Equipment and facilities - Elizabeth Dafoe Library
Flexible seating options for individual work and group collaboration are available along with technology and equipment.
Brown & Gold Labs (Rooms 110-111)
The Brown and Gold Labs are located on the main floor of Dafoe Library to the right of the service desk. Both labs are available for student use during regular opening hours unless they have been reserved for workshops or class sessions.
The Brown Lab is set up as quiet collaboration space for students to use their own laptop.
The Gold Lab contains desktop computers with dual monitors for individual work.
The Co-Lab is an open computing area located across from the printing stations in Dafoe Library.
The Co-lab has 20 work stations available for student use during regular opening hours.
The laptop loans are available for UM students via the self-service locker located opposite the Brown Lab on the entrance level of the Dafoe Library.
Portable charger lending
The portable chargers are available for UM students via the self-service kiosk located opposite the Brown Lab on the entrance level of the Dafoe Library. Borrowers must provide their own cord or cable.
Print, scan, photocopy
Dafoe Library has:
- 2 black & white printers (Room 189)
- 1 colour printer (Room 189)
- 4 flatbed scanners:
- Microforms viewing area
- Printing station across from the Co-Lab
- Brown Lab
- Accessibility space behind the Service Desk.
- 1 photocopier (Room 103)
- Printing is available in open libraries.
- You can print from your own device or use one of the Libraries' computers.
- To print, you will need to add funds to your Library Print account via the Library Print online portal.
- Flatbed scanners are available in most libraries.
- There is no cost for scanning.
- Photocopying is available in:
- Eckhardt Gramatté Music Library
- Elizabeth Dafoe Library
- Neil John Maclean Health Sciences Library
- To photocopy, you will need to add funds to your Library Print account via the Library Print online portal.
Group study rooms
Dafoe Library has three study rooms available for students. They can be booked in advance for up to two hours using our online room booking manager.
You will need to login with your UMnet ID to reserve the room and swipe your student card to access the room.
Additional spaces ideal for group study are located in the Reference Room on the main floor of the library near the Starbucks.
Quiet study spaces
The second and third floors of Dafoe Library are designated quiet study areas. There are several study carrels with power outlets located on the second floor Mezzanine.
Additional large tables and quiet study carrels are located throughout the second and third floor for your convenience.
Long-term student study space
Dafoe Library has two rooms located on the second and third floors with study carrels available for long-term use. Graduate students and President’s Scholars may apply.
Guidelines and rules
The Libraries wishes to provide as open and fair access to resources and services as possible.
We ask you to review our guidelines and rules for information about such things as accessing electronic resources and having food and beverages in libraries.