The CADLab offers a computer lab, self-service scanners, network laser printers and equipment loans for Faculty of Architecture students and faculty.
Note: Masks must be worn in all Faculty of Architecture areas.
What we offer
Wide format printing
Wide format printing is available in the CADLab office at room 124 in the Architecture 2 Building.
Files can be submitted digitally to email@example.com or by sharing a cloud storage link (OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.). You can stop by in person with your file(s) on a USB stick.
- Printing services are provided only to current University of Manitoba staff and students
- When submitting your files electronically, please indicate what paper you would like to print on (see "Pricing and sizes" below). Also let us know what size you expect your file to be.
- We do not modify your files. If you require your file to be resized, cropped, or edited in any way, please do so before dropping off your files. See section below "Preparing your file".
We accept Debit, Visa, or Mastercard.
If your Faculty or Department is paying for your prints (via FOP), please download and complete the printing payment form.
Please ensure that the financial authority's name, office phone number, signature and account usage justification are on the form before submitting your file. Incomplete payment forms will not be accepted. Please have the financial authority email us giving authorization for you to print to the account.
Pricing and sizes
Prices listed below are per square foot. For example a 36"x48" poster is 3'x4' which is 12 square feet.
The maximum dimensions of your poster can be either:
- 42" roll: 41.5" x 120"
- 36" roll: 35.5" x 120"
Minimum size charge: 2' x 2' (4 square feet). If the combined area of your poster(s) is less than 4 square feet, we will charge you as if it was 4 square feet.
Roll widths are listed below.
In order to compensate for excess waste, we also charge based on a minimum width of 24". For example, if fitting your poster to a 42" or 36" roll results in less than 24" being printed across the roll, we will calculate the square footage as 24" x the length of your poster. This will mostly be an issue for people printing very narrow, but very long posters (longer than 42" or 36"). In that case, please consider doubling up with a friend, or adding additional prints to make more efficient use of paper.
|Canon High Quality Inkjet Printer||Colour & B&W|
|Matte Canvas (42" roll)||$5.25|
|Satin Gloss (42" roll)||$4.50|
|Photo Matte (42" roll)||$4.00|
Customer Supplied Sheets
|Oce Production Quality Printer|
|White Film (36" roll)||$3.00|
|Semi Opaque Film (36" roll)||$2.75|
|Adhesive Bond (36" roll)||$2.25|
|Heavy Bond (42" roll)||$2.00|
|Translucent Bond (36" roll)||$1.50|
|Light Bond (42" roll)||$1.00|
We can also print on customer-supplied paper up to 44" wide on the Canon printer. Most of the common cut sheets sold at the UofM Bookstore will work. Paper types include: Strathmore/Strathmore Museum, Mayfair, Stonehedge/Maidstone, vellum and Crystal Mohawk. Other similar papers may work as well but we cannot guarantee compatibility. Nor can we guarantee any level of colour matching due to the differing white points and densities of the papers. Please ensure that you leave a margin of no less than 1/4 of an inch on 3 sides and 2 inches on the last side (this should be on one of the short sides) on your image as the printer cannot print right to the end of a sheet.
We can trim prints up to 60" in length. If either the width or height of your poster is greater than 60", you will need to trim the poster yourself. We also reserve the right to withhold cutting services for large batch jobs (many small individual images, for example).
Preparing your file
Please ensure that your files are sized to the correct dimensions and that all images have adequate resolution for the size you are printing. We will not modify posters and images. Double check your files to ensure there are no errors! CADLab staff are not responsible for files with spelling mistakes, corrupt images, wrong fonts, and other problems that sometimes show up in PDF files.
Do not add crop marks! We will add our own full-length crop marks to make cutting easier.
PDF files are accepted for wide-format printing. Our printing software does not accept Powerpoint or AutoCAD files. The customer is responsible for converting the files to PDF before delivery to CADLab. TIFs and JPEGs for image files are accepted (ie. photos).
If printing on canvas and additional space is required around your poster for framing, please ensure that you've added sufficient white space as your border.
The CADLab has equipment available for loan to Faculty of Architecture staff and students. To borrow equipment, email or call the Print Shop to check for equipment availability. Please have your student/staff card available.
Most items listed were purchased through the Faculty of Architecture Student Innovation and Enrichment Fund (SIEF). If there is equipment you would like to have available for sign-out, please visit the other funding opportunities portion of the Funding and awards website. There you will find information about how you can submit a proposal for new equipment purchases.
- Equipment can only be signed out by Faculty of Architecture students and staff.
- As the equipment is purchased from SIEF, student's needs have priority over staff.
- Equipment must be returned on the date and time indicated on the sign-out form. Failure to do so will result in fines and possibly the loss of borrowing privileges. Items must be brought back before 12:00pm on the due date. If the equipment is brought back after that time, a $5.00 fine will be assessed and an additional $5.00 will be assessed for each extra day that the equipment is not returned. If you are unable to come in at the time indicated, please call and request an extension.
- When borrowing equipment you are required to sign an agreement and are responsible for any damage, loss or theft that occurs while the equipment is in your care.
Laptops & projectors
The following equipment is available to sign out for a maximum loan time of 1 month
- 15" 2021 Dell Precision 5560 (x10)
- 13" 2015 Macbook Pro (macOS 11 & Windows 10 Pro) (x5)
- 2019 iPad Air (3rd Gen) (x1)
The following equipment is available to sign out for a maximum loan time of 2 days
- BenQ Short Throw HD Projector (x6)
- Panasonic Classroom Projector (x2)
The following cameras and accessories are available to sign out for a maximum loan time of 5 days
- Canon EOS RP Full Frame Mirrorless Camera (x20)
- Canon RF 85mm F2 Macro IS STM (x3)
- Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L Wide Angle IS USM (x5)
- Canon RF 16mm F2.8 Ultra Wide Angle STM (x1)
- Canon 430EX III RT Speedlite Flash (x5)
- Sony A7S Full Frame Mirrorless Camera (x1)
- Canon EOS 6D Full Frame DSLR Camera (x2)
- Canon Rebel T5i APS-C DSLR Camera (x3)
- Canon Macro Lens EF 100mm F/2.8 USM (x2)
- Canon Macro Lens 105mm F/2.8 EX DG (x2)
- Canon Macro Lens 20/50mm Zeiss Planar T* 20/50mm (x1)
- Canon Macro Lens EF 50mm F/2.5 Compact (x1)
- Canon Wide-Angle Lens AF 10-20mm F/3.5 EX DC HSM (x2)
- Canon Wide-Angle Lens 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC (x2)
- Canon Wide-Angle Lens EF 14mm F/2.8L II USM Ultra Wide (x1)
- Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Tilt Shift Lens (x1)
- Nikon D5100 APS-C DSLR Camera (x6)
- Nikon Macro Lens AF 105mm F/2.8 EX DG (x2)
- Nikon Macro Lens AF 70mm F2.8 EX DG (x2)
- Nikon Wide-Angle Lens AF 10-20mm F/4-5.6 EX (x4)
- Nikon Micro Lens AF-S Nikkor 60mm 1:2.8 G ED
- Nikon PC-E Nikkor 24mm f/3.5D ED Tilt Shift Lens
- Nikon SB-600 Speedlight flash (x1)
The following video cameras are available to sign out for a maximum loan time of 5 days
- Canon HF-11 HD (x4)
- GoPro Hero 4 Black Edition (x3)
- GoPro Hero 3+ (x3)
Audio recorders & accessories
The following equipment is available to sign out for a maximum loan time of 5 days
- Sony PCM-D50 (x3)
- Zoom H4N (x1)
- Zoom H2 (x1)
- Sound Level Meter (x2)
- Rode Shotgun Mic (x3)
The following equipment is available to sign out for a maximum loan time of 3 days
- Logitech Desktop Speakers (x2)
- Fender Passport Conference Speakers + Speaker Tripods (x1)
- Bluetooth Party Speakers (x2)
- Bose QuietComfort 25 Noise Cancelling Headphones (x3)
The following equipment is available to sign out for a maximum loan time of 7 days
- Wacom Cintiq Pro 13" Drawing Tablet (x2)
- Wacom Intuos Pro Drawing Tablet (x2)
- Plustek Opticfilm 7600 Slide Scanner (x1)
- Tripod (x15) Monopod (x2) SLR Gorillapod (x2) GoPro Gorillapod (x4)
- Lightmeters (x7
The following equipment is available to sign out for a maximum loan time of 5 days
- FLIR One Pro Infrared Cameras (for iOS and Android) (x8)
We also have a variety of adapters and cables available.
For Faculty of Architecture Students & Staff
Prices and availability are subject to change.
Note: Not all software is required by every student. Check your program requirements. Staff may have other options available and should contact CADLab to confirm.
|Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, etc)||Adobe Education Site||
CAD $25.99 (per month)
|Autodesk - AutoCAD, Revit, 3dsmax, and more||Autodesk Education||Free|
|Enscape||Enscape||USD $149 (1 year)|
|ESRI ArcGIS Pro||Email UML GIS and request access||Free|
|Microsoft Office||UofM IST - Office 365||Free|
|NVivo||QSR International||USD $99 (1 year)|
|Rhinoceros 3D||UofM Bookstore||$279.99 one time|
|Sketchup Studio||Trimble||USD $55 (1 year)|
Last update 2023-02-15
124 Architecture 2 Building
56 Curry Place
Faculty of Architecture
University of Manitoba
(Fort Garry Campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 5V6 Canada