Occupational therapist working with a mother and child.

Occupational therapy in Manitoba

Occupational therapists in Manitoba work in all types of settings including hospitals, rehabilitation centers, personal care homes, social services, private practice, and industry with people of all ages. Occupational therapists are independent practitioners who work on goals set with clients to meet their personal needs.

Today’s Canadian graduates complete a Master of Occupational Therapy degree for entry to practice, and all practicing occupational therapists in Canada (both Canadian and international graduates) must register with a provincial regulator and meet specific educational and practice standards. To practice occupational therapy in Manitoba you must be registered with the College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba.

An internationally educated applicant’s equivalency to Canadian educated occupational therapists is determined by the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations (ACOTRO) through participation in the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS) process.

For a better understanding of occupational therapy in Manitoba, visit the Manitoba Society of Occupational Therapists (MSOT).

  • icon calendar

    Average time to registration

    1.9 years

  • icon money

    Approximate costs


  • icon award

    Successful registrants


How to register for practice

  • First step

    Graduates from outside of Canada must complete the Substantial Equivalency Assessment System (SEAS) process with the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy Regulatory Organizations (ACOTRO).

    This assessment includes:

    • verification of your occupational therapy credential (diploma/degree)
    • confirmation of your identity
    • language proficiency in English or French
    • review of your occupational therapy entry to practice program (coursework and clinical/fieldwork experience)

    Once this information is complete and accepted, you must pass a Jurisprudence Knowledge Assessment (JKA) and a Competency Assessment (CA).

    Please refer to the SEAS website for current information.

  • Next steps

    Once you have successfully completed the SEAS assessment, you must apply for registration to practice occupational therapy in Manitoba.

    The College of Occupational Therapists of Manitoba (COTM) regulates occupational therapy practice in the province and registration is required for anyone working as an occupational therapist.

    Registration in Manitoba requires successful completion of:

    If you have further questions about the registration process, contact the provincial regulator (COTM) or reach out to the Access Hub and we can help to direct you to the appropriate organization and/or resources.


Contact us

Looking for help or need more information? Please contact us!

IEHP Access Hub
University of Manitoba (Bannatyne campus)
Winnipeg, Manitoba  R3E 3P5

We are working remotely and do not currently have a physical space on campus. For all inquiries, please reach out by email.