Depositing theses or practica step by step
Describe (page 1)
For each name, use the Lookup function FIRST:
- Enter name as “Family (last) Name, First Name”
- Wait until Processing indication disappears
- Select the name with the ORCID ID (ensure the ID is correct or the wrong person with the same name will be assigned)
- There may be duplications of the same person; if this is the case, choose one of the profiles.
- If the name cannot be found, exit the Look up and add their name in the text boxes with respective information and then click ADD.
- Enter in order of author list (i.e. First author is to be entered first etc.)
- If Lookup is used, after name selection the name will appear in the text boxes; Click ADD.
- If Lookup does not provide the name with corresponding ORCID, then add the name in text boxes; Click ADD.
- If a name has been entered incorrectly, the name can be selected to be removed HOWEVER the author order is not maintained and so all following names will need to be re-entered.
Identify the main title of the work; if the title and/or body of the work is in a language other than English, enter the non-English title here.
- Enter the title of work in the text box in sentence format respecting capitalization of proper nouns corresponding to the given language.
3. Other or alternative title
If the title is in another language other than English, provide the English equivalent title here.
- Enter the title of work in the text box in sentence format respecting capitalization of proper nouns corresponding to the language rules of the title.
Consider applying an existing abstract if available or otherwise compose a concise summary that would aid in discovery; there is a maximum of 300 words.
- Enter the abstract or descriptive paragraph for the work.
5. Manitoba-related thesis or practicum
Select NO, it will be deposited in the Faculty of Graduate Studies Theses/Practica collection only. Select YES if it meets the following criteria; it will be placed in both the Manitoba Heritage Theses and the Faculty of Graduate Studies Theses/Practica collections.
- Specific mention of a city and/or location in the province
- Topic reflects local issues, history, cultures, ethnic groups, languages, flora or fauna
- Content refers to persons associated with the province
- Check NO or YES according to the Guidance above.
Consider including author keyword and other descriptive words and phrases:
- DO NOT ENTER ALL KEYWORDS ON ONE LINE
- Consider words that are synonyms or common alternative descriptors that are not found in the title or abstract.
- Enter the word or phrase and click ADD.
Select from the drop down menu the option that best describes the language conditions of the text. Options include: English, French, Chinese, German, Icelandic, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Turkish, Multiple languages, Other.
- Enter the relevant language or condition from the drop down menu.
8. Thesis or practicum date
If content within the thesis or practicum has been published elsewhere, include that date here; otherwise enter today’s date (i.e. date of deposit).
- Enter the date: the YYYY is required; MM and DD is optional.
Describe (page 2)
From the drop-down menu select the degree the work of study is intended for.
- Select the appropriate degree from the drop-down menu.
10. Program of study
From the drop-down menu select the program of study for the work; this list is current and provided by Faculty of Graduate Studies.
- Select the appropriate program of study from the drop-down menu.
11. Graduation date
From the drop-down menu select the intended date of graduation; if the date of graduation is NOT found in the list, contact your Student Program Assistant.
- Select the appropriate date from the drop-down menu.
- Enter Last name and First name in respective textboxes; click ADD.
13. Examining committee
Enter only 1 committee member per line; enter in the following way: LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME (Internal Department or Institution Affiliation) e.g., Barber, David (Earth Observation Sciences) Blair, Danny (University of Winnipeg)
- Enter Last name, First name (Affiliation) in textbox; click ADD.
14. Invited member
Only 1 member can be entered; enter in the following way: LASTNAME, FIRSTNAME (Internal Department or Institution Affiliation) e.g.
- Enter Last name, First name (Affiliation) in textbox; click ADD.
Describe (page 3)
This section is ONLY APPLICABLE if the student received direct funding for the thesis research. If the thesis was conducted under indirect funding sources (e.g., program or advisor funding), this section can be skipped.
15. Primary funder name
Completing this field is strongly encouraged for improved discovery to the Tri-Agencies.
- If you have received funding, enter the primary funder name; no acronyms (1 name only)
- Enter the formal proper name of the funder; select the name using the Crossref Funder Search or download the .csv file for the full list
- Example: Canadian Institutes of Health Research
- Enter the primary funder full name.
16. Primary funder identifier
Completing this field is strongly encouraged for improved discovery to the Tri-Agencies
- The funder name entered in the previous field has a corresponding identifier: enter the identifier here
- Find the name and corresponding identifier using the Crossref Funder Search or download the .csv file for the full list.
- Example: Canadian Institutes of Health Research’s identifier https://doi.org/10.13039/501100000024
- Enter the primary funder DOI.
Add this information that corresponds to the information provided by the respective primary funder name and id.
- To look up the relevant Tri-Agency award names and related information
- CIHR Funded Research Database
- NSERC Award Database
- SSHRC Awards Search Engine
- For Award numbers, see What is the Funding Reference Number; About the Unique Grant Number
- Title: Enter the award full name.
- Number: Enter the unique grant or award number.
- URL: Enter the link address of the grant/award landing page
18. Additional funding and/or sponsors
Add all additional funding information
- For each award enter in the following order (per line):
- Funder/sponsor name (in full); grant name; grant ID
- Enter information in large text boxes according to the order indicated in the guidance for this field.
Upload (PAGE 4)
The following should be prepared before upload:
- DO upload the principal work first (e.g., thesis/practicum or research paper). For a thesis/practicum, the file should be named as LastName_FirstName.pdf (e.g., Doe_Jane.pdf).
- Supplemental files should be named using alphanumerics, lower case, and underscores (e.g., experiment_data_1.csv).
- Supported formats include: textual (.doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt), image (.png, .jpeg), audio (…); see also Content policy
- DO NOT upload password-protected files.
- DO NOT upload a thesis/practicum in a format other than PDF.
- DO NOT apply a thesis/practicum embargo unless you have received prior permission from the Faculty of Graduate Studies (email email@example.com); otherwise, DO NOT APPLY
- If embargo is permitted to be applied, embargo reason MUST BE provided and state that permission has been granted. See also Thesis Approval Process and Assistance with Deposit.
- If multiple files are to be deposited (ie. Supplemental files), each file can have its own access (open v. embargo) with its own release date
- File Description: Enter a phrase or word descriptor that describes the work (e.g. thesis/practicum); for supplemental work enter “Supplemental: [word/phrase descriptor]”
- Embargo release date: use the calendar popup or type in the date
- Embargo reason: include the justification for the embargo; see the following examples for some standard language:
- Publisher stipulates a 12 month embargo for green deposit
- Patent pending; embargo required for IP protection
Copyright license (page 5)
This page contains the Copyright License. Depositors must enter their student number and verify name (name is pre-populated). Check the box to indicate acceptance.
Review (page 6)
This page allows depositor to review and/or revise metadata provided on any of the previous pages.
Distribution license (page 7)
The current Distribution License that asks the depositor to agree to various release conditions.
Complete submission (page 8)
The display text states the following: ‘Your submission will now go through the review process for this collection. You will receive e-mail notification as soon as your submission has joined the collection, or if there is a problem with your submission. You may also check on the status of your submission by visiting your submissions page.”
The thesis record is now available for the respective Faculty of Graduate Studies Student Program Advisor of the thesis/practicum program to review. Once the record/thesis-practicum deposit has been approved, the record will be publicly available with a permanent URL (i.e., handle) added.
Thesis and practicum approval process
Once the thesis/practicum has been submitted, the respective Student Program Advisor (SPA) of the thesis/practicum will review the record and any conditions (such as embargo) that may have been added to any attached items. If there are any errors to the record information or the item itself found by either the student or the SPA, the record WILL NOT BE RELEASED until the concerns have been addressed. Students are reminded that as part of the deposit process they will acknowledge the Copyright Declaration which puts the onus on the student to ensure all copyright and license conditions are respected. Depending on the timing of the deposit and any necessary corrections, the release of the record and the attached thesis/practicum may take several weeks. It is recommended that students deposit at least 1 week before the deadline to aid in the review process. If there are questions regarding the duration and/or review process, contact the Student Program Advisor of the respective program. See also: Faculty of Graduate Studies: Submitting to MSpace and Depositing help & FAQ.