Before submitting your thesis to the Faculty of Graduate Studies for examination, your advisory committee must verify that they have read the complete thesis and provided you with a detailed review and comments, including any necessary revisions, by signing the Approval to Proceed to Ph.D. Thesis Examination form (PDF available on the Faculty of Graduate Studies Forms page). This form must be signed by all parties and submitted by the student alongside the thesis. Signing the Approval to Proceed form does not constitute a formal evaluation of the thesis.
The thesis will be eligible for examination if:
- No more than one (1) member of the advisory committee indicates on the Approval to Proceed to Ph.D. Thesis Examination form that they do not support proceeding to the formal examination of the thesis; and
- The department/unit indicates on the Approval to Proceed to Ph.D. Thesis Examination form that they do support proceeding to the formal examination of the thesis.
Once the Approval to Proceed to Ph.D. Thesis Examination form is signed by all parties and the thesis is ready for examination, you must submit it, your thesis, and any related files (if applicable) to the Faculty of Graduate Studies via the Ph.D. Thesis Submission Form on the Graduate Studies Hub (University of Manitoba account login required). Below are complete instructions on how to submit your thesis to the committee and for what to expect after your thesis has been submitted.
Graduate Studies Hub
Note on advisors, co-advisors, and internal examiners from outside of the University of Manitoba
Individuals who do not have a UMNetID and University of Manitoba email address (e.g., faculty from the University of Winnipeg who do not have an appointment at the University of Manitoba) must be added to the University of Manitoba's Microsoft user directory in order to access the Graduate Studies Hub and the administrative processes hosted on that site, including the Ph.D. thesis examination process. For additional details, please see the External Users page on the Graduate Studies Hub site (University of Manitoba account login required).
Those who hold adjunct appointments or are otherwise eligible to claim a UMNetID must claim their UMNetID to be able to access the Graduate Studies Hub and other University of Manitoba services and systems. For additional information, please visit the Claim UMNetID page on the University of Manitoba website.
If your Advisor, Co-Advisor, and/or examining committee members do not have an appointment (including adjunct) at the University of Manitoba, they must be granted access to the Graduate Studies Hub before you submit your thesis for examination.
The Ph.D. thesis examination process is located on the Graduate Studies Hub Sharepoint site, which is accessible to all faculty, staff, and students. This is the method Ph.D. students must use to submit their thesis for examination.
To access the thesis submission form, you will need to:
- Log in to your Microsoft account using your University of Manitoba student credentials (i.e., email@example.com).
- If you accessed the login page from a link to the Graduate Studies Hub, you will be directed to the Graduate Studies Hub home page once you have logged in using Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA). If you were already logged into your account in your web browser, you will not be prompted to log in again.
- If you accessed the login page from another link (e.g., portal.office.com), you can navigate to Sharepoint from the Apps waffle menu in the top left-hand corner of your screen. Once you are on the Sharepoint homepage, search for the Graduate Studies Hub using the search bar at the top of the screen. For more information on navigating Sharepoint, please visit the Microsoft website.
- From the Graduate Studies Hub home screen, select the “Ph.D. Thesis Examinations” button or navigate to the page from the navigation toolbar at the top of the screen (under “Program Requirements”).
- Read the “Before you begin” section on the Ph.D. Thesis Examinations page for details about submission requirements. Ensure that you have all of the proper documents and information available before navigating to the submission form.
- Once you are ready to submit your thesis, select “Submit your Ph.D. thesis for examination”. This link is available in multiple places along the right-hand side of the screen and will open in a new tab in your web browser upon selection.
- Enter the required details into the appropriate form fields. The form is structured into the following sections for ease of navigation:
- Preamble (eligibility for examination and anticipated graduation date)
- Student Information (student name, number, email address, program)
- Thesis Information (title, abstract, PDF thesis file, Approval to Proceed to Ph.D. Thesis Examination Form, supplementary file(s) and/or descriptions of revisions, if applicable)
- Examining Committee Information (for each examiner: name, email address, role, department/unit)
- Review all information entered for accuracy before proceeding to the next section and ensure that the correct documents are uploaded. When you are ready to submit the form, select the “Submit” button at the bottom of the screen. You will receive a confirmation email shortly after the thesis has been submitted.
If you have any questions, please contact Graduate.Programs@umanitoba.ca.