Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Psychiatric Nurses provide professional nursing and mental health nursing services in mental health care facilities and in the community. They promote and help people restore and maintain good mental health. (alis) Along with other Registered Nurses, they are employed in a variety of settings including hospitals, nursing homes, extended care facilities, rehabilitation centres, doctors' offices, clinics, community agencies, companies, private homes and public and private organizations or they may be self-employed. (NOC)
Nurses trained exclusively as registered psychiatric nurses (RPN) are regulated in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Colombia. In all other provinces and territories, registered nurses (RN) may work as psychiatric nurses without separate registration. (NOC)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- What RPNs do - College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba
- Psychiatric Nursing - Johnson & Johnson (U.S)
- A Day in the Life of a Psychiatric Nurse - Stenberg College
- Discover your Future in Healthcare: Psychiatric Nurse - University of Manitoba
The University of Manitoba does not offer a specialized program in Psychiatric Nursing leading to a Registered Psychiatric Nursing designation (RPN), but does offer a degree in Nursing leading to a designation as a Registered Nurse (RN). Psychiatric Nursing positions may be available to those holding an RN. View the links below to learn about Psychiatric Nursing programs in Manitoba and across Canada. Meet with a Career Consultant to determine which degree path suits your occupational goals.
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- College of Nursing - Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- Health Careers Access Program (HCAP) - prepares Indigenous Manitobans for entry to the health professions
- Professional Health Program - supports Indigenous students who have been accepted into a professional health program
Exploring Other Education Options
- Education Programs in Canada - Registered Psychiatric Nurse Regulators of Canada
- Search Directories
Information for foreign-trained registered nurses and psychiatric nurses - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals - collective agreements and pay scale information
- Manitoba Nurses Union - wage scales and collective agreements by region
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- College of Registered Psychiatric Nurses of Manitoba
- Manitoba Nurses Union
- Manitoba Association of Health Care Professionals
- Canadian Indigenous Nurses Association
- The Canadian Federation of Mental Health Nurses
- American Psychiatric Nurses Association (U.S.)
- International Society of Psychiatric-Mental Health Nurses
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
- Canadian Association of Community Health Centres (CACHC) - Members
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
- Shared Health Careers - Health authorities throughout Manitoba
- NursingCareersCanada.ca - Canadian Nurses Association
- NurseRecruiter.com - U.S. nursing job board and nurse recruitment resource
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience:
- Nursing Opportunities in Manitoba - Government of Manitoba
- Canadian Nurse magazine - includes nurse profiles, news, research and professional practice info
- Registered Psychiatric Nurses' Foundation - National Scholarships
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- Article: Help in a Hurry: Five New Clinics Provide Rapid Access to Addictions Medicine - Wave, WRHA's health & wellness magazine
- Doctors Without Borders: Nurses