Learn more about the groups and committees that support Wawatay.
Two main groups, guide, execute and fund the Wawatay program. They are:
Carrie Selin (PhD Department of Microbiology)
Wawatay Academic Program Lead
Carrie Selin is the point contact for members of the community and a guide for program participants. Selin helps to ensure each student is comfortable, points students to the right resource if problems arise and arrange academic and personal support. Selin also organizes workshops and activities shaping the Wawatay program and the student's future.
Melanie Lalonde (PhD Department of Biological Sciences)
Wawatay Academic Program Coordinator
External advisory board
The dean of the Faculty of Science selected the members of this board based on their recognized expertise in science, education and/or Indigenous communities. The group meets quarterly so it can oversee the strategic direction of the program, raise funds for the program as well as offer operational suggestions as needed.
The external members include:
- Roger Dube - Emeritus Professor at Rochester Institute of Technology and enrolled member of Abenaki Nation
- Tony Williams - Chairperson of the Verna J Kirkness Education Foundation
- Stewart Hill - Senior Research and Policy Analyst at Manitoba Keewatinowki Okimakanak
- Stephenie Waterman - Associate Professor at the University of Toronto and Onondaga Elder
- Bernie Petit - Education Coordinator-Indigenous Programs, Science Division; Canadian Light Source Inc.
Wawatay - Faculty of Science
239 Machray Hall
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 2N2 Canada