School & Guidance Counsellor
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Educational counsellors advise current and prospective students on educational issues, career planning and personal development, and co-ordinate the provision of counselling services to students, parents, teachers, faculty and staff. They are employed by school boards and post-secondary educational institutions. (National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Guidance & Counselling - Manitoba Education, Citizenship & Youth
- A Day in the Life of a Guidance Counsellor - The Princeton Review (U.S.)
- Sokanu: School Counsellor - occupational profile and videos (U.S.)
- School Counsellor Careers/Roles - from the American School Counselor Association
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Manitoba Education & Training: Professional Certifications - information on certifications incl. School Counsellor Certificate
- Search Education Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Reports (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Manitoba Teacher's Society: Collective Bargaining - Division Salary Comparisons & the "Where to Teach in Manitoba" report outlining benefits and working conditions
- Winnipeg Teachers Association - Collective Agreement - includes salary schedules
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Manitoba School Counsellors' Association - Manitoba Teachers' Society (MTS)
- Canadian Counselling and Psychotherapy Association (CCPA)
- Canadian Education Association (CEA)
- Canadian Teachers Federation
- American Federation of Teachers
- American School Counselor Association
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Schools in Manitoba - Manitoba Government list of divisions and schools
- Manitoba First Nations School System Map - MFNERC
- Manitoba School Boards Association - school boards list
- Canadian School Boards Association
- Directory of Adult Learning Centres in Manitoba - Manitoba Government
- Manitoba Affiliated Schools Overseas - Manitoba Government
- Manitoba 211- directory of social service organizations in Manitoba
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.