Advisor Student Guidelines
In September 2013, the Faculty of Graduate Studies implemented the Advisor Student Guidelines (ASG) to assist advisors/co-advisors and students in establishing mutually acceptable guidelines for their working relationship, thereby enhancing the graduate experience. The ASG is required for all students in thesis and practicum routes. It is to be completed prior to the commencement of any research and no later than the submission of the student’s first Progress Report.
The Advisor Student Guidelines form is designed to guide discussion between advisor/co-advisors and graduate student registered in a thesis or practicum program in establishing guidelines for their relationship. It may be revisited at any stage of the student’s graduate program to accommodate changes in the student-advisor/co-advisors relationship.
The student-advisor/co-advisors relationship involves mentoring, support, career development, as well as academic oversight. Advisor/Co-advisors and student must arrive at jointly acceptable terms to establish their relationship.
The advisor/co-advisors is/are responsible for supervising the graduate student’s graduate program. The advisor/co-advisors is/are the student’s primary point(s) of contact at the University of Manitoba, and should be familiar with the general policies and regulations of the Faculty of Graduate Studies as well as the specific supplementary regulations of their academic unit. This form does not replace official University of Manitoba statements of policy and procedure.
If students or advisors/co-advisors have any questions or concerns regarding their graduate program or this form, advice may be sought from the program graduate chair, department/unit head, Student Advocacy or the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
The Faculty of Graduate Studies plays an active role in the development of the student-advisor/co-advisors relationship. Please review our website to find more information, consultation, and guidance for both advisor/co-advisors and student.
The ASG must be completed prior to the commencement of any research and no later than the submission of the first Progress Report for the student.
How to complete an ASG
The ASG must be completed using the online form only which can be found on the Graduate Studies tab in JUMP. This includes joint U of W programs.
If you would like to review the ASG prior to completing the form online, a PDF version is available here. Please note that no paper copies of the form will be accepted.
To complete the ASG:
- The Student and Advisor/Co-Advisors must review and complete the online document together in person at the same time.
- The advisor logs into their JUMP account, selects the Graduate Studies tab, and clicks on “Click here to start a new Advisor/Student Guidelines form” in the FGS Advisor/Student Guidelines box. The portal will automatically populate the Advisor’s information; however, the Advisor will need to enter the student’s name, student number and UmNetID. The student’s UmNetID is the same username used to log into JUMP. If the UmNetID is unknown, the student must contact IST prior to beginning the ASG.
- If there is a Co-Advisor please select the checkbox “Include a co-advisor” under the Advisor Information section and input the Co-Advisor’s information.
- The Advisor clicks “Verify” on the bottom left side of the page. Once verified, the Advisor will be brought to the online form.
- The Student and Advisors should discuss each statement before checking the confirmation box for each point including applicable “optional” items.
- Once the document is completed, the Advisor clicks “Verify” at the bottom of the page.
- The advisor may now close the online form and log out of JUMP – note, however, that the process is not yet complete.
- The ASG will appear in the advisor’s JUMP Graduate Studies tab as a form awaiting Student (and Co-Advisor, if applicable) approval.
- The Student and/or Co-Advisor must log into their own JUMP account(s), select the Faculty tab, Graduate Studies tab, and click on the green ASG number. When the document is opened, the Student and/or Co-Advisor may review each point and then must click on “Accept or Reject.”
Once the student accepts or rejects the document, the electronic form will be logged by FGS. Electronic copies will remain available in the Student and Advisors’ JUMP Graduate Studies tab. Each unit may, at their discretion, retain a copy of the completed ASG; however, the only way this is possible is to print off the final ASG showing the student and advisor/co-advisors have approved it.
- If an ASG has already been submitted by paper (prior to January 1, 2017) and a copy has been retained, an electronic form does not need to be completed.
- Joint U of W program Advisors need to contact the Faculty of Graduate Studies at email@example.com to be granted one time access to JUMP to complete the ASG with their student(s).
- Students who do not have an advisor at the time of their first Progress Report must complete the ASG with the Grad Chair and then again once the Advisor is determined.
- If a student changes advisors, or programs, a new ASG will need to be completed.
- The agreement may be revisited at any stage of the student’s graduate program to accommodate changes in the advisor-student relationship.
Help with your ASG form
I completed the ASG with my advisor/co-advisors but cannot see my ASG in my student JUMP account to approve/reject the form. Where did it go?
When you started the ASG, did your advisor input your UMNetID? JUMP uses students’ UMNetID as an identifier to know which ASG belongs to which student. Please contact ASG support.
My advisor is unable to continue as my advisor, do I need to complete an ASG with my new advisor?
Yes, you are required to start a new ASG with your new advisor as it is a new partnership and both sides need to agree to the terms set out in the Advisor Student Guidelines.
My advisor and I forgot to include my co-advisor in the ASG. Do we need to start a new form?
Yes, you will need to start a new ASG to include your co-advisor as it is a partnership and all parties need to agree to the terms set out in the Advisor Student Guidelines.
My advisor and I did the ASG already, why did I get an email saying it’s showing as student pending?
The reason your ASG is currently showing as student pending is because you need to accept the agreement from your side, similar to a contract both parties need to "sign”. Please log in to your JUMP account at your earliest convenience, go to the Graduate Studies tab, click on the green ASG number, scroll to the bottom and select “Accept”.
What is my UMNetID?
Please contact IST if you have either not yet claimed, or have forgotten your UMNetID.
I’m a student and staff member at the U of M. Should I use my student number or employee number when filling out the ASG?
Please ensure you are using your student number when filling out the ASG.
I changed my name and also requested my UMNetID be updated. Why can I not see my ASG?
Please ensure you inform your advisor of your name/UMNetID change prior to filling out the ASG. Your old UMNetID may have been inputted in error.
I completed my Master’s program and will have the same advisor for my Ph.D. program. Do we need to complete a new ASG?
Yes, you are required to start a new ASG with your previous advisor because you are starting a new program.
I accepted my ASG but have not yet received a confirmation email. Does this mean my ASG is incomplete?
Students and advisors/co-advisors do not receive confirmation emails. You can check the status of your ASG by logging in to your JUMP account to see if the ASG is labelled approved/pending under your status.
My advisor and I would like to update the terms of our ASG. Can we start a new online form if we’ve already completed one previously?
The agreement may be revisited at any stage of the student’s graduate program to accommodate for changes in the advisor-student relationship. To update your ASG please start a new form.
My advisor is away overseas researching do I need to wait until they return to complete the ASG?
Yes, the advisor/co-advisors and the student must review each of the points listed below together, must check off each box to confirm that the items have been discussed and the advisor/co-advisors and student must confirm that they each understand all of these items.
I logged into JUMP to accept my ASG and I’m able to click on the ASG form number but there is no option to accept or reject the form.
When starting an ASG, the online portal will automatically populate the advisor’s information. Unfortunately, if the student logs into JUMP and starts the ASG the student’s information is pulled and inputted where the advisor information should be. Please restart the online form at your earliest convenience and ensure your advisor logs into their JUMP account to start the ASG.
For ASG technical support, please contact Graduate Programs.
Faculty of Graduate Studies
Room 500 University Centre
65 Chancellors Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada