. Appointments are available on both campuses and are either face-to-face or by phone. Book an Ask an Expert appointment today.
Please see Academic Integrity for further information on promoting academic integrity and preventing academic misconduct.
The Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning provides technical support for Respondus. Our license with Respondus, Inc. does not permit instructors to obtain support directly from Respondus, Inc. If our staff is unable to solve a particular question or problem by using the Respondus 4.0 resource site, we will contact Respondus, Inc. on your behalf.
The Centre for the Advancement of Teaching and Learning
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
65 Dafoe Road, Winnipeg, MB
R3T 2N2, Canada
For assistance in teaching remotely, please email email@example.com.