Marriage & Family Therapist
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Marriage and family counsellors provide counselling to help families, couples and individuals resolve interpersonal difficulties, develop effective and satisfactory relationships and build meaningful support systems (alis). Marriage and Family Therapists view problems in complex and holistic ways, examining relationships and interactions as significant components of health and optimal functioning. (Canadian Association of Marriage and Family Therapists). They are employed by counselling centres, social service agencies, group homes, government agencies, family therapy centres, and health care and rehabilitation facilities, or they may work in private practice (NOC).
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis (includes video) - Alberta-based occupational information
- Sokanu: Marriage Therapist - occupational profile and videos (U.S.)
- What is Marriage & Family Therapy? - American Association of Marriage & Family Therapy
- What is a Registered Marriage and Family Therapist? - Canadian Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Interview: Lia Huynh, MFT - Interview from Careers in Psychology
- Interview: Dr. Narumi Taniguchi - Director of the Marriage and Family Therapy Program at the University of Winnipeg
- Profile of a Marriage and Family Counselor - AllPsychologySchools.com
Marriage and family therapists have at least a master's degree in marriage and family therapy, social work, psychology or a related discipline (alis). The University of Manitoba does not offer an MMFT (Masters of Marriage and Family Therapy). Students interested in pursuing an MMFT may complete the required undergraduate study at the University of Manitoba before applying to an accredited program at another school. In Manitoba, the University of Winnipeg offers a non-thesis Masters of Marriage and Family Therapy.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Exploring Other Education Options
- List of Accredited Programs - Canadian Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- COAMFTE Accredited Programs in Canada & U.S
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Alumni Employment Status - Information on employment rates of University of Winnipeg MMFT graduates
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Manitoba Association for Marriage and Family Therapy
- Canadian Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (CAMFT)
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)
- International Association of Marriage and Family Counselors (iAMFC)
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- 211 Manitoba - Social services directory
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Canadian Association of Community Health Centres - Members
- Therapists and Counselling Organizations in Manitoba - Theravive
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.