Convocation day schedule
The Convocation Ceremony for the Fort Garry Campus will be held in the Investors Group Athletic Centre (IGAC). On the day of your ceremony, you should report to the James Daly Field House in the Max Bell Centre to pick up your gown and find your position in the procession.
- Report to the James Daly Field House in the Max Bell Centre 60 - 90 min. before your ceremony.
- Have your photo ID with you to pick up your procession card. The card has your name, earned degree, and number in the procession line.
- There is a phonetic pronunciation space at the bottom of the card. Please fill it in to help the presenter correctly pronounce your name
- Pick up your gown, hood and mortarboard at the Gaspard table.
- If you received an Indigenous graduation scarf at the Annual Traditional Graduation Pow Wow, wear it for the ceremony. You can also pick up an Indigenous graduation scarf at the James Daly Field House on the day of the ceremony.
- You can have individual professional portraits taken at the field house.
- Follow the signs to join your group before and after the ceremony.
- Line up as directed by the Registrar's Office staff.
- Attend the post-convocation reception with your guests. The reception will be held outside Investors Group Athletic Centre.
What to wear to your convocation ceremony
The convocation ceremony is a formal occasion, so dress clothes are appropriate. We recommend that you leave your valuables with a friend or family member.
Wear only the university-approved regalia to cross the stage. University-approved academic regalia includes robes, mortarboards, hoods or stoles, and Indigenous graduation scarves.
Indigenous students can wear traditional Indigenous attire in addition to or in lieu of the other approved academic regalia (gowns, hoods, etc.). You can also pick up an Indigenous graduation scarf at the James Day Field House on the day of your ceremony.
- Corsages and boutonnieres
- Fraternity or sorority adornments
Attending convocation virtually
If you or one of your guests is unable to attend the in-person ceremony you can still attend virtually! Review the below article and familiarize yourself with UM's Virtual Convocation Platform.
Official graduation photos
Artona photographers will be set up in the Max Bell Centre on the day of convocation for individual and family portrait sessions before and after the ceremony. You'll be photographed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Accessibility at convocation
Please contact Student Accessibility Services a minimum of two weeks before your convocation ceremony date for assistance with seating, sign language interpretation, or other accessibility support.
Student Accessibility Services
There are mobility-friendly seating areas on the main floor of IGAC. There are two wheelchairs available to take guests from the front of IGAC to the accessible seating area, however, the wheelchairs are not available for use during the ceremony or reception.
For guests with accessibility or mobility challenges, there is room for one support person to be seated with you. Should you have any questions, please ask an usher in a blue gown.
Accessible parking will be available in P Lot on Sidney Smith Street.
Parking at convocation
Complimentary parking is available in U Lot off Chancellor Matheson Road and in Q Lot on Dysart Road, across from St. Paul's College. Please note that complimentary parking for Spring Convocation will be available all day on June 6, 7, and 8. On June 9, parking will be complimentary until 1 PM.
The public parkade, located on Ralph Campbell Road off Sidney Smith Street, is available for parking, but an hourly rate is charged. Accessible parking is also available in P Lot on Sidney Smith Street.
Family and friends attending convocation
To help ensure each graduate can have people attend the ceremony to cheer them on, we kindly ask that you limit your in-person guests to 5 people. Family and friends also have the option of attending the ceremony virtually through the interactive event portal on the UM website.
Guests should use the designated entrance to IGAC and should not accompany graduates to the Field House.
Doors to IGAC open one hour before the scheduled start of the ceremony. Guests are advised to be in their seats at least 15 minutes prior to the beginning of the ceremony. All guest seating is bleacher seating, which should be accessed from the third-floor level. Please use caution when going up or down the stairs.
Children are welcome, but keep in mind the ceremony is approximately 2 to 2.5 hours long. Due to fire regulations, baby strollers cannot be left in the aisles of IGAC.
For family and friends who are unable to attend the ceremony, a live webcast of the convocation ceremony will be broadcast.
Available for purchase at the ceremony
In-person – If you are visiting in-person, you are required to check in to our virtual queue.
Registrar's Office - Graduation and Convocation
Room 400 UMSU University Centre
65 Chancellor's Circle
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry campus)
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2 Canada