Licensed Practical Nurse
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Licensed Practical Nurses (LPN) care for ill, injured or recovering patients or persons with disabilities in hospitals, nursing homes, clinics, private homes, and group homes. Some of the duties performed by LPNs include administrating prescribed medications, starting intravenous fluids, charting and reporting changes in patients’ conditions. (Adapted from O*net Online).
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational description
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- OCCinfo by alis (includes video) - Alberta-based occupational information
- Sokanu - occupational info and videos (U.S.)
- Career Profiles - Workforce Windsor Essex (U.K.)
- Manitoba Aboriginal Health Careers - Success Stories - Licensed Practical Nurse
The University of Manitoba does not offer the training required to become a Licensed Practical Nurse. Visit the links below to learn more about Practical Nursing accredited programs in Manitoba and Canada. (Note that the UM offers the training required to become a Registered Nurse. Select the link to the right to learn more). If you are a University of Manitoba student who would like assistance with planning your career and educational pathway, visit Career Services.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Practical Nursing Diploma Programs - College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba
- Nursing Programs in Canada - Canadian Nurses Association
- Search Education Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis - Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Manitoba Nurses Union - wage scales and collective agreements by region
- Manitoba Nursing Labour Market Supply - Manitoba Government (scroll for report link)
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Manitoba
- Canadian Nurses Association
- Canadian Indigenous Nurses Association
- The Canadian Federation of Mental Health Nurses
- National Association of Licensed Practical Nurses (U.S.)
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Regional Health Authorities - Province of Manitoba
- Health Regions in Canada - listings and maps from Statistics Canada
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.