Microbiology financial aid and awards
Explore the awards and scholarships available to you through the Department of Microbiology. Please make sure you read the eligibility criteria before applying. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.
On this page
University of Manitoba Graduate Fellowship (UMGF)
In 2023, the value for a 12-month period is PhD $18,000 and Masters $14,000.
- Pursuing a MSc or a PhD degree in Microbiology.
- Minimum admission GPA of 3.00 based on their admission to their current graduate program.
- All students regardless of citizenship are eligible to apply.
- Master’s students with more than 16 months in the graduate program are not eligible.
- PhD students with more than 40 months in the graduate program are not eligible.
Selection criteria: academic achievements, experience in research, and research potential
- Application package:
- Two letters of reference (sent separately to Stephanie Carter)
Students should compile their application in one PDF, named: UMGF-LastName, FirstName.
The deadline is March 31, 2023.
The James C. Jamieson Graduate Scholarship rewards the academic achievements of graduate students in the Faculty of Science pursuing studies in Biochemistry. Jamieson was dean of the Faculty of Science (1994-2004), head of the Department of Chemistry (1986-94) and a biochemist in the Department of Chemistry who taught the first Biochemistry course and helped develop our Biochemistry programs. He was an expert in glycobiology and played an important role in the development of WinRho, the Winnipeg biotechnology company Cangene and the Winnipeg Rh Institute Foundation.
Please stay tuned for information regarding 2023 - 2024 Jamieson Award.
Howard Lees Scholarship in Microbiology
The Department of Microbiology has established an endowment fund with the proceeds from the H. Lees Scholarship Fund collected from his former friends and students. The Manitoba Scholarship and Bursary Initiative has made a contribution to this fund. Each year, the available annual interest from the fund will be used to offer one scholarship to a graduate student who:
- is a graduate of the University of Manitoba with a Bachelor of Science degree in an Honours or Major program in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, or Genetics;
- is enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies in the first 24 months of a graduate program in the Department of Microbiology at the University of Manitoba;
- has achieved a minimum degree grade point average of 3.5;
- has attained the highest academic standing among their fellow microbiology graduate students in the last 48 credit hours of courses taken at the 2000 level or above.
Recipients may only hold this award once.
How to apply
- Check that you meet all the criteria mentioned above.
- Calculate your GPA (last 48 credit hours taken at the 2000 level or above)
- Send an email to Stephanie Carter identifying yourself as an applicant with your calculated GPA.
Amber Scholarship Fund
The Amber Scholarship Fund administered by The Winnipeg Foundation will be used to provide scholarships to high-achieving graduate students studying Microbiology at the University of Manitoba. Each academic year, the available earnings from the fund will be used to offer one scholarship to the graduate student who:
- is enrolled full-time in the Faculty of Graduate Studies in any year of study in either the master’s or doctoral program delivered by the Department of Microbiology at the University of Manitoba;
- has achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.5 based on the previous 6 credit hours (or equivalent) of study from graduate-level courses the student has taken in their current program;
- has demonstrated outstanding academic achievement and strong research potential.
How to apply
Applicants will be required to submit an application to the Department of Microbiology which will consist of the following materials:
- their thesis or dissertation proposal (maximum 1000 words);
- a current academic transcript (web copy is accepted)
- one letter of reference from the applicant’s supervisor/advisor or from a professor who has taught the applicant one or more courses. This letter should assess the applicant’s ability to succeed in a graduate program and/or speak to their research potential;
- a curriculum vitae of the applicant.
Department of Microbiology Leadership and Service Recognition Award
The Department of Microbiology, with the help of the Canadian Society of Microbiologists (CSM), has established the Department of Microbiology Leadership and Service Recognition Award for graduate students. The cash prize is from $200-$300, depending on the number of awardees.
How to apply
- Discuss your intention of applying with your supervisor to obtain their support for your application.
- Prepare a CV, emphasizing your academic achievements, your leadership, and your service contributions.
- Ask your supervisor or committee advisor to provide a persuasive letter of support.
- Secure an additional reference (maybe outside the University) While no letter from this additional reference is needed for this stage of the application, mention the name and contact information of this person, in case you are nominated for the Dean of Graduate Studies Student Achievement Prize (see information below).
- Email your CV with the contact information of your additional reference to Irene Golembioski before the deadline.
- Request your supervisor or committee advisor to email their letter of recommendation to Irene Golembioski before the deadline.
The Recipients of the Departmental/CSM leadership and Service Award will be recognized during the first Fall Departmental Seminar.
After the awardee/s are selected, the strongest candidate may be nominated for the Dean of Graduate Studies Student Achievement Prize by the Graduate Committee.
Department of Microbiology offers four undergraduate awards on the basis of scholarship.
Applications are not required.
Mindel and Tom Olenick Medal and Prize
Mindel and Tom Olenick Medal and Prize is awarded to a graduating student in the Bachelor of Science Honours degree program with the highest standing in Microbiology or Biochemistry Honours throughout the program.
Edna S. Hollier Scholarship
Edna S. Hollier Scholarship is for students completing their second year in an Honours or Major program in Microbiology, Biochemistry or Biotechnology. The award is based on high academic standing for students taking a full course load.
Edna S. Hollier Scholarship
Edna S. Hollier Scholarship is for students completing their third year in an Honours or Major program in Microbiology, Biochemistry or Biotechnology. The award is based on high academic standing for students taking a full course load.
Oscar Vong Memorial Scholarship
Oscar Vong Memorial Scholarship is to a student who has completed the second year of study in the Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Science and achieved the highest standing of eligible students with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5. The student must be enrolled full-time in the third year of study in an honours program in the Department of Microbiology.
Department of Microbiology
213 Buller Building
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T2N2 Canada