Short-Term Academic English Programming
The English Language Centre is now offering short-term courses delivered both in person and remotely.
Obtain the same quality instruction students receive in our full-time Intensive Academic English Program!
About the program
Short-term programs are intended for students who want to improve their English and plan to study for a half-term at the English Language Centre.
Students who take the short-term program:
- will be completing half of a level/term in the Intensive Academic English Program (IAEP) and will receive a letter of accomplishment. Students cannot advance to the next level. In order to do so, they must successfully complete a full level/term (14 weeks).
- will only be placed in the Foundations Level or Levels 1-4
Students who need to meet the University of Manitoba’s English language proficiency requirement must apply to the full-time IAEP and enrol in full levels/term (14 weeks), and successfully complete Level 5/ Academic English Program for University and College Entrance (AEPUCE).
Please see intakes and dates below.
Important dates and deadlines
Winter 2024 intakes
Jan. 8, 2024 -
Feb. 23, 2024Winter A
Mar. 4, 2024 -
Apr. 19, 2024Winter B
Deadline to Apply: November 1, 2023
Spring 2024 intakes
May. 6, 2024 -
Jun. 28, 2024Spring A
Jul. 8, 2024 -
Aug. 16, 2024Spring B
Deadline to Apply: April 1, 2024
Fall 2024 intake
Sep. 3, 2024 -
Oct. 18, 2024Fall A
Deadline to Apply: August 1, 2024
- be 17 or older before the start of term.
- meet Canadian Study Permit (visa) requirements.
- read, understand and abide by all program guidelines, including the refund policy
- students will be required to take the Duolingo English Test (DET). This test will determine which level students are placed in.
The ELC reserves the right to place students in a level the Centre believes is appropriate for maximum learning.
Application and program fees
|Fee type||Fee amount|
|ELC application fee||$175.00|
*Fees are subject to change without notice and are listed in Canadian Funds (CAD) unless otherwise stated.
Students will also be required to pay the Guard.me insurance fee
Students will receive their Letter of Acceptance once payments have been received. The balance of fees is due one month before the program start date.
Please send completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org