During this one-year program, fellows will have the opportunity to participate in a variety of complex cardiac surgeries, including advanced aortic surgery, heart failure surgical therapy with implantable ventricular assist devices, and all forms of mechanical circulatory support with an active ECMO program. Training takes place at St. Boniface Hospital and Health Sciences Centre.
Admission and application requirements
Application deadline: January 31
Candidates must supply the following documents:
- Letter of intent
- Curriculum vitae/resumé
- Three recent reference letters
- Copy of certificate of specialty completion
- Copy of medical degree
- Copy of passport
- Department of Surgery fellowship application form (PDF)
International Medical Graduates (IMGs)
- Be medical doctors who are graduates of medical schools listed in the FAIMER directory
- Provide confirmation of Pass Result of the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part 1 or the United States medical licensure Examination (USMLE) Steps 1 and 2.
IMGs must also submit one (1) of the following documents:
- IELTS academic version within the last 24 months at the time of application, and achieved a minimum score of 7.0 in each of the four components in the same sitting.
- Occupational English Test – Medicine (OET-Medicine), with a minimum grade of B in each of the four subsets in the same sitting.
- Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program – General (CELPIP-General) Test, with a minimum score of 9 in each of the four skills in the same sitting.
How to apply
Candidates must apply with the complete application package by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants must ensure that reference letters are received within three weeks of the application submission. The department will not contact the referees for the purpose of requesting the letter.
Note: Visa sponsored applicants must apply with their home sponsoring agency who will direct the applications to the PGME office. Applications from sponsoring agencies should be sent directly to: email@example.com
The Department of Surgery Fellowship Programs are not accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). They are recognized and approved by the Max Rady College of Medicine, Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, Postgraduate Medical Education Executive Council.
Explore the University of Manitoba
We attract people from around the world who share our ideals and vision for positive change. We believe in embracing challenges and taking action. Our students, researchers and alumni bring their unique voices to learning and discovery, shaping new ways of doing things and contributing to important conversations in topics that matter most, from human rights to global health to climate change. We are where imagination and action collide.
Max Rady College of Medicine
AE101-820 Sherbrook Street
University of Manitoba (Bannatyne campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3A 1R9 Canada