Teachers: Elementary & Secondary School
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Elementary school teachers teach all subjects and facilitate the learning of children aged four to nine, focusing in particular on building students' literacy and numeracy. Middle years & high school teachers teach students ten to eighteen and may be generalists or subject area specialists. Teachers may also teach adults aged 18+ at adult education centres. In Manitoba, teacher training is divided into three streams: Early Years (K to 4), Middle Years (grades 5 to 8) and Senior Years (grades 9 to 12).
This profile page includes information about: Elementary, Middle & High School Teachers including Special Needs Teachers, Music Teachers, Physical Education Teachers and School Principals. Please see the links to the right for information about higher level School Administrators, Education Policy Analysts and Curriculum Developers.
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below:
- National Occupational Classification (NOC) - Canadian occupational descriptions
- OCCinfo by alis - Alberta-based occupational information
- Interview: Grade 1 Teacher - from StudyinCanada.com
- O*NET Online - U.S. resource for occupational descriptions and information
- A Day in the Life of a Teacher - from The Princeton Review
- Teaching for a Living - article from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (2016)
- Career Profiles by Sokanu - occupational profile and videos (U.S.):
- Let's Talk Science Career Profile: High School Teacher
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit U of M's faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
Exploring Other Education Options
- Professional Certification | Manitoba Education and Early Childhood Learning
- Search Directories
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Trend Analysis: Job Market Reports (Winnipeg Region) - Gov. of Canada Job Bank
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Job outlook for the U.S.
- Manitoba Teacher's Society: Collective Bargaining - Division Comparisons, Salary Settlements & the "Where to Teach in Manitoba" report outlining benefits and working conditions
- Winnipeg Teacher's Association - Salary schedule for teachers not in administrative positions
Professional associations may organize events and provide directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities may also be available: engage, learn and network!
- EdCan Network
- Manitoba Teachers' Society (MTS)
- Manitoba Registered Music Teachers Association
- Manitoba Teachers Associations - MTS listing which includes:
- Canadian Teachers Federation
- American Federation of Teachers
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- Schools in Manitoba - Manitoba Government list of divisions and schools
- District Map - Manitoba First Nations School System
- Directory of Adult Learning Centres in Manitoba - Manitoba Government
- Manitoba Affiliated Schools Overseas - Manitoba Government
- Manitoba 211- directory of social service organizations in Manitoba
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.