Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors and specialist physicians who diagnose, treat, and help prevent disorders of the mind. Among other duties, they: prescribe, direct, or administer psychotherapeutic treatments or medications to treat mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders; design individualized care plans using a variety of treatments; collaborate with physicians, psychologists, social workers, psychiatric nurses, or other professionals to discuss treatment plans and progress; and analyze and evaluate patient data or test findings to diagnose nature or extent of mental disorder. (O*NET Online)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- Medical Specialty Profiles - overview of medical specialties with demographics and data on workload and job satisfaction from the Canadian Medical Association
- Profiles of Medical Residents- from Resident Doctors of Canada
- Medical Officer - opportunities with the Canadian Armed Forces, includes video
- Sokanu- occupational information and videos
- About Addiction Psychiatry - from the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry
- What is Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry? (aka psychosomatic medicine) - Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry
- Definition of a Geriatric Psychiatrist - Canadian Academy of Geriatric Psychiatry
- What's the difference between a Psychologists & Psychiatrists? - from the Canadian Psychological Association
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- College of Medicine - Rady Faculty of Health Sciences
- Department of Psychiatry - department clinical programs
- Health Careers Access Program (HCAP) - designed to prepare Indigenous Manitobans for entry to the health professions
- Professional Health Access Program - supports Indigenous students who have been accepted into a professional health program
Exploring Other Education Options
- Accredited Canadian Medical Schools - Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools
- U.S. Medical Schools - Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Medical School Directory - listing of North American programs from the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- World Directory of Medical Schools - from the World Federation for Medical Education (WFME) and the Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research (FAIMER)
Information for foreign-trained specialist physicians - Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Doctors Manitoba Collective Agreement (see Salary Schedule) - Manitoba Government
- Physicians in Canada report (link to pdf is on right side of screen) - this report from the Canadian Institute for Health Information includes demographic and salary information
- Workforce Studies - physician demographics and supply and demand information from the Association of American Medical Colleges
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- Canadian Psychiatric Association
- Canadian Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
- Canadian Academy of Geriatric Psychiatry
- Canadian Academy of Psychiatry and the Law - for Forensic Psychiatrists
- Canadian Academy of Psychosomatic Medicine
- College of Physicians & Surgeons of Manitoba
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Association of American Physicians and Surgeons
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
- Canadian Association of Community Health Centres - members
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority + search other RHA job boards in MB & Canada
- Canadian Association of Staff Physician Recruiters - physician job postings
These external resources may provide you with additional information about the occupation and opportunities to build experience:
- University of Manitoba Undergraduate Leaders in Healthcare - campus student group
- Rady Faculty of Health Science Community Mentorship Program (Facebook page)
- Canadian Residency Matching Services (CaRMS) - program descriptions with placement numbers
- Canadian Mental Health Association
- World Psychiatric Association
- Canadian Society of Addiction Medicine
- Medical Psychotherapy Association Canada
- Canadian Alliance on Mental Health & Mental Illness
- Doctors Without Borders
- National Physician Survey (Canada)
- Physician Data Centre - Physician Workforce Surveys,
- Health Data & Reports - Canadian Centre for Health Information
- Canadian Medical Residency Guide, 10th edition (pdf) - view Section C: Residency Profiles and Section D: Career Profiles for medical specialty and residency program descriptions, physician surveys and average physician salaries
- Healthy Debate - articles on health care issues, a weekly podcast on new research from medical journals, and more