Employment Counsellors & Career Development Practitioners
Learn about this occupation – including typical duties, education required, salary and job outlook information, job boards and more.
Employment counsellors and career development practitioners provide assistance and information to clients on all aspects of career planning and employment search. They also provide advice and information to employer clients regarding employment issues and human resources. Employment counsellors and career development practitioners are employed by human resource departments of establishments, employment service organizations, consulting firms, correctional facilities and by federal and provincial governments. Supervisors of employment counsellors are included in this unit group. (Adapted from the National Occupational Classification)
Find detailed information about the occupation, including typical duties and working conditions, in the links below.
A bachelor's degree or college diploma in employment counselling, career development or in a related field, such as human resources development, psychology, education or social services is required. A master's degree in counselling psychology or a related field such as educational psychology, developmental psychology or social work may be required. In Quebec, membership in a professional association is mandatory to use the title ''counsellor''. (NOC)
Increasingly, employers are looking for applicants who have a certificate, diploma or degree in career development, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. (alis)
U of M Academic Calendar
The Academic Calendar & Catalogue outlines program admission and course requirements. Use the left menu to navigate to a specific faculty and program. To determine which degree path suits your unique occupational goals, speak with a Career Consultant. For support with course registration and academic issues, speak with an Academic Advisor.
Faculty and Department Homepages
Visit the faculty and department homepage to learn about program application deadlines and processes, as well as additional in-house resources and opportunities.
- Faculty of Arts
- Faculty of Education
- Faculty of Management - Human Resources
- Faculty of Science - Psychology
- Faculty of Social Work
- Extended Education
- Applied Counselling
- Applied Human Resources Management (internationally-educated)
- Human Resources Management Certificate Program (HRM)
Exploring Other Education Options
Labour market information
Labour market information informs users of supply and demand for specific occupations and sectors. It includes such things as salary and job outlook information. These resources support informed career decision making and job search efforts.
- Canada Job Bank - Trend Analysis: Job Market Report (Winnipeg Region)
- Occupational Outlook Handbook- Job outlook for the U.S.
- I want to be a career counsellor. What will my salary be? - The Globe & Mail
Professional associations organize events and directories, job postings, career and labour market information. Student membership opportunities are also available. This is a great way to learn and network.
- Manitoba Association for Career Development
- Career Professionals of Canada
- Canadian Council for Career Development
- Canadian Association of Career Educators and Employers
- Ontario Association of Career Management
- Canadian Counselling & Psychotherapy Association - Career Counsellors chapter
Directories, Industry Associations, and Sector Councils
These resources provide industry news, labour market information and a list of potential employers. Remember, there are usually multiple industries worth exploring.
- 211 Manitoba - social services directory
- Manitoba Jobs and Skills Development Centres - Manitoba Government
- Canadian Association for Supported Employment - member directory
- Universities Canada - members
- Colleges & Institutes Canada - member directory
Search occupations of interest in the industry-specific job boards below to learn about skill requirements, employers, job duties and available jobs. You may also wish to search more general online job boards.