Mature students: Returning to school can be daunting, especially if you've been away for a while. Watch as Culley talks about his experience as a mature student and discusses some of the supports available to help you bridge the gap between your last educational experience and now.

Transfer students: UM makes it easy to transfer credits from another institution. Watch as Jaron walks through the process of applying as a transfer student and provides an overview of what you can expect throughout the application process.

My best advice for a future applicant as a mature student would be: just take the leap because I was in the same position as you and I took the leap and I am here now, four years later, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Culley Kipling Fourth year, Faculty of Arts

Transfer students

If you have completed one or more years (24 credit hours) of university study, you can apply via the advanced entry route. Transfer students from other universities may receive a maximum of two years (60 credit hours) of transferable credit to be applied towards a UM degree, subject to faculty regulations and requirements.

We assess transfer credit after we have received your application, which includes your transcripts and course outlines. Each course is assessed by the applicable unit on campus and assigned a UM equivalent, if one exists. Apply now to begin the process of transferring your credits!

Mature students

We recognize that mature students often need extra support to achieve their goals when balancing their studies with family, financial obligations, and other personal commitments. We can provide timely, relevant and accurate information during the academic year and assistance with course selection, registration and degree planning.

For admission purposes, UM considers a mature student to be anyone 21 years of age or older and missing the regular high school entrance requirements. This student application type is only open to Canadian Citizens and permanent residents.

If you have any questions about applying or attending university as a mature student, don't hesitate to contact us at or

Contact us

Undergraduate Student Recruitment
4th floor UMSU University Centre
University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus)
Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Toll free: 1-800-224-7713 ext:8808