• Three students sitting together and talking at a small round table.

    English Language Centre

    The English Language Centre (ELC) provides quality programming to students whose first language is not English. If you need to meet university English language admission requirements, or hope to improve your academic English while you're studying at UM, the ELC can help.

  • Two international students sit at a table, chatting and reviewing printed material.

    Language exchange

    A good conversation partner can make practicing English much less daunting! The Language Exchange program connects people who speak different languages to meet each week to practice each other’s languages and learn about each other’s cultures in a friendly, relaxed environment.

  • An international graduate student chats with a mentor in a UM hallway.


    Moving to a new country to study can bring many uncertainties. That's why the Welcome Mentors program pairs new international students with experienced UM students, allowing both to develop skills and meaningful relationships. Connect with current students and familiarize yourself with campus with the support of a mentor.

  • A beautiful garden outside of an affiliated college residence.

    International College of Manitoba

    If you do not meet the academic requirements, are missing the English language proficiency requirement, or need extra academic support, the International College of Manitoba may be an option for you.

Living in residence

Your time in residence will be one of the most memorable and rewarding parts of your UM experience. Our buildings are equipped with furnished rooms, free high-speed internet, study spaces, lounges and laundry facilities. You'll build life-long relationships as you live in a close community with other students on campus.


Practice your English and learn more about Canadian culture by living with a Canadian host family through our homestay program. Homestay homes are located 15-35 minutes by bus from the university campus and are inspected and approved by Homestay staff. All homes are safe, clean and comfortable, letting you focus on your studies in a great environment.

Working in Manitoba as a student and after graduation

As an international student, you may be eligible to work up to 20 hours per week to build your network, enhance your language abilities, develop professional skills and help cover the costs of your education.

Winnipeg is a great place to live, and many international students decide they would like to stay and work in Canada after graduation. If you choose, you can apply to stay and work in Manitoba after graduation through the Manitoba Provincial Nominee Program.

You can also apply for the post-graduation work permit program, which allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience for up to three years after graduating.

Contact the International Centre to learn more about immigration and employment opportunities.

Chat with us

Our student ambassadors represent our diverse community and can offer their perspective on different aspects of university life, from their personal experiences in their chosen program to more practical matters such as living and working on campus. Browse our list of available students and start chatting today.


Contact us

Undergraduate Student Recruitment
4th floor UMSU University Centre
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus)
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Toll free: 1-800-224-7713 ext:8808